Memorial Day Low Carb Weight Loss Challenge: Results

Options
Citrislazer
Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
Here are some results from this challenge.

There were 26 participants who signed up. 17 of those participants checked in at least once, while 12 of those were active participants checking-in regularly, and only 6 participants checked in for the finals.

Of the 17 participants who checked in at least once, there was a combined loss of 62.79%, or an average of 3.69% per a participant. Of the final 6 participant check-ins, there was a combined loss of 42.66%, which was a total of 82.07lbs! That’s half a person!

Amazing work everyone! Even though the challenge has ended, don’t stop achieving your goals!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a high drop-out rate (65%-77% depending on how you look at it).
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is a high drop out rate. I think it shows losing weight is hard work, but if you put in the extra effort to eat right for your body, be active, and stick with it, you'll get results. The final 6, who stuck with it for 12 weeks, lost a healthy amount of weight; averaging 13.68lbs each. I hope this helps motivate people to do the work needed to be healthier and better themselves, so they get results too.

I lost my 19lbs during these 12 weeks mostly from just eating right for my body. I kept my carbs under 50g daily, typically 30g. I ate 30%-35% protein most days. I ate mostly whole foods, staying away from "low carb" processed foods as much as possible. I made sure to eat a handful of berries, a handful of almonds (favorite), and as much leafy green and super veggies as I could daily. My grocery carts were picture worthy and well planned before even setting foot in the store. And there were so many dishes to clean up daily from all the cooking and preparing! But it was sooooo worth it!!!

I had started out my 12 weeks exercising 6 days a week with cardio and weight training. But, a couple weeks in I injured my back and then had a nasty cold for a bit. Life got busy again. I just never got back into my exercise routine. I wasn't really too motivated either, as I was doing so well losing weight through eating right. I decided to just go with it, as I've never lost weight in the past from diet alone - until low carb.

I probably would have lost another 2-3lbs had I not gone on vacation for a week. My food options available to me on vacation were limited and mostly unhealthy. Gained 5lbs in a week, but lost it all in 1.5 weeks.

Frob, I'm interested in hearing how you lost your weight during these 12 weeks, if you don't mind sharing your success plan with everyone. :-)

Or, if anyone else wants to share their 12 week experience for the good of the community, please chime in.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    The drop rate in this competition is pretty good even though it seems high. I joined few of these challenges in the main MFP forums, the drop rate was close to 90% on most of those challenges.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Frob, I'm interested in hearing how you lost your weight during these 12 weeks, if you don't mind sharing your success plan with everyone. :-)

Just consistency. I kept the carbs low, my calories around my goal, and had very few off days (1 time... because I got drunk and ate way too much).

I track every day (weight and food). I find that helps me. It also helps me set a realistic calorie goal based on my average TDEE. I then try and eat 250-500 calories below the number I calculate. It provides less than stellar, but consistent, results.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Awesome work to those that participated!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a final check in because I lost all my motivation pretty much through the whole month of May.

I ended up gaining about 8 pounds and am remotivated to get it off and keep it off.

The last two days I have averaged 60 g of net carbs, and 20 g of sugar. I'm already down 3.6, and while I know that is mostly water weight, I'll take it.

I've started a new accountability group that we'll focus on accountabilty and will include weekly weigh ins. Not so much for competition, but to keep us all on track.

If you are interested, please message me. Thanks! Lisa
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have to say I really enjoyed the challenge and looked forward to it every week, well done to all who took part!!!!