Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Let's talk potassium!

Since going back to a keto style of eating,I have noticed my potassium is super low.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience of supplementing with potassium as most high potassium foods are also high carb.
I have read that avocado should give enough potassium for a day but it doesn't agree with me enough to eat it everyday :(
So,thoughts,suggestions,all appreciated

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Since going back to a keto style of eating,I have noticed my potassium is super low.
    I am wondering if anyone has any experience of supplementing with potassium as most high potassium foods are also high carb.
    I have read that avocado should give enough potassium for a day but it doesn't agree with me enough to eat it everyday :(
    So,thoughts,suggestions,all appreciated

I was mineral deficient before keto and remained so after. I have found no other solution than to support my diet with good quality mineral supplements even while trying to eat the best foods. (Dr. Mercola multi did the trick, and I was taking D3 and K2 but have to find another supplier as Canada is declaring war on vitamins.)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    I am taking d and k as well as magnesium..I am quite sure my potassium is too low from what I have been feeling in my body.
    I will look into supplementing I guess..le sigh..gets to be so bloody expensive..
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Is there a reason why you're going keto? Just a thought but if you're not getting all the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy while you lose weight, wouldn't it be gentler on your system to increase potassium rich foods, increase carbs a bit and stay balanced? Just a reflection. Be kind to your body : )
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Is there a reason why you're going keto? Just a thought but if you're not getting all the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy while you lose weight, wouldn't it be gentler on your system to increase potassium rich foods, increase carbs a bit and stay balanced? Just a reflection. Be kind to your body : )

I have been keto/paleo before and have recently gone back.
    I find it's the only thing that helps with my uncontrollable sugar urges/addiction
    Once they are firmly under control,I will increase my carbs :)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member

I find it's the only thing that helps with my uncontrollable sugar urges/addiction

I can appreciate the thought of meghanner but I am living something similar to justaspoonful. Sugar addiction is real and can be tormenting. Yes I want to lose weight but more than that I want to be free of the metal torment. Keto is the only thing that has not only helped but eliminated this and literally gave me my life back. The longer you're on it, the more stable you become and yes, eventually you can start to increase and play around and see how far you can go before urges and other things kick in.

JUSTASPOONFUL: you say you can FEEL in your body that your potassium is likely low. What does that feel like? My numbers are always low on mfp but I don't know if that correlates into something of immediate concern.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    The actual highest sources of potassium are not what you think. I had a documented deficiency and the highest I found was swiss chard I believe. Low Sodium V-8 is also very high, and depending what you want to ave you can make your own. You can add Nu Salt to any tomato juice and there is your potassium hit. I also mix up an electrolyte cocktail of poatassium (via Nusalt), Sea salt, and Calm Magnesium and take that because I also run low on the others.

Another tip is that almost all vegetables and fruits have potassium so if it says 0 on MFP, look for a similar listing that has it shown. For example, I searched for Spring mix and had a listing with none. Then I found a listing for Dole and it had what I knew to be reasonable for greens. It is not required to be labeled so you may have to search for USDA listings or brands.
  • cindytw
    edited March 2015
    gsp90x wrote: »

I can appreciate the thought of meghanner but I am living something similar to justaspoonful. Sugar addiction is real and can be tormenting. Yes I want to lose weight but more than that I want to be free of the metal torment. Keto is the only thing that has not only helped but eliminated this and literally gave me my life back. The longer you're on it, the more stable you become and yes, eventually you can start to increase and play around and see how far you can go before urges and other things kick in.

JUSTASPOONFUL: you say you can FEEL in your body that your potassium is likely low. What does that feel like? My numbers are always low on mfp but I don't know if that correlates into something of immediate concern.
  • cindytw
    OOPS! When I have low potassium I am very weak, I feel very "body tired" but not sleepy persay, and can't exercise like I want to. My muscles just fail.

That was he rest of that...
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    oh! that's all very helpful. Thank you!
  • Akimajuktuq
    cindytw wrote: »
    OOPS! When I have low potassium I am very weak, I feel very "body tired" but not sleepy persay, and can't exercise like I want to. My muscles just fail.

That was he rest of that...

Interesting. My muscles are failing, I feel weak and exhausted but not sleepy.... I'm not sure if it could be responsible for my dizzy/fainting thing or not... Also, there was some swiss chard one time in the store recently and I took two bunches home and proceeded to hork them down like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately, our local stores fail to stock things high in potassium except foods that I don't eat much of.

So, even though I'm not wanting to play with supplements anymore (I've wasted much money over the years) I will look into getting a potassium supplement and taking some mega doses and see if that helps me. Cuz anything is better than what's happening now.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    i add in lots of leafy greens (including spinach and chard), avocadoes, sardines and sea vegetables (dulse, nori, wakame).

also keep sodium and magnesium up. (i do like the above poster - just make a keto lemonade with lemon water & stevia and add real salt and mag citrate).
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    be careful with potassium supplementation. i have read that super high doses can be very problematic.
  • cindytw
    edited March 2015
    be careful with potassium supplementation. i have read that super high doses can be very problematic.

Yes, it is just if you are showing low on blood work o ae showing signs you need it. Best to track it and see where you are at.
  • Akimajuktuq
    I'm careful with how I supplement... but I'd rather not supplement at all.