24 Hour Shifts and Eating?

Options
Who works 24 hours shift? How and what do you eat on shift to keep the calories down. Also do you have a workout you do on shift that does not require a gym or equipment?

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I got to the grocery store in the morning and buy food for the day. Usually stuff to make sandwiches and a piece of fruit. Check my diary from yesterday for an example. I don't usually work out at the base, we don't have any equipment and I'm generally too tired to care when I'm there. On rare occasion I will do scoobie's rotisserie workout. It only takes 4 mins and it torches your core.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to work thirds. Pack lunch/dinner to help combat eating out and grabbing fast food.
    Do you get go workout while at work? How much time
    Do you get and do you have time to shower after?
  • HikerMom03
    Options
    Pack your own food!!!! I have a partner that I **** you not will bring a HUGE cooler of food. It's all healthy and it's the only way he stays on track. I grab a lot of low-0 calorie foods to mindlessly eat during long shifts with nothing to do.

To workout I will run up and down fire fighting station stairs, do some squats, life heavy bags and squat, yoga, anything I can do really.
  • ballr01
    ballr01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For myself I am away from home for 5 days at a time , so I plan for the week. I will use recipe option create a dish separate into small portions 200-350 cal compliment with low cal snacks and fruit. Try to keep in mind the food groups and when away from base over a meal keep in check my options on road to be healthy choices. Just started a kettle bell work out takes 20 min a day, something to do while in uniform and a app on iphone.
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do a number of things. Typically when I'm at work at the fire department, we usually have enough time to grill or cook unless its a fluke day. We grill chicken, pork, and try to eat healthy. We're up at 6 am to try and run towers and laps as well (I'm fortunate to work at a smaller fire dept with our own training grounds)

When I work on the ambulance for a different company at my part time job, though is another issue. Hardly any time to cook or prepare food. So yeah, often we do succumb to fast food. Best suggestions I can offer there is make yourself some premade meals that are healthy, take them with you. Take some fruit and vegetables with you as well.
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ballr01 wrote: »
    For myself I am away from home for 5 days at a time .
    Wow! What do you do for work?
  • ballr01
    Options
    I am a Paramedic in Saskatchewan Canada. We work a 12 hr shift then 12 hr standby wake do again in a 5-5-4 rotation.
  • ballr01
    Options
    I am a Paramedic in Saskatchewan Canada. We work a 12 hr shift then 12 hr standby wake do again in a 5-5-4 rotation.

Best career choice ever I made!
  • ballr01
    Options
    mohawkRN wrote: »
    For myself I am away from home for 5 days at a time .
    Wow! What do you do for work?
    Sorry didn't reply to your question not very tech savvy
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been making my meals at home and bringing them with me. If I forget or don't have time, I've been trying to go the a grocery store instead of the fast food or gas stations.