Gels/salt/electrolyte I'm confused.

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I'm a newbie runner. So far, I've run with just water. Now, I'm dehydrated during even short runs(Texas heat/humidity). This is my first summer as a runner. I don't want the lack of preparedness to kill my endurance. I researched electrolytes and I'm overwhelmed by the stuff out there. I generally do only Gatorade occasionally but now I need the right supplement. What do you folks recommend I try? I'm going to run my first 10k next weekend and then will start training for a half. I want to have this down by the time I run that half in September.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For the 10k you should be fine with the Gatorade that you are used to using after the run. I usually don't use any gels or fuels on runs unless they are 2hrs+

As far as the ones to use when it comes time for your HM you will just have to experiment with what will work for you. I personally don't like a lot of gels, I use gummies. On your long runs pick one to use that day. I use the gummies starting at about mile 2 and taking them every other mile. Gels I will use one at the 90 minute mark. You will have a lot to play with though...gels, gummies, beans, liquids, bars, etc...Just try them all during your long runs. One tip though, make sure you have a bathroom along your long run incase your GI doesn't like the fuel you use.

One thing I will tell you is to not mix Gatorade and fuels. So when you take a fuel drink water for the next few miles or so. Or if you do the gummies then drink water with them and then sip the Gatorade on the odd miles (assuming you pop gummies every even).

As far as salt, I don't pay much attention to it as I get plenty of it in my food, I don't do a lot of lower sodium things because of running and sweating during the summer.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thanks. I did a 6 miler yesterday and got thru it with lots of water all day long and Gatorade before and during the run. Yet today I'm toast. I think I should definitely look into those gels/salt caps.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did a 6 miler yesterday and got thru it with lots of water all day long and Gatorade before and during the run. Yet today I'm toast. I think I should definitely look into those gels/salt caps.

Well...gels and stuff like that is more for during your runs. If you are having issues in regards to exhaustion the following days then that is more refueling, meaning what you are doing after your runs to replenish what was used. In that regards I would look at what you are eating and doing after your runs. Are you resting for a bit after? Are you refueling with quality items (I use chocolate milk a lot, lol)? Are you eating some good quality carbs following your runs?

For example...today I had a 10 mile long run. I had a slice of toast with PB before the run. Then an hour into the run I popped my gel (I used GU salted caramel). Then immediately afterwards I drank a chocolate milk while I stretched outside. Then about 1 hour later I went to breakfast which consisted of 2 eggs and bacon (protein), 2 slices of buttered toast and hashbrowns. Then this evening I am eating pasta to supply more carbs and will be foam rolling for about 20 minutes while I watch TV.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I usually only use Gatorade or Powerade on anything up to a 7 mile run. I start using fuels on anything 8 miles or longer. I tried just using water & fuels on an 11 mile run and got dizzy at the 9th mile, so my trainer recommended electrolyte tablets when I use water instead of Powerade. I bought some by Gu - they're the tablets you dissolve in water, not pills you take, so I dissolve it in my water bottle before heading out for my run. I read in the long distance runners group that if your sweat tastes salty you're more likely to need to take in electrolytes during your run.

I don't have a problem mixing Powerade or Gatorade with fuels. I was doing it before I knew you weren't supposed to. After that I tried using water, and that's when I had the dizzy spell. Fortunately I haven't had stomach issues with any of the fuels I've tried (gels, gummies, sports beans). My stomach is more concerned about what I eat before my run. I did borrow a fuel belt from a friend to test it out - mine only holds one 20 oz bottle but hers has four 6 oz bottles, so I do half water (with the Gu tablet) and half Powerade. Then I do drink water when I use my fuels and the Powerade when I'm not consuming anything.

Like Becky said a glass of chocolate milk is excellent afterward - it's got the right combination of carbohydrates, protein & sugars. I also have the 100 calorie light Muscle Milk cartons that I can bring with me if I'm driving somewhere to do my run so I can drink it in the car afterward. If you're wiped out the next day you're probably not getting in the calories you need after your run.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you're wiped out the next day you're probably not getting in the calories you need after your run.

And possibly running with too much effort. As the heat increases you need to slow way down until you get acclimated.

I only use gels for races now but last year I was using them as my runs got longer. Eventually I was able to go further and further without any fuel, and very little to drink. After the run I have some protein powder mixed with soy milk and a banana and I'm good to go (then a good meal later). You have to teach your body not to rely on gels for training runs. It's a long process but worth it. But certainly experiment with different fuels in training if you haven't yet found what works for you.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thanks for pointing out the calorie consumption. I generally have been exceeding the calorie goals I set here on MFP but I've been very lenient with the quality of what goes in, ever since I got to this weight. Im at my comfortable weight and hence figured I can maintain with whatever. Guess I'm wrong. I'm a vegetarian so I struggle with protein. I'm going to add eggs to my diet(I hate eggs not that I can't eat it). I do a lot of cheeses, nut butters and nuts, milk, yogurt, beans, lentils etc. you know it's next to impossible to find a plant protein that is complete. I get a good amount of carbs - generally brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat Indian breads etc.
    lately I've been lazy to cook. Still recovering from an attack of vertigo two weeks ago but I'm going to fix this. I don't want my poor eating habits to sabotage all my hard work.

I will also try the various fuels as supplements for my long runs. I did slow down. I used to run @9.3 mins/mile until I completed c25k. Now it's more like 11.30.

I hate chocolate milk, btw:(. I eat a banana right after I run. I also get a meal in an hour or two after. Anything else that I can do?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use supplements then it's worth sticking with one system, and seeing how it works out.

Personally I use the Science in Sport range, but in general you'll find that they have:

A pre-training drink that's essentially easily accessible carbs - I don't tend to use these unless I'm feeling particularly low on energy before training. As my mid week runs are in the evenings it has a place
    An elecrolyte drink for use when training - either powder or tablet
    A post training recovery drink, mix of proteins and carbs. SIS do both a soya variant and whey variant
    Gels/ bars/ beans etc - A quick release of accessible carbs

I find that if I'm hungry I perform worse, and end up more reliant on supplements, although that may be psychological rather than physiological.

For runs of more than an hour I'll carry a fuel belt with two 500ml bottles, one of water and one of electrolyte. I'll generally finish the latter and make inroads on the former.

For 12Km and upwards I'll generally take a gel at around the half way point, if I'm doing 18Km then I may plan on two gels.

After more than 10K I'll always have a recovery drink. I find the strawberry more easily available here, but they're all only just drinkable.

All that said, the main thing is eating properly, and hydrating sufficiently.