How Many Calories do you burn??

ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
I was just reading through the thread in the general forums about 1000+ calorie burns. I know I have to run very far to burn 1000 and bike even longer. So for the sake of comparison, and just for kicks, how far do you have to run to burn 1000 calories? What's your gender, age and weight? And can someone explain to me why a man who is the same weight as me burns more calories?
So I am female, 38, 140 lbs. I have to run 11.5 miles to burn 1000. Which at a 9mm takes about an hour and 43 minutes. Or I have to ride 40 miles at 20 mph (outdoors, it's even longer inside) on my bike to burn 1000., which takes 2 hours. How about you?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I am 32, 5'6" I weigh 119 and burn 1000 calories when I run for about 1 hour, 30-40 minutes at an 8 min mile pace....so like 12ish miles or so. But I continue to burn after, so I usually end up around 1100 or whatever by the time I am back at the front door.

Edited after checking my garmin connect. Looks like I hit 1000 a little closer to 1.5-1 hr 40 min range depending on the pace.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Here is what it takes me to burn 1000 calories. These numbers have dropped significantly as I lost weight.
    Just for reference, I am 6'2" and 200lbs (Male 39).

Running (Easy effort): 85-90 minutes.
    Road Cycling (Moderate effort): 120+ minutes
    MTB Geared (Moderate effort): 100-110 minutes
    MTB SS (Moderate effort): 85-90 minutes

Back in my fat days I could get 1000 calories around 60-70 minutes running and cycling.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    I am 29, female, 127lbs and 5'-6". I have to run for around 10.5 miles to burn 1000 calories. Which takes me around 86 minutes at an easy pace (marathon pace).

I burned 2600 calories running a marathon. I see guys logging that kind of numbers for runs WAY shorter than 26.2 miles. I hate them! Haha

***Edited because apparently I can't do basic math! lol
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

10 miles running usually will do the trick :) doesn't matter the pace.

Jose- I think you meant 86 min :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    34, 155lbs

My usual 5 mile daily runs will burn about 575-625, or about 125cals/mi at a 9ish pace. So, about 8mi for 1,000 cals.

Or 2 laps around that one girl's magical unicorn track.
  • ZenInTexas
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

So somebody who knows more about physiology explain this to me. If Josee, Victoria and I are all running 10 miles at an 8mm why do they burn more calories? Because they are younger? I would think I would have a higher burn because I am heavier. What am I missing here?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    On a flat course, Very good day (Barely no humidity)

I'm 5'7, 164 and have to run 10 miles to burn 1000 Calories.
  • ZenInTexas
    34, 155lbs

My usual 5 mile daily runs will burn about 575-625, or about 125cals/mi at a 9ish pace. So, about 8mi for 1,000 cals.

Or 2 laps around that one girl's magical unicorn track.

She lives in Katy....I'm going to find that magical track!!
  • runner475
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

So somebody who knows more about physiology explain this to me. If Josee, Victoria and I are all running 10 miles at an 8mm why do they burn more calories? Because they are younger? I would think I would have a higher burn because I am heavier. What am I missing here?

I think count the muscle mass. I'm jus' throwing it there or talking loud. I don't know.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I usually burn about 70-75 cals/mile, so it would take me roughly a half marathon or so to burn 1000 cals. I'm female, 5'0" and weigh about 105 lbs. I usually run a pace somewhere between 9:15-10:15 min/mile.
  • Carrieendar
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

I'm wondering this, too. I thought my numbers were weird so I went and checked and my garmin has me hitting 1000 around 11,12,13 miles depending pace. I'm kinda wondering if my HRM is off...
  • _Josee_
    I think higher vO2 max = more calories burned ? I don't know. I'm using Garmin data so it's probably not that accurate. I know that I don't really burn more if I run faster (I just run for less time, so it comes down to the same cal/mile)
  • runner475
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

I'm wondering this, too. I thought my numbers were weird so I went and checked and my garmin has me hitting 1000 around 11,12,13 miles depending pace. I'm kinda wondering if my HRM is off...

I burn 800 calories running barely 6 miles if I'm running around neighborhood. I live in a very hilly terrain. That's why I looked up at my garmin to specify the run information of flat 10 miler I did.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

One is in Canada, the other is in Southern Canada, and you're running below sea level?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

I don't know much but here's some of my guesses lol

1- my heart rate is usually in the 150-160s even when running easy
    2- height???? Body fat??
    3- age??

Haha I really have no idea. I don't really even know how many call I burn in 10 miles.. I feel like it's probably more than 1000 lol I'm always hungry & I don't gain weight even when I eat wayyy over my calories. I don't understand it
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I am pretty sure that HR plays a part of this. I also think that even when wearing the HRM it is still an estimate.
  • ZenInTexas
    130 5'8" 22 y/o

One is in Canada, the other is in Southern Canada, and you're running below sea level?
    That explains it. :laugh:
  • Carrieendar
    My garmin says I burned almost 1000 at a track workout the other day that was only like 70 min long. I'm guessing that has to do with number of intervals run. I never even thought of the whole calories burnt thing until I joined MFP and read racing weight (part of the quick start is to have a slight calorie deficit). this is all new to me!
  • ZenInTexas
    I think higher vO2 max = more calories burned ? I don't know. I'm using Garmin data so it's probably not that accurate. I know that I don't really burn more if I run faster (I just run for less time, so it comes down to the same cal/mile)

Do you wear a HRM when running? My calories burned according to Garmin are always much less when wearing my HRM as opposed to what it says when I don't wear it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member

We probably needed to include what our method of determining the calorie burn was. I am sure that different HRMs give a different burn rate. I know the 910xt has a different calorie calculator than my previous 305 did.

Then you factor in HR, conditioning, weather, altitude, etc.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    The last time I burnt 1K+ calories was on Sunday and that was while running 10 miles...took me 1 hr 52 minutes (I am a slow runner).
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member

We probably needed to include what our method of determining the calorie burn was. I am sure that different HRMs give a different burn rate. I know the 910xt has a different calorie calculator than my previous 305 did.

Ditto on the HRM, especially my garmin 405 one. It gives me the lowest calorie burn.

Height: 5'4
    Weight: 119
    Burn: about 90-96 calories per mile at a 9-10min mile pace with my garmin 310xt and 70-76 calories per mile with my garmin 405cx!!
    But in general, around 11 miles would give me 1,000
  • ZenInTexas

Ditto on the HRM, especially my garmin 405 one. It gives me the lowest calorie burn.

Height: 5'4
    Weight: 119
    Burn: about 90-96 calories per mile at a 9-10min mile pace with my garmin 310xt and 70-76 calories per mile with my garmin 405cx!!
    But in general, around 11 miles would give me 1,000
    So I think what I need is a different Garmin....:laugh:
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member

So I think what I need is a different Garmin....:laugh:

That, or what Doug has deemed the "magical unicorn track"! (I would totally donate to a kickstarter campaign for one of those...)
  • Carrieendar
    I am totally missing something on this unicorn track thing. >.> <.<
  • _Josee_
    I use my Garmin 210 HRM.

So is this a good excuse to buy that new 620 i've been eyeing ?!? (Please say yes!)

I'm also eating way over my calories (you should see the things I don't always log... LOL) and not gaining.
    But like Victoria, my HR is always in the 150-160 even at my easy pace. Maybe this is it. Or maybe it's the Canada thing. haha
  • Carrieendar
    I have the 220 and its fantastic. I would say, yes, yes, any reason is good if you can afford the 620. And someone convince my husband he can get me one for Christmas and then he can have my 220 and purple is not such a bad color on a man ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    I am totally missing something on this unicorn track thing. >.> <.<

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/581826-people-who-are-burning-1000-calories-a-day?page=10
    I wear a heart rate monitor, it includes a wrist watch and a chest strap. I walk laps on the track behind my house. Each lap burns 200 calories...I also use 2lb dumbells also while listening to the workout radio on pandora. 8 laps are 1000 calories. remember your heartrate is what tells how many calories your burning. MFP is not accurate at all.

also, ive used various brands of hrm and they've all calculated similar calculations. each person is different.

One lap is 200 calories, but 8 is only 1000... and then she later replies saying that the track isn't really a track but a lap around her neighborhood, at an undetermined time/distance
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    I use my Garmin 210 HRM.

So is this a good excuse to buy that new 620 i've been eyeing ?!? (Please say yes!)

I'm also eating way over my calories (you should see the things I don't always log... LOL) and not gaining.
    But like Victoria, my HR is always in the 150-160 even at my easy pace. Maybe this is it. Or maybe it's the Canada thing. haha

Y'all's easy pace heartrates seem high. Mine is around 138-145, but maybe I go slower than you ladies.
  • _Josee_
    I use my Garmin 210 HRM.

Y'all's easy pace heartrates seem high. Mine is around 138-145, but maybe I go slower than you ladies.

Or maybe our max heart rate is higher ;)
    But seriously, I think my HRM is out of wack. I need the 620 LOL