Recovery Time

I know that with each surgery and individual things are different, but wanted to see what the recovery times were that you all experienced? How long were you out of work?

Replies

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    I was able to take 4 weeks off due to short term disability. Physically, I could have gone back after a week with pretty minor discomfort. I don't have a very physical job though. The best thing about the time off was having the time to really adjust to my new diet and way of eating. It would have been a lot harder to go right back to my work environment while trying to time all the eating, drinking, and vitamins. My surgical team told me to take as much as I could for that reason, and they were certainly right. Although many people do go right back and they make it work. I guess for me I needed more mental recovery time than physical. :)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    If your job is not strenuous (no heavy lifting, etc) most of us are back at work in 2 weeks. I was exhausted the first few months, but made it through my work day just fine. I did go home and take naps for a while : )
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    I took two weeks. I'm in the middle of that right now. I think that after another day, I'm going to wish I went back sooner!!! I'm doing fun things and feel a little guilty for taking "sick time"... LOL
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    2 weeks, could have gone in 1 but I lifted something heavy and needed on of my "holes" to be reglued.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    I work in IT, and rarely need to lift heavy items. I went back to work 2 weeks after my RNY. Honestly, I probably could have gone back a bit earlier.

Just remember to take it easy. I do remember being wiped out after that first day. I wasn't used to going 8-10 hours without taking a nap!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    I had RNY and so did my husband. He had surgery on a Friday, came home Sunday morning and returned to work one week later (works an office job). I am a Stay at home mom. My kids were 3 & 5 when I had surgery. I had surgery on Friday, came home on Sunday and my husband went back to work on Wednesday and I had the kids on my own. I didn't take a pain killer after I was released from the hospital and neither did my husband.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    My surgeon won't even write anyone out on disability for more than 3 weeks post op.
  • meyou4042
    meyou4042 Posts: 40
    Thank you all for your input! According to the Information Seminar I went to today, the doctor recommends 2-6 weeks recovery time. I was told that they would write the note for 6 weeks, but would release me when I felt ok to go back to work. I do not have a physically demanding job, and do have the opportunity to work from home as well. I am hoping to just use two weeks vacation or sick time and be able to go back after two weeks.

I am concerned about being tired - I am already tired as it is from the fibro! I hope being able to stay home for a week and just sleep will help me recover faster. My husband will take a week off of work with me, so that he can take care of me and make sure I eat and drink as I should.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    It may sound counter intuitive, but movement is actually better than sitting around and sleeping all day. Yes, of course rest up, but walking a few times a day is good for you, even the day after surgery!

Initially its to help get rid of the gas they use to help inflate your abdomen during surgery. It can be very painful at times and walking will help you pass it. After that movement helps with the healing process. I felt quite ready to go back to work after the first 1.5 weeks. My surgeon recommended 2 weeks for RNY, 3 weeks for VSG.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    I work part-time as a professor. I am planning on surgery on a Tuesday, canceling my Wednesday class, and teach again the following Monday. But I only teach for 2 hours and I can sit the whole time. I have someone who can take me if I'm not up to driving. My surgeon thinks I'll be fine with that schedule.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I had VSG in October. I took two weeks off. I wasn't in pain and I ended up being bored to tears, so after a few days I was having my boss email a little work to me to keep me occupied. I thought I felt ok enough to go back after a week, but I am glad I took two weeks off because of the fatigue. Not only was it important to walk, drink, and get the protein in, but it was also super important to get enough rest and take care of myself too!
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    I took almost 3 weeks off (my surgery was on a Wednesday) and the time just flew by. I probably could have gone back after 2 weeks but was glad to have the last week to have time to walk and drink and manage my protein intake and vitamins and meds, etc. I don't know when I would've found time to work and remember to do all of that! LOL. I needed that week to practice so I could go back to work. And I was so, SO tired during the first 1-2 weeks that there is no way I could've gone to work, even though it's a desk job.
  • mpweathe
    mpweathe Posts: 12 Member
    I had VSG surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday, I have an office job and did not have any problems.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    4 weeks for me, was in alot of pain vast majority of the time from the largest port hole

once that had properly sealed itself pain went

i was unlucky that due to my belly shape the big cut was in a dint on a roll and the staples had been dragging on it, stupid thing kept opening