June Fitness Challenge

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
We had a wonderful May challenge and if your anything like me you found some motivation in it to stay and keep active, even if it was the nagging feeling you should really get up and do something.

Theirs no reason to rest on our laurels so lets start a June challenge. Like the May challenge the winner will be chosen randomly from anyone who completes the challenge and we will think of a prize (who doesn't like prizes).

This month's Fitness Challenge is about pushing yourself a little further. The first part of this challenge is about pushing yourself but also remembering to rest and recover. In order so that more people may participate and to make sure that we listen and respond to our bodies, the June challenge will involve exercising 3-4 days a week with a couple of off days to recover. You can do more then this and have fewer rest days, thats up to you, but for 3-4 of those days we want to be pushing ourselves. The second part is the real challenge, pushing yourself. For those 3-4 days your working out I want you to push yourself a little further each time. This might mean pushing your activity a little loner time wise, add 10-15 min to your last workout. Go a little further, add distance to your last walk. Move a little faster, increase your pace. Go a little higher, add an incline to your walk/run. Try a new activity, try jogging if walking, if you do home horse try adding a short walk. Everyone is at a different level, so I leave what you consider challenging yourself up to you.

Food and old habits might be our most biggest challenge but lets make our fitness a challenge as well.

Post each days workout and what you did out of 3-4 of those workouts to challenge yourself. Also note your rest days. At the end of the month we will tally up what we have achieved.

LETS GET MOVING!

Replies

• tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Didn't see this when I did today's workout and glad to see we are thinking in the same direction Pat. I was thinking I need to push a little when it comes to my activity, not just in length, but in how hard I work.

My DVD for low impact aerobic walking says after aerobic activity is the best time for yoga and stretching. So today for the first time I listened. I did the 30 min dvd, I pushed myself to try the lunges where before I skipped those. Then straight after I went into my Yoga 30 mins. Not gonna lie I was tired after, my arms were shaking and the last 2 sun salutations I didn't think I was gonna make it, but I did. Plus I promised Dean we were going to take him out on his bike today so some jogging/fast walking there later. Will add that in as an edit but to get the ball rolling here is today's.

June 1st - low impact aerobics 30 mins followed by yoga 30 mins.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I'm in this month. Going to do more swimming and see if I can get back to the gym.: -)
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Today I didn't walk as much as I did yesterday. We didn't get around to walking as soon as we wanted to, and it was dark, and we didn't feel like walking all over the neighborhood at night. Still, we did almost a mile, and I even jogged some of it, so I'm counting that as progress!

June 1: 0.97 mile walk/jog - 15 minutes
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Always up for a challenge......just ask Pat. We have a very friendly competition going on over at Fitbit, hehehe. Today I went for a walk with Cody (my son) and Daisy (our shepherd). We walked a longer route than our usual and walked a little closer to Daisy's pace than mine. Felt good when we got home. Tired but good.

June 1 - walked 2.25 miles in 60 mins.(probably would have been a faster time without Cody, lol)
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    June 1st - 5,320 Steps - 2.60 Miles (none challenge day)
  • tishtash77
    Options
    June 1st - low impact aerobics 30 mins followed by yoga 30 mins. 20 mins of brisk walking/trotting alongside son on his bike. (Challenged)
    June 2nd - 30 mins yoga, 25 mins casual walking, 20 mins of brisk walking/trotting alongside son on his bike. (no challenge)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    June 2: 45 minutes. Aqua Tai chi

YAY me!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    June 1 - walked 2.25 miles in 60 mins.(probably would have been a faster time without Cody, lol)
    June 2 - walked the 1.25 miles to the Y (mostly uphill), worked out with the weights for 30 minutes, and then walked the mile to Westport, which is where I was meeting up with a friend to go to our Monday night Gastric Bypass Support Group meeting; was very happy to have my behind back in the Y
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    June 1st - 5,320 Steps - 2.60 Miles (none challenge day)

June 2nd - 6,190 Steps - 3.03 Miles - (2.17 @ 16:57Min/Mile)(Increased pace)
    I did this walk before on 4/20/14 and had a pace of 19:44Min/Mile
  • PatrickB_87
    Options

YAY me!

Is their nothing you can't do in the water Karen? Whats next, underwater basket weaving?
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories underwater basketweaving would use up? :)
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    [/quote]

June 2nd - 6,190 Steps - 3.03 Miles - (2.17 @ 16:57Min/Mile)(Increased pace)
    I did this walk before on 4/20/14 and had a pace of 19:44Min/Mile
    [/quote]

Awesome increase in pace Pat!!! (Not quite sure why it's not showing the above as a quote, but it is a quote from Pat's post)
  • KarenZen
    Options

YAY me!

Is their nothing you can't do in the water Karen? Whats next, underwater basket weaving?

I tried aqua yoga but nearly drowned during downward facing dog.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Today's fitness activity has to involve some housecleaning. My house is a MESS. I don't see anything exciting on the Y schedule today, so I'll just do aquasize and laps later. I am going to set a goal for myself to sign up for a session with a trainer to go through the weight training equipment. I really need to start strength training this summer! I love to do it, but I'm not sure at my size and weight whether the equipment can handle me, plus the crutches make things awkward. But... that's the trainer's job to figure out, right?
  • PatrickB_87
    Options

YAY me!

I tried aqua yoga but nearly drowned during downward facing dog.

Ohhhh... You can try Stand Up Paddle Board Yoga, its a thing...
  • tishtash77
    Options
    June 1st - low impact aerobics 30 mins followed by yoga 30 mins. 20 mins of brisk walking/trotting alongside son on his bike. (Challenged)
    June 2nd - 30 mins yoga, 25 mins casual walking, 20 mins of brisk walking/trotting alongside son on his bike. (no challenge)
    June 3rd - 30 mins walking, some stretching, giving my left butt cheek a break def no challenge
  • KarenZen
    Options
    June 3: 60 minutes laps
    YAY me!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    So far all my exercise has been just cleaning. My house looks great but I am quite bummed, especially about today. I took today off just for me and ended up non stop organizing cupboards, grocery shopping and errands. Didn't even make it to the pool. I was almost in tears when I realized how late it was and in was still at the grocery store. I've got to get this going.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    So far all my exercise has been just cleaning. My house looks great but I am quite bummed, especially about today. I took today off just for me and ended up non stop organizing cupboards, grocery shopping and errands. Didn't even make it to the pool. I was almost in tears when I realized how late it was and in was still at the grocery store. I've got to get this going.

Thats why the challenge is only 3-4 days a week, people have lives and sometimes it just wont fit in. Or like me your feeling lazy and all your good intentions to do a long yoga session disappear.