Pregnancy Cravings

Options
mommyrunning
mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
What kind of cravings did everyone have when they were pregnant? With my first daughter I would want to eat the same thing for like a week straight such as a certain taco or sandwich. With my second daughter I craved apples and twizzlers. I would eat 2 pkgs of twizzlers and 6-10 apples a day! With this baby I am starting to crave chocolate which before I rarely ate.

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    With my daughter (and with this baby too) my cravings changed a lot.
    The weird thing to me is how different my cravings are between the two kids.
    One of the biggest things I craved with my daughter was anything tomato. Spaghetti, tomato sandwiches, tomato soup, plain tomatoes and even ketchup! With this baby, I cannot eat anything tomato at all! First, nothing tomato even sounds good and if I eat it anyways, I get massive heartburn and feel sick.
    I craved cottage cheese a lot with my daughter too. I loved tortilla strips and cottage cheese with black pepper and could eat it all day. I haven't craved that at all with this pregnancy and have eaten it a couple times anyways and it really wasn't that great.
    My problem this past couple months has been that I want everything I see or hear about. I will be standing somewhere having a casual conversation and someone will walk past me with popcorn and suddenly, just then, I really want popcorn. I will be watching a movie and commercial will come on for some vegetarian lasagna that I have never even seen before, let alone tried but I can't help but think that it just looks so good and I want to try it. Someone posts on MFP saying they had ice cream with dinner and I all of a sudden have to have ice cream!
    Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night hungry. I didn't want anything specific just hungry. I got up to go see what looked good in the kitchen and opened the fridge and saw pickles - so I ate a couple pickles. Then, I peeked in the freezer and found a Klondike bar and ate that. I went back to bed laughing at myself for eating pickles and ice cream at 2:00 in the morning, :p
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    tiggerhammon that's funny. My other craving with my first two was sonic ice. I would buy bags of it and chew on it all day.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Pellegrino water, diet coke, turkey sandwiches, apples. I was "the most boring pregnant person EVER" according to those who love me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    With all three of mine I craved sweet stuff right at the end, although that was probably due to tiredness. I was very overdue with all of them.

With my girls I was really nauseous up to 14 weeks and craved toast, and tomato soup. With my third I craved fruit salad in the first trimester. With my son (my first) I had no cravings until the end. When I went overdue I had a mad cake baking urge! I'd bake a cake, eat some mixture, feel sick, then make my husband take the cake to work.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Toast and tomato soup sounds fantastic right now!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really craved once I had it was the McDonald's ranch chicken wrap (fried, not grilled).

What was more interesting to me was the things that I love that I suddenly couldn't stand - and only with my second pregnancy, not my first. Namely, I couldn't handle carbonated water or coffee! I drank coffee during my whole first pregnancy but not at all for my second. Same with carbonated water. As soon as I delivered, I was back to normal. I gave birth at 4:09AM and had coffee with breakfast later that morning!

Both times I couldn't stand most chicken (with the exception of the above-mentioned McDonald's wrap).
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Both pregnancies I really craved/still crave fruit, especially citrus, and pickles during the first tri of each. I think the pickles are a salty/tangy thing.

At the end of my first pregnancy (literally the end - 39 weeks) I craved Sharp Cheddar or White Cheddar Kraft Dinner and had it for lunch every day for about a week. Oh, and I ate a lot of PBJ sandwiches with my first.

This one I had morning sickness/all day nausea until about 15 weeks and I craved carbs, specifically toasted whole wheat bagels with plain cream cheese, or crackers with tzatziki. I've also been on a popcorn kick (Skinny Pop, not the microwave stuff) since quite early in this pregnancy. Lately I've been getting back into home made smoothies, especially the green smoothie my 19 month old is in love with. :laugh:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I craved tomato for a while, but then I had a major aversion to it and my poor husband didn't get his favourite meals (spaghetti and chilli) for several months.
    Then I craved Coca-Cola.
    And more recently I find myself very interested in lemon water... but I think I'm just thirsty and actually want some water. :tongue:
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cravings ave been kind of boring but I majorly crave fruit and in my first trimester all i could stomach during morning sickness was frozen mango chunks. But so far no weird cravings or craving anything unhealthy which I guess is good, just more of Food aversions and "Nothing sounds Good!"
    I am about 16 weeks already so not sure if cravings will happen.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Cravings ave been kind of boring but I majorly crave fruit and in my first trimester all i could stomach during morning sickness was frozen mango chunks. But so far no weird cravings or craving anything unhealthy which I guess is good, just more of Food aversions and "Nothing sounds Good!"
    I am about 16 weeks already so not sure if cravings will happen.

I had that too, mostly aversions until about week 30. (I didn't even want chocolate!)

But when I look at how many nights I was like, "Hey! Let's get fast food!" (because I'd get the pop/soda) and all the bowls of tomato soup I devoured at my husband's grandma's house I'm beginning to realize that I probably had some cravings but I just hadn't identified them at the time.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I"ve had different cravings each time. My first pregnancy, it was almonds, cheddar cheese and grapes or else marinated garlic/peppadew hot peppers/fresh mozzarella balls.

With my second, I acquired a taste for saurkraut and pickled beets! lol

With my current pregnancy, I'm obsessed with cucumbers! I make a salad every day of cucumber/onion/cheese with italian dressing/balsamic vinegar. A lot of the time I add tomatoes and avocados. Its SOOOO good!!!
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cheddar cheese, ice cream, grilled chicken. Oh and chocolate for a little while. Those are the main ones. My first pregnancy I craved cheeseburgers and gained way too much. Glad my cravings this time lean towards the more healthy side lol
  • mommyrunning
    Options

With my current pregnancy, I'm obsessed with cucumbers! I make a salad every day of cucumber/onion/cheese with italian dressing/balsamic vinegar. A lot of the time I add tomatoes and avocados. Its SOOOO good!!!

I like cucumbers but they give me hearburn now.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I like cucumbers but they give me hearburn now.

Its so weird b/c all of my cravings have been some kind of spicy or sour thing that should cause major heartburn! But they don't! I hated spicy stuff before getting pregnant, too, so i have no idea why. I figure my body must need it for some reason.

Whole wheat bread (especially homemade) gives me heartburn now, and so does pizza. (the crust, not the sauce) Weirdness, right?! lol
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    It is strange how our likes and dislikes change
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    With my first, i craved lemons and cucumber. I would have several lemons a day and bags full of cucumber.
    With this one, it's biscuits! I have boxes of biscuits especially McVities biscuits, stashed in my desk drawer at work and I would just go wild some days and then on other days I would have 3 -4 (different types. I have about four different boxes at the moment).
    Then i would go home and start the next round of biscuit hunting. Not fun!