Paleo Half Marathon Training

Options
SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
Forgive me if this has already been covered here, but I will be training for my very first half this year. I've never done this before, so I have nothing to compare it to (as far as fueling goes). So, if any of you have trained for and ran a half marathon without all that Gu and sugary crap, I'd love to get your advice! I sort of feel like, since I eat a higher fat, lower carb diet already, that I should be able to run for 2+ hours without needing to fuel (providing I eat a good meal before hand). I might take some coconut water along... Thoughts?

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this with interest. I have ran 2 half marathons but wasn't paleo so fueled on porridge and pasta and used energy gels throughout the race. Since going paleo my runs have really suffered I would like to get back to a decent standard again. Good luck.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Logically, I would think that if I am eating a high fat diet and not eating every few hours in my daily life leading up to the race, I should be able to get through the race without "carb loading". I guess training will be a lot of trial & error.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I listen to the Vinnie Tortorich podcast and he's an ultra-cyclist. I hear lots of talk about fueling with fats like cream cheese and almond butter. Since Vinnie does not eat sugar, he uses sugar as an energy drip - basically when he hits "the wall" he'll pop a piece of hard candy in his mouth and let it dissolve... that's it, just one piece of candy does the trick. Also mashed sweet potatoes can be used (I think I've heard of that in other paleo podcasts).
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I listen to the Vinnie Tortorich podcast and he's an ultra-cyclist. I hear lots of talk about fueling with fats like cream cheese and almond butter. Since Vinnie does not eat sugar, he uses sugar as an energy drip - basically when he hits "the wall" he'll pop a piece of hard candy in his mouth and let it dissolve... that's it, just one piece of candy does the trick. Also mashed sweet potatoes can be used (I think I've heard of that in other paleo podcasts).

This is the sort of advice I have been getting from other athletes as well. Thank you! My other question would be what to eat before the race (the morning of, the night before)???