zucchini noodles...I must be crazy

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I made this today and damned if it wasn't really good :huh:

The texture was just like pasta (as I remember it) and though I am able to tolerate shirataki noodles, infinitely better in taste, texture etc.

I'm really surprised.
'Pasta' dishes are back on the menu!!! I'm even going to try cauliflower rice, mash & pizza.

I feel dumb for getting sucked in to the whole 'there's just no substitute, if it fits your macros' BS :grumble:

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Zoodles! I love these too. Shirataki noodles smell kind of fishy...
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love 'zoodles' too!! Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time finding a yummy low carb spaghetti sauce. Every where I've looked the carbs are 11-15g per 1/4 cup. The low carb options are not the greatest here in Eastern Canada unfortunately. :grumble:
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love 'zoodles' too!! Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time finding a yummy low carb spaghetti sauce. Every where I've looked the carbs are 11-15g per 1/4 cup. The low carb options are not the greatest here in Eastern Canada unfortunately. :grumble:
    You could make your own, but a red sauce is going to have higher carbs.

I do buy an alfredo sauce from time to time that is 3g per 1/4 cup. Soooo good! I've bought several different brands.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, these zoodles sound ideal. Currently using shirataki but they cost a lot and not always convenient to get. Are you all preparing from scratch using zucchini or purchasing pre prepared? I would prefer fresh........any tips on methods would be great :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    311GrkpiMTL.jpg

I bought this little doo-dad from Amazon for under 10$. There are a couple of other options, but I didn't want to spend much in case it sucked :laugh:

It was very easy, worked like a potato peeler. Just run the thing down the length of the squash & keep going till you get to the seeds. At that point, just turn over and continue. You end up with a cube of zucchini to use elsewhere and a whole bunch of thinly sliced spaghetti sized zucchini.

I did it 2 ways yesterday and preferred the first way best. I prepared the squash as described above, added to heated pan with about 1T butter and some finely minced garlic. Tossed a bit to coat and heat, when the squash became a vibrant green and a bit tender, I added about 1/2 cup of half and half, a couple of tablespoons of bacon bits, about 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and a handful of frozen peas.

That's it. It was delicious...and gone once my moose of a son found it :laugh:

Later in the evening, I did some googling & found that folks will sprinkle salt on the prepared squash and allow to sit for 20 min or so to draw out the moisture. Then rinse off the salt & squeeze out moisture before cooking.

I did all of that but found it wasn't really necessary. Maybe because I made a smaller amount the first time?
    Also, don't be tempted to use the center with all the seeds for this, it holds too much moisture. I cubed up the centers & added cauliflower florets (cause cauli-rice is now on my radar) with garlic and oil and roasted.

The cubes disappeared completely but added moisture to the baking pan to cook the cauliflower. I'll save and add to soups next time rather than tossing into the compost pile.:drinker:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is my favorite because its easier, I like Zucchini noodles as well for pasta. I use shiratki only for asian dishes, its not really good enough for pasta. I buy Shiratki noodles in a korean store for $1.49 and it gets me two servings.
  • ultrahush
    ultrahush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with zucchini noodles is heat them up with some pesto and slice some kind of (low carb, obviously) sausage over the top. SO GOOD. I love bringing it to work because it heats up perfectly in the microwave. Costco sells pretty cheap pesto!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.ca/World-Cuisine-Tri-Blade-Plastic-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

I have this one. its expensive but sooooo awesome!!
  • rotnkat77
    rotnkat77 Posts: 28
    Options
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The spiralizers are awesome. Just like a giant veggie pencil sharpener. Too much fun, and so delicious. I had some zucchini noodles with pesto for breakfast the other day. :)
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I use Hunts Thick and Rich Spicy Red Pepper & Chilies ( gets the furnace going). Its 11g per 1/2 cup so that's only 5.5g per 1/4 cup and available in Atlantic Canada! or do you mean Ontario? I'm sure its the same there.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For Spaghetti sauce I use Ragu Light No Sugar Added has 8 grams carbs for 1/2 cup when you subtract the fiber. It's pretty good tasting too.

If you haven't tried cauliflower rice, definately do. It can be messy to make if you only have a cheese grater like me, but if you have a food processor with the grater attachment it would be much easier.

The other quick method is to take the raw cauliflower, piece it up and dump it in a blender about half full with water. Pulse until the cauliflower is in little bits. Then you just drain the water and you can sautee the chopped up cauliflower. I saw that method on a youtube video.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    311GrkpiMTL.jpg

I bought this little doo-dad from Amazon for under 10$. There are a couple of other options, but I didn't want to spend much in case it sucked :laugh:

It was very easy, worked like a potato peeler. Just run the thing down the length of the squash & keep going till you get to the seeds. At that point, just turn over and continue. You end up with a cube of zucchini to use elsewhere and a whole bunch of thinly sliced spaghetti sized zucchini.

I did it 2 ways yesterday and preferred the first way best. I prepared the squash as described above, added to heated pan with about 1T butter and some finely minced garlic. Tossed a bit to coat and heat, when the squash became a vibrant green and a bit tender, I added about 1/2 cup of half and half, a couple of tablespoons of bacon bits, about 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and a handful of frozen peas.

That's it. It was delicious...and gone once my moose of a son found it :laugh:

Later in the evening, I did some googling & found that folks will sprinkle salt on the prepared squash and allow to sit for 20 min or so to draw out the moisture. Then rinse off the salt & squeeze out moisture before cooking.

I did all of that but found it wasn't really necessary. Maybe because I made a smaller amount the first time?
    Also, don't be tempted to use the center with all the seeds for this, it holds too much moisture. I cubed up the centers & added cauliflower florets (cause cauli-rice is now on my radar) with garlic and oil and roasted.

The cubes disappeared completely but added moisture to the baking pan to cook the cauliflower. I'll save and add to soups next time rather than tossing into the compost pile.:drinker:

Thank you thank you, I cannot wait to get ZOODLING :) Your recipe sounds yummy xx