Bullet proof coffee anyone?

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Drinking some for breakfast, so I can save my protein for lunch and dinner.

Replies

• I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    eh....don't like coffee. But, I do like the Bulletproof tea and broth and cocoa...so may join in on one of those later :)
  • kamaperry
    Options
    eh....don't like coffee. But, I do like the Bulletproof tea and broth and cocoa...so may join in on one of those later :)
    Haven't tried it in broth or cocoa yet! Yum!
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My morning variation is BPC with added chocolate protein powder and flax meal. That will fill you up until late afternoon for sure! :)
  • I_love_frogs
    Options

TBH, the broth is really really good. Its a favorite of mine. I love the taste of my coconut oil in it., but the broth needs to be a salty one for me.... a nice strong chicken taste to it.

I know a lot of people don't care for the oil to have a taste, but I love it... haven't found anything where the coconut taste makes me go, ack...too much!!

I also throw some of my gelatin in the green container (Great Lakes) in as well, and a cube or two of my homemade bone broth to give it that extra oomph too.
  • kamaperry
    Options

TBH, the broth is really really good. Its a favorite of mine. I love the taste of my coconut oil in it., but the broth needs to be a salty one for me.... a nice strong chicken taste to it.

I know a lot of people don't care for the oil to have a taste, but I love it... haven't found anything where the coconut taste makes me go, ack...too much!!

I also throw some of my gelatin in the green container (Great Lakes) in as well, and a cube or two of my homemade bone broth to give it that extra oomph too.
    Love coconut oil!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    BP coffee EVERY SINGLE DAY. Occasionally, I throw in some gelatin too. Froth up with hand blender. NOM NOM NOM.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    How do you do BP cocoa?
  • I_love_frogs
    Options
    Make my cocoa... add cream, add coconut oil, add my gelatin (its tasteless and dissolves with no gelling), and add sweetener. Sometimes I will add unsalted butter to it as well.
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    Haven't thought about adding my gelatin to it. I also have the green container;) will definitely start adding my gelatin tomorrow.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just having some now before leaving for a long night shift! It gives me a great energy boost and suppresses my appetite for hours which is great when you can't always get a meal break.
    I throw coconut oil, butter and an egg yolk or two into the blender with it and it froths up beautifully!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Just having some now before leaving for a long night shift! It gives me a great energy boost and suppresses my appetite for hours which is great when you can't always get a meal break.
    I throw coconut oil, butter and an egg yolk or two into the blender with it and it froths up beautifully!
    Never thought of an egg yolk, thanks!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Awesome ideas!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also throw some of my gelatin in the green container (Great Lakes) in as well

Curious...what's the purpose of adding the gelatin? More filling? Or is there a specific nutritional benefit?
  • I_love_frogs
    Options

Curious...what's the purpose of adding the gelatin? More filling? Or is there a specific nutritional benefit?

Well, a) there is a theory on Reddit that it helps in weight loss, and b) my knees are pretty terrible. This helps my knees and other joints a lot...its no where near as bad to bend my knees now. And, its a tasteless, clear thing so I don't have to add more pills to my routine and it doesn't interfere with my other medications. I love gelatin a lot...for medicine, if its not a pill, doesn't taste horrible, is clear and not gelled/nasty, and I can hide it in my water/ cocoa/ broth etc...its awesome:)

I hate pills.... ugh do I hate pills :( Since i have been taking it (about a month now, ) my ibuprofen use has gone down drastically. So I can say that is a good testimonial lol

The weight loss (theoretical) that I mentioned, I have not say personally that I can say YES it's from the gelatin. However, its good for me and helps me, so even if that part is just a Reddit Runaround, its served me well in making my knees not hurt like they have in the past due to injuries and genetics.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kamaperry
    Options

Well, a) there is a theory on Reddit that it helps in weight loss, and b) my knees are pretty terrible. This helps my knees and other joints a lot...its no where near as bad to bend my knees now. And, its a tasteless, clear thing so I don't have to add more pills to my routine and it doesn't interfere with my other medications. I love gelatin a lot...for medicine, I try to rely on things that are more natural than chemical when I can, and this is a nice way to take it. Since i have been taking it (about a month now, ) my ibuprofen use has gone down drastically. So I can say that is a good testimonial lol

The weight loss (theoretical) that I mentioned, I have not seen personally that I can say YES it's from the gelatin. However, its good for me and helps me, so even if that part is just a Reddit Runaround, its served me well in making my knees not hurt like they have in the past due to injuries and genetics.
    Awesome! I have arthritis in my knees, so I will try it! Thanks!
  • tru2one
    Options
    Well, a) there is a theory on Reddit that it helps in weight loss, and b) my knees are pretty terrible.

***plotting my lunch time gelatin purchase***

Thanks for the info! It sounds like a very beneficial addition. Supposed to be good for hair and nails, too! I was a bulletproof coffee drinker for awhile, but just lost my affinity for coffee for some reason, preferring tea now in the morning. But the broth, butter, oil, gelatin mix sounds like the best thing ever for an afternoon treat at work.

How much gelatin do you use per cup?
  • tru2one
    Options
    More interesting gelatin info (Amazon reviews are full of them):

"Several years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and was beginning to think I had leaky gut syndrome or some malabsorption problem. The gastro doc's only suggestion was Citrucel (which didn't help much). However after reading an article entitled: "Could This Natural Remedy Work even Better than Prescription Medications?" I decided to try gelatin and coconut oil, which is also good for the gut. I soften about 1 T. gelatin in a few tablespoons of cool water--it's called "letting it bloom" for a few minutes. Then add it to any hot liquid--coffee, tea, lemon juice and hot water, soup, etc. along with a teaspoon or two of refined coconut oil which has no flavor at all. I do this once or twice a day--and it has helped tremendously. A quote from the article: "Gelatin is reported to seal and heal any damage it finds by lining the gastrointestinal tract and nourishing the rapidly growing mucous membranes. Numerous sources claim that ingesting gelatin also helps to prevent wrinkles, improve joint function and maintain beautiful hair." The book, Nourishing Traditions suggests adding gelatin to canned broths to increase nutrition similar to that of homemade broths."
  • I_love_frogs
    Options
    Well, a) there is a theory on Reddit that it helps in weight loss, and b) my knees are pretty terrible.

***plotting my lunch time gelatin purchase***

Thanks for the info! It sounds like a very beneficial addition. Supposed to be good for hair and nails, too! I was a bulletproof coffee drinker for awhile, but just lost my affinity for coffee for some reason, preferring tea now in the morning. But the broth, butter, oil, gelatin mix sounds like the best thing ever for an afternoon treat at work.

How much gelatin do you use per cup?

I buy mine from Amazon, or from Great Lakes company.

http://smile.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B00EV2E86A/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1402077814&sr=1-1

I use the green container, and use 1 very rounded TBSP 2x a day. So, one in am and one in PM. It doesn't react with my thyroid meds (according to my doctor), so I take in the am to wash it down with a little mio in the water. In the afternoon or evening, I have it in broth, in my water etc etc etc. The green I think is the best because it is really mixable in the liquids. Only caveat I have is if you use ice in your drink, to mix the gelatin with the liquid first, and then add ice after it is completely dissolved. It gets funky if it hits the ice lol This gelatin will NOT gel tho like jello (unless you put it in your glass and then hit it with ice then water....ugh don't ask me how I know :( ), so it won't help there...it is designed to not gel so it can be drunk easily.

It dissolves well in hot or cold liquid. It gets REALLY cloudy at first, but if you give it a minute or two it is clear. Some people say it smells but I have not noticed it. I don't drink it plain though, so ymmv. I always have in something like broth, or water with mio, or cocoa etc so I don't taste any "hoofiness" lol if there is even any. I don't smell anything with the plain powder either so, who knows. I may just not be as sensitive.

Now if you are seeking a gelatin that will gel like jello, get the red can. That one will gel and you can make jello treats etc out of it. If you are looking just to throw it in your drink and not notice it? Get the green. Overall I prefer the green so I can just drink it and not worry about having my drink turn into a jello mess.

Oh, and I take it with coconut oil too in my hot drinks... no difference in flavor or in texture so its al good :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of chai with 2 tbsp of whipping cream, a splash of sugar-free caramel syrup and a bit of Splenda! It's super delicious!