LiftAndBalance
LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
d8456413108deac133cf1432e8799ee9.jpg

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I might take a rest day today, or it could be called a pack and get ready for my trip day. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Hamilton, ON and the Border Terrier Canada National Specialty (on June 6) and the Border Terrier Club of Ontario specialty (on June 7). Both of my dogs and I are entered in 6 rally obedience trials over the three day weekend. Fells should be fine and enjoy it. Colin? We'll see. Colin is also entered in some of the conformation. I really don't know which classes or what days. I'll find out when I get there.

When I bought Colin I had just found out the day before that a friend of mine had a litter of 8 week old puppies. I had three dogs that were 11, 10, and 5 years old at the time. The oldest, Gally, had developed early senility and just wasn't "there" any longer all the time. He had also recently become blind. I didn't realize until then, how much the younger two depended on his stability and confidence. They were both very reactive (jumpy) dogs and without Gally being there, they were having trouble relaxing and being calm.

So I went to look at the puppies, just to look. I had gone to the breeders of my first dogs and looked at their puppies, but nothing was clicking. I brought my sister, niece, and nephew with me, both because I thought that they would enjoy it and because I wanted to see the mother and puppies around children. I took a look at this litter and really loved one of the males and one of the females. They both came out of their enclosure with an "I rule the world" attitude. I knew their mother and that she had that temperment, too. Not always an easy one to live with. I really wanted that boy. Not just for me, but also for my girl, Free, the 5 year old. The thing was, another friend of both of us also wanted the boy. He was clearly the pick puppy. The best in the litter. The friend though, Pam, from the Montreal area, while she wanted him, really wasn't in a position of taking him right at that time. So we made up a deal. One that I wouldn't have done if I hadn't know both of them for years. Colin cost 1/3 of what I would have paid for a Border Terrier puppy from anyone else, but Colin is owned by all three of us. He lives with me, but he is Pam's conformation dog. She grooms him for shows and shows him in shows. I bring him there and take him home. This has worked out really well for the past 10 years. Colin is a dual citizen, full registered with the Canadian Kennel Club as well as the American Kennel Club, and also a breed champion in both. He and Free formed a strong and lasting devotion which allowed her to do more than I think she could have alone. I'm very proud of him. On the other hand, he's not always the easiest to work with. He is what he has always been, which means he does what he wants. He is confident and very hard headed! Sometimes that's good. Sometimes not as good. He's looking really nice at the moment though, so hopefuly Pam will be happy with him, even if he decides that he would prefer not doing rally with me while we're up there.

Yesterday I ran to my trainer workout. It was in the 80's F and very humid. The honeysuckles and humidity gave the air a thick syrupy quality which made the run feel slower and like I was slogging through something. When I reached the studio, 1.5 miles later, I was dripping with sweat. It was a new workout. He changes them monthly. My muscles started sore and weary and while they didn't feel more sore by the end, they did feel even more tired. Running home was a bit easier in that it was cooler and there was a bit of a breeze, but it was very hard going and I had to keep reminding myself over and over to pick up the pace and to not stop and walk. It was good to get home!!

Tonight I pack and rest. I plan to get up early tomorrow, get a run in, and then start my drive to Canada.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Great thread starter, Ines!

Interesting story, Donna, about how you came to co-own Colin. Do you ever regret doing it that way? Good luck on the trip, and I hope both Colin & Fells do well!

It's my rest day today. First one in 2 weeks, although I've had a couple of lighter workout days. In a few minutes I'm heading out for a walk with a friend. It's cool down by the lake (warmer up by my house) but the sun is shining so I'm looking forward to some fresh air. I've had a headache the past couple days and hopefully the air will help. Typically Wednesday is a trainer night, but I have a surprise birthday party to go to tonight so Jason fit me in Friday morning so I could take tonight off to go to the party.

Hope everybody else is having a nice Wednesday!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Warm here 80's but windy...I haven't done any exercise yet except run up and down my stairs a be zillion times doing stuff. I purposely put my master bedroom upstairs when we built house. Everyone said I was nuts.

I said when I get too old to do stairs I can sleep in the guest room but until then I really think it keeps me in shape!!!

Will swim later...I am finally having time to do a bunch of thank you notes for people I stayed with on my trip.

And just finished filling out all the employment papers and photo copies for new part time job this Saturday.

Went out on my scooter for first time this season...just knowing I get 100 mpg on it gives me deep satisfaction!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Ines, hope things are still going well with Cassey. Great (and true) threadstarter today!
    jugar, let us know how it went with the new trainer.
    valmaebel, I don't envy your heat. We've been okay so far. We usually get our first heatwave around early June, but so far it's a no-show.
    maureen, thanks for threadstarters. The image thing just takes getting used to. And yes, I did partial lower body & partial upper body--mainly because I noticed holes in the thighs of my shorts and didn't want to do the hip machines (leg spread machines!!! lol!), so I switched to upper body at that point. haha! I also jogged home to change pants before going back to pick up my son.
    donna, what a fascinating way to co-parent a dog! Sounds like it works. But isn't he a little spoiled by all the attention? heehee
    laura, enjoy your rest day and walk.
    marla, have a nice swim (ahh, sounds nice) and hope the new job is a good one.

Today I was just certain it was going to rain (so certain I made my son run to the bus stop so we could get him to the tutor before the deluge). So after I dropped him off, I went to walk at the park, where I could stay nearby. Well.....it never did rain! But, at least it was cool and breezy for my walk (about 1hr15min) [definitely, if I had been certain it wouldN'T rain it would've been great running weather, oh well. there were quite a few runners at the park, but i just get too bored to run there, although i haven't tried it lately]. I've been loving my new fitness tracker and I even used the hrm with my walk today and also for my school pick-up (not b/c I wanted hr info, but I wanted to separate out that activity to learn how many steps it is, and you do that by sync-ing the hrm). I think I was in a fat-burning range while walking today, so that's good. It's been so helpful and very motivating for keeping my diet in check too.

Have a good rest-of-the-day!