30 Day Arm Challenge starts 1 June

Options
SkimFlatWhite68
SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
Ok, so I am 2 days late starting the June challenge - oops! Been a bit busy.

The May Abs challenge almost killed me. Not sure if anyone else finished it but the last week I could only do it every 3 days due to the difficulty of it. I think I'll try it again in July.. maybe?

Anyway, the challenge for this month is ARMS and it's super easy, so would be good for beginners and anyone intermediate or advanced can always push up the numbers to suit yourself.

The link to the challenge is here: http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-arm-challenge/ I really do recommend downloading the app to your phone and setting up a reminder so that you don't forget or have any excuse NOT to do it.

Here is what the challenge involves:

3 exercises - Tricep Dips - Mountain Climbers - Push Ups

Day 1 starts with 6 Tricep Dips - 8 Mountain Climbers - 4 Push Ups

and day 30 ends with 12 Tricep Dips - 25 Mountain Climbers - 12 Push Ups (see what I mean, not too hard at all)

Here is what it says on the website:

"Take up this 30 day arm challenge this month and tone up and boost your arm muscle tone and strength to the max.

The challenge has 4 different exercises which you have to do each day, and the time spent doing the exercise slowly increases day by day to help you build up your arm muscle strength gradually, ensuring you are able to complete the final day of the challenge easily.

You only have to do the amount of time shown on the challenge chart once per day, however if you are feeling brave then you can repeat each days challenge as many times as you like – however remember by day 30 it will be very hard to do multiple times."

Please join in and post your updates. I'll be starting today and will do Days 1-3 during my gym workout at lunch today.

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    30-day-arm-challenge-chart_zps4743d51d.jpg
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good luck Skim! I'd do it but I hate mountain climbers.....nearly as much as burpees!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I know. Me too, I hate Burpees, I've never done more than 8 in a row.

Today I did days 1, 2 and 3, as I started late. On my third set of mountain climbers my abs were hurting, still sore from the May Abs challenge.
  • Danispen
    Danispen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am going to start tomorrow - my arms need all the help they can get!! Thanks Skim
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day 5 Rest day :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm clicking on the "how to" links and getting a blank page :( What's a mountain climber?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Mountain climbers are like doing a plank, and then bringing alternate knees up to meet your elbows.. That's the best and easiest way I can describe it.

Following is the description from the website. There is also a video clip.

HOW TO DO A MOUNTAIN CLIMBER EXERCISE
    Mountain climber is one of the plyometric exercises which strengthen multiple muscle groups in addition to the cardiovascular system. To this exercise, you must activate the core abdominal muscles in addition to those in both the lower and upper body. How to do mountain climbers exercise properly for optimum results?

STEP BY STEP GUIDE

Start the exercise by lying face down on the floor.

Straighten out your arms and then touch your knees down to the ground or floor.

Now you are ready to lift yourself up into position. When doing this, be sure that your hands are directly under your chest at a width that is slightly more than your shoulder length distance.

Once you have settled into position and checked the position of your hands you should be sure to keep your legs stretched out, ensuring that they are properly lined up with the rest of your body. Pay special attention to your knees as many people tend to create a gap here but that should be avoided. If the recommended position is uncomfortable for you, it is alright to modify it slightly as long as you maintain the correct posture.

Now you should stretch out your left leg for stability. Bend your right knee and bring it up in the direction of your right hand. At this point, you should be in a similar position to the one you would be in if you were climbing a mountain or tree (hence the name) except horizontal instead of vertical.

After bringing your right knee up, return it to the original position and do the previous step with your left leg. (Once again, bend the left knee and bring it up towards the left hand mimicking the actions of a mountain climber)

After you have done various repetitions, if you would like a challenge try placing your hands on a slightly raised platform or a step as this will make the mountain climber a bit more difficult.

When doing this exercise, you should do at least three sets with between 12 and 15 repetitions per set.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I'm still doing this challenge, but it's pretty easy really. I've been doing 3 sets mixed in with my normal workout.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Well due to being hit by a very bad bout of the flu on Sunday I haven't done ANY exercise all week, but I'll do it all on the weekend, wont be that hard to catch up.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    2 more days left in the Arm challenge, I did a big weights day yesterday so having today off but will finish my Arms off tomorrow. This challenge has been pretty easy, not sure if anyone else finished it but I've been doing them in sets of 3. Fallen in love with the mountain climbers too, they are really good.

I think we needed an easy challenge after the May abs killer challenge!!

The One Million Step Challenge started last weekend (10,000 steps a day for 100 days). It's not too late for anyone to join that but I don't think we will have another challenge in July at this stage, just keep with the Step Challenge and then Max/Maxines will be starting on 28 July.