Major Surgery, Major Stress

Options
brb2008
brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
I'm glad to have found this group. I allowed myself to get to 316 pounds before finally realizing I would need to address my emotions before I could manage my emotional eating. For the most part I feel better just being aware of the problem and I try to ask myself "Why are you wanting to eat this right now?" to curb emotional eating. I've lost 100lbs (as of today) and seeing my progress has further added to my resolve to keep at it.

The issue I'm facing right now and need some support on is that I'm having a double jaw surgery on Wednesday, which will be very intense and there are a lot of stresses involved. I had to lose weight to be able to have it done, and I'm only about ~5lbs below their maximum weight (being so close makes me nervous, and I've been extra cautious about calories). I bloat easily and next week is my period so I'm concerned about being so close so now more than ever I HAVE to be watching my calories. I have a nice "last meal" planned (since I'll have my jaws shut and on a liquid diet for 4-6 weeks), and I'm looking forward to that as a reward for being good.

But I found myself a few nights this week just eating anything I could get my hands on, a true binge. It stopped when I was tired and went to sleep, not because I was full. Does anyone have any helpful words or advice on how to keep my emotions from leaking into my food choices? I know what good choices to make and have so many options at home, its just when I'm on the verge of tears I cram food down my throat like it's going to solve the issue. But the anxiety is real, and its not going anywhere until after Wednesday. Would love to just not feel alone in all this.

Replies

• carlaunderconstruction
    carlaunderconstruction Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have issues with binge eating in relation to my anxiety. You have nothing you can do about your situation, just how you manage your anxiety. I try to exercise regularly to curb, some of my anxiety. Yoga, and deep breathing sometimes helps. Honestly though sometimes despite using coping strategies for me it comes down to eating or taking an anti-anxiety med (ativan). Good luck with your surgery, and I hope you have a quick recovery.
  • MrsC1st
    MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that you may do to curb anxiety are getting extra rest, exercise, and indulge in hobbies you enjoy; other than eating. You can try getting out of the house as much as possible before your surgery. You may want to try eating four to six small meals a day to curb binge eating, and try to eat a lot of fruit/ vegetables. It may help to use deep breathing exercises or meditation. Just a few things that I could think of, as I'm an emotional eater too. When all else fails for me, I take everything that is bothering me out on the treadmill, stationary bike, and five pound weights. Hope you have a quick recovery from your surgery :)