80/15/5 too much fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question! I started out doing wonderful on keto! I felt amazing and was consistently losing fat (I could actually see a difference in 4 weeks) lately I haven't felt full, I have been craving sweets, and I actually gained. Today I decided to do strict induction style eating and my fat intake hit 81% after that I felt AMAZING again (like a burst of energy) I looked at my food diary from the beginning of my keto lifestyle (beginning of April) and saw that my fat intake was between 78 and 80 most of those days. So now my question is can I keep my macros at 80/15/5 or is that too much fat?

It's not bad for maintenance, but if you want to lose body fat then you'll have to cut the dietary fat, so that the body can use fat from its own reserves. Of course that then means that the other macros will increase on a percent base ... but that's perfectly fine, as long as you're (temporarily) cutting calories.

Please, no, just no. Just stop talking. Body fat is NOT the same thing as dietary fat and every low carber/keto dieter can tell you your first statement is 100% false. Actually, you dont' even have to be a low carber to know that is false.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options

It's not bad for maintenance, but if you want to lose body fat then you'll have to cut the dietary fat, so that the body can use fat from its own reserves. Of course that then means that the other macros will increase on a percent base ... but that's perfectly fine, as long as you're (temporarily) cutting calories.

Not true.

So you're saying that when I eat a eucaloric LCHF diet, the body will burn its stored reserves rather than the dietary fat? A) how can it distinguish, and b) where does the dietary fat go?

I presume you misunderstood my point.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Check out one of Jimmy Moore's recent podcasts regarding his book Keto Clarity. He is on a podcast "tour" promoting his book. It may give you some guidance. His "sweet spot" is something like 80/15/5 based on how he feels and his use of blood ketone monitoring. His wife, however, has a much lower fat macro to achieve the same result. In short the sweet spot may be very individual dvarying on individual metabolic issues.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Please, no, just no. Just stop talking. Body fat is NOT the same thing as dietary fat and every low carber/keto dieter can tell you your first statement is 100% false. Actually, you dont' even have to be a low carber to know that is false.

Sorry, I simply happen to agree with Westman, Phinney, Volek, Attia, Taubes etc. on this matter.

The point about Low Carb HIGH FAT is that you keep carbs low, protein constant (moderate) and then adjust the fat to meet whatever goal you have. When you're switching from a higher carb diet to a ketogenic diet, you should eat plenty of fat until your body has properly adapted to running primarily on fat (what Sisson calls a "fat burning beast"). However, if after that you want to lose weight, you absolutely can reduce the dietary fat. Do it intermittently, if you like - that's what I'm doing right now, and for the last four weeks I've been losing about 1kg per week.