New Gear

Options

Replies

• KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I got my bike (finally!) and I'm LOVING it! My one scheduled long ride/week turned very quickly into two. I got a bento box to hold my phone and Clif bar. This was nice b/c every time I opened the saddle bag (that I stole off one of my boy's bikes and had to hand sew the zipper back together b/c it is that kind of excellent quality haha), I worried something like my car keys or wallet was going to fall out and had to keep stopping to check. Now I don't touch it until I get back from my ride. I just dig around in the bento box.

I got the 910, on sale. During the fabulous 2nd annual May sale. Procrastination paid off financially, although I wonder if I'd have done better with my training by having it earlier. But...nah...it all happens when it is supposed to. BTW, it doesn't count very well in the pool. At least, the one time I took it in there, I was unimpressed enough to not desire to take it in again. Yes, I read the "tips" on dcrainmaker, and right before I jumped in the pool (I was reading it in the locker room). It doesn't count laps when you use a kickboard. It adds extra laps sometimes. It doesn't like drills. I suppose if all one does is swim up and down, it could be helpful. I don't think I can go techie in the pool. Just me and the wall clock (and sometimes a coach). But I am looking forward to using it in OWSs.

I have too many new clothes - tops, bike shorts, special socks, on and on. I don't think I've bought more than a handful of regular clothes in the past year. My gym wear is taking over my closet.

And I just got Zone Testing today. Not a thing to look at, but something fun to play with.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    This is bad. I have needed a new vehicle for a long time. I was supposed to buy one LAST May. But now that I can throw my bike into my van and don't need a hitch or to worry about it getting stolen, I think I will keep the van longer.

Yes, it's true. My bike is worth more than my van.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Finally got some padded cycling shorts, makes a world of difference on the long training rides:)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think a tri suit is the only new tri gear I've gotten this season... not very exciting though.

A new mountain bike for me and a new road bike for my fiance have pretty thoroughly drained the bike fund...
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I bought a sleeveless wetsuit which I am finally starting to get used to...which is good b/c ocean OWS is on my agenda a bunch this summer. I am praying Polar gets OWS and swim metrics on the v800 soon b/c I personally don't like the 910xt...and my TomTom Multisport watch still does not have triathlon support or OWS support. I also bought some new cycling clothes which are pretty darn comfy, a waterproof 2XU racing jacket, and sme 2XU ankle and wrist compression sleeves. The final things on my list this year are a dual water bottle cage that goes behind my seat. Next year I want to switch out my aero bars for aero bars with shifters.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I bought a sleeveless wetsuit which I am finally starting to get used to...which is good b/c ocean OWS is on my agenda a bunch this summer. I am praying Polar gets OWS and swim metrics on the v800 soon b/c I personally don't like the 910xt...and my TomTom Multisport watch still does not have triathlon support or OWS support. I also bought some new cycling clothes which are pretty darn comfy, a waterproof 2XU racing jacket, and sme 2XU ankle and wrist compression sleeves. The final things on my list this year are a dual water bottle cage that goes behind my seat. Next year I want to switch out my aero bars for aero bars with shifters.

Must forget everything I just read.
  • daj150
    Options

Awww...why? What did I say?
  • KathleenKP
    Options

You and your suggestive words. Geez.

"Dual water bottle cage"
    "aero bars with shifters"
    "sleeveless wetsuit"

And there was more.

I was trying to forget all those things. Now I'm going to see this post swimming in my eyes the next time I head over to the shop.
  • daj150
    Options

You and your suggestive words. Geez.

"Dual water bottle cage"
    "aero bars with shifters"
    "sleeveless wetsuit"

And there was more.

I was trying to forget all those things. Now I'm going to see this post swimming in my eyes the next time I head over to the shop.

Haha...always glad to help :wink:
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I won a pair of BlueSeventy OWS goggles at my tri on Saturday. I got to use them today and they. were. awesome. I like the lenses much better than the Speedo mirrored ones I've used in the past. But they have no peripheral vision (the goggle frame is very dark). I'm thinking there is a reason for it - maybe something about all the bodies thrashing on top of each other not being visible causing a more relaxing swim. I don't know.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is definitely a sport that you can go crazy with gear.

this season i made the biggest and best investment so far: a proper bike fitting. i never knew how inefficient my cycling was until after the fitting. now i can ride aero for an entire race instead of just a mile or two at a time. i am so happy i did it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I won a pair of BlueSeventy OWS goggles at my tri on Saturday. I got to use them today and they. were. awesome. I like the lenses much better than the Speedo mirrored ones I've used in the past. But they have no peripheral vision (the goggle frame is very dark). I'm thinking there is a reason for it - maybe something about all the bodies thrashing on top of each other not being visible causing a more relaxing swim. I don't know.

Love my BlueSeventy goggles.
    this is definitely a sport that you can go crazy with gear.

this season i made the biggest and best investment so far: a proper bike fitting. i never knew how inefficient my cycling was until after the fitting. now i can ride aero for an entire race instead of just a mile or two at a time. i am so happy i did it.

Best $250 you can spend

New Rudy Project Wing57 showed up on my doorstep yesterday, and I'm still waiting on my power meter to come in.
  • Rilaid01
    Rilaid01 Posts: 6
    Options
    Funds are nil right now as we have a vacation to Yellowstone soon. I'm riding a 30 year old, steel, Nishiki Olympic with shifters on the down tube. I'd like to build up a bike from scratch that's more like a tri bike than some dorked up time machine. I'm looking into the Leader bike frames to start with, but this project will take some time. Other priorities right now.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Funds are nil right now as we have a vacation to Yellowstone soon. I'm riding a 30 year old, steel, Nishiki Olympic with shifters on the down tube. I'd like to build up a bike from scratch that's more like a tri bike than some dorked up time machine. I'm looking into the Leader bike frames to start with, but this project will take some time. Other priorities right now.

Curious as to why you're looking at Leader frames? Kind of off the beaten path.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I broke in my new swim lap counter yesterday. I know, exciting right? Hope you all were sitting down.
  • Rilaid01
    Rilaid01 Posts: 6
    Options
    Cheaper than brand name is about all I got. I don't have the time/patience to surf ebay bidding or craiglist for stuff. Need to keep it simple and costs down.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I took a few people's advice and got a pair of tri-shorts. AND I put a slicker pair of tires/tyres on my bike. AND I registered for my very first duathlon, taking place in 3 weeks from tomorrow, August 2!

Why did I wait so long to get those shorts? And those tires sure did increase my pace times on my bike training (even though I did fall off once a few weeks ago in the soft sugar sand when I was trying to turn around!) . And I'm a crazy mixture of nervous/excited/scared about racing on the 2nd.....what have I gotten myself into?
  • scott091501
    Options
    c94798b5b5e53dfb9c9a1d55e94a65fa98ee.jpg
  • Warren_Abrey
    Warren_Abrey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I upgraded my bike to a 'new to me' 2011 Cervelo S2 Dura Ace... Riding is so much more fun than on my ancient hybrid mountain bike!

Planning on a new set of googles next month (bike really blew the budget)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Latest toy...Speedfil A2 & stem mount (I don't have aero bars yet). Haven't installed it yet.