Elliot Hulse....yay or nay?

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
While looking around on youtube at form checks & stuff, I came across Elliot Hulse videos.

I find him hilarious, engaging & don't really know when to take him seriously when he talks, so I don't really take any of it seriously. Right now, it's about exercise related entertainment.

I know what I personally think of him, what I want to know is, what's the consensus on his area of expertise?

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I used to follow him closely - and in my honest opinion he has just gotten too weird for me.

I agree he is very interesting, but there are so many good fitness Youtube channels out there now, I just don't find myself checking his out anymore.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a fan of his information.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Interesting.
    Right now, I'm just watching some of the old 'Hey Elliot' vids where he answers ridiculous questions from people and it just seems like another version of 'Guy Code' :laugh:

Admittedly, I'm the kind of girl who doesn't listen a whole lot & my attention wanders easily when guys talk guy stuff. To make matters worse, I'm that girl who has her IPOD on so loud that she tunes you out. You can imagine how hard it can be training with someone else at the gym :laugh:

My husband's learned to deal with it.:smooched:

SS: wondering what 'information of his' specifically that you're not a fan of
    tedrickp: yeah, he gets kinda weird sometimes and I get the feeling the whole thing is a half put on :laugh:

ETA: I guess what I'm trying to say is that he is to me, what comic books are to kids who aren't particularly interested in reading?
  • hookilau
    Options
    ok now...found the Hodgetwins too...:laugh: :blushing: :huh: wth??:smokin:
    For sure not taking any of this seriously NOW.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Elliot Hulse is pretty knowledgeable about solid foundation training and bio-mechanics. I remember him saying one time that he is good at helping you build the "cake" while other sites are better for teaching you how to add the "frosting". I think that is a pretty accurate self-assessment. His philosophical soliloquies about life I think are a matter of taste.

The Hodge Twins are "Guy" funny, meaning I could maybe see where some women would find them offensive (I think they are pretty funny). Their training advice is pretty crappy though.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Elliot Hulse is pretty knowledgeable about solid foundation training and bio-mechanics. I remember him saying one time that he is good at helping you build the "cake" while other sites are better for teaching you how to add the "frosting". I think that is a pretty accurate self-assessment. His philosophical soliloquies about life I think are a matter of taste.

The Hodge Twins are "Guy" funny, meaning I could maybe see where some women would find them offensive (I think they are pretty funny). Their training advice is pretty crappy though.

lol! yeah hodgetwins scarred me after about 5 min of video :laugh: I wish I could unhear the echoes....feel like I walked into an occupied bathroom without knocking :huh: :laugh: ((skips away))
  • SideSteel
    Options
    For starters, he is claiming that through certain training (his), you can transform type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers into "TYPE THREE" fibers. This is quite "sellout"ish of him.

http://www.leanhybridmuscle.com/welcome/index.php?hop=balbohulse#Type-3

Here's his opinion on research, which is laughable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnTpfaBNx

Here he claims that good form is preventing someone from developing the neck and wrist and he encourages bad form so the user can grow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fyPrfN5t1N

All of the above is ridiculous. I spent about 15 minutes on the above, and it would not surprise me to find many more examples like this given that he is capable of making things up to answer a question or get clicks.

Now having said that, I have a bad habit of disregarding someone as being an idiot because they say ridiculous things when the truth is that he may have great information elsewhere that isn't contained in the same locations where he's saying complete nonsense and making up stuff to try to sell people.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like Elliott. He has a different take on fitness. More of the person as a whole.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OMG- the Hodge Twins- I couldn't take more than a couple of minutes of them pushing each other out of the way to scream at the camera.

I did like a few of Elliott's form videos, but then, it's hard to tell "fact from fiction".
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Elliott is very motivational. he does have some very good information concerning certain areas, especially deadlift form and stretching/mobility work. ill admit i dont watch him nearly as much as i use to, he has gotten out there a bit lately. but overall, if you go back to some of his older stuff its much better.
  • hookilau
    Options
    For starters, he is claiming that through certain training (his), you can transform type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers into "TYPE THREE" fibers. This is quite "sellout"ish of him.

Here he claims that good form is preventing someone from developing the neck and wrist and he encourages bad form so the user can grow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fyPrfN5t1N

All of the above is ridiculous. I spent about 15 minutes on the above, and it would not surprise me to find many more examples like this given that he is capable of making things up to answer a question or get clicks.

Now having said that, I have a bad habit of disregarding someone as being an idiot because they say ridiculous things when the truth is that he may have great information elsewhere that isn't contained in the same locations where he's saying complete nonsense and making up stuff to try to sell people.

With the exception of the first link, the other 2 don't have the vid anymore :brokenheart: . I didn't come across anything with him selling anything other than the workout program in the working link so...yeah :ohwell:

I appreciate your input. I'm not looking for a new religion or anything, funny as hell thought :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    Options

With the exception of the first link, the other 2 don't have the vid anymore :brokenheart: . I didn't come across anything with him selling anything other than the workout program in the working link so...yeah :ohwell:

I appreciate your input. I'm not looking for a new religion or anything, funny as hell thought :laugh:

Try this one, I messed the link up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnTpfaBNxU
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Elliott is very motivational. he does have some very good information concerning certain areas, especially deadlift form and stretching/mobility work. ill admit i dont watch him nearly as much as i use to, he has gotten out there a bit lately. but overall, if you go back to some of his older stuff its much better.
    Agree re the older stuff and the deadlifts. Some of his vids were just what I needed to process when I was hurt, including some of the motivational stuff. That's all I watched, though; there was way too much defensive drama, hucksterism, and chicks-are-the-enemy for my taste.
  • hookilau
    Options
    It's probably me...I still don't see what the issue is.

I mean, he's just a guy right? Offering his opinion on stuff?....why aren't I offended by what he has to say?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but when working through something, I find it helpful to hear what the opposing opinion is.

Now I'm not saying I'm on board with all the stuff he says, but it just seems to me he's just shooting the *kitten*.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    It's probably me...I still don't see what the issue is.

I mean, he's just a guy right? Offering his opinion on stuff?....why aren't I offended by what he has to say?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but when working through something, I find it helpful to hear what the opposing opinion is.

Now I'm not saying I'm on board with all the stuff he says, but it just seems to me he's just shooting the *kitten*.

Typing from my phone:

If this is in regards to the science vid, the issues I take are his claim that science is always changing and that because funding bias exists, he disregards research entirely. Funding biases do exist but that alone doesn't mean that:
    A) said piece of research is invalid
    Or
    B) all research is useless

The idea that science is always changing and therefore it's useless is also something I disagree with. Research gives you information. You can look at this information in a collective fashion and see which direction the research points to. When new research surfaces that challenges previous beliefs then you add this to the available data and reevaluate, or perhaps this leads to new questions or new methods.

Regarding the sales thing, I don't take any issue with selling programs. I take issue with claiming that your program creates hybrid fiber types much in the same way that I'd take issue with someone claiming that broccoli burns fat and using that claim to peddle their broccoli. Even though I think broccoli is a fine food and I wouldn't doubt if Elliot has a good program.

Finally, I don't think you're being argumentative. I'm not offended at Elliot or you or this discussion. You asked me my opinion and why, and I gave you good examples of misinformation.

And I do think there's value in an opposing view, but for example if my "opinion" is that you should overeat and stop moving to build muscle and lose fat, I expect my opinion to be challenged.
  • engian
    engian Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The OP's question prompted me to take a look at Elliot's videos for the first time. I picked one in which he talks (rants?) about how dead lifts and squats don't build core strength. He lost me a couple of times in the logic of his arguments, and I don't agree with his overall argument. Dead lifts and squats - performed right - sure do build core strength.

I agree with your view of scientific research SS. I watched his video on that too.

I think I've seen enough. No thanks.

Elia
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I subbed to his channel a long time ago. A lot of the specific workout tips he would give were useful and entertaining - and not commercially driven. My how that has changed! Now everything he does is geared toward his commercial interests and new found (or newly expressed) hippie tendencies.

If you are looking for some quality information on YT, I'd suggest the following:

Jonnie Candito
    Omar Isuf
    Jason Blaha (if you can put up with the surly attitude)
    Suneet Sebastian (smaller channel but great info on there)
    Broscience life (cos THE funniest stuff on youtube!)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I subbed to his channel a long time ago. A lot of the specific workout tips he would give were useful and entertaining - and not commercially driven. My how that has changed! Now everything he does is geared toward his commercial interests and new found (or newly expressed) hippie tendencies.

If you are looking for some quality information on YT, I'd suggest the following:

Jonnie Candito
    Omar Isuf

I like most of the above but I'd slap team 3DMJ on that list, at the top =)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Jonnie Candito
    Omar Isuf

I like most of the above but I'd slap team 3DMJ on that list, at the top =)

Oh crap, I forgot Sir Helms! It must have slipped off my radar because of all Brad's vlogs lately :laugh:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's a good list. It's funny when I first started watching YouTube channels it was Scooby/Hodge Twins - not big into research. Both of them helped me at first, but as I learned more there was plenty I didn't agree with.

Then I found Ian McCarthy and Blaha - and while I loved their evidence backed info - I find both of their personalities to be horrrrrrible. It was literally a chore to sit through the videos and gather their information.

Now though (thankfully) - there are sooo many great channels out there that have awesome advice AND interesting personalities...

Team3DJ
    Omar Isuf
    Johnny Candito
    Sebastian

Were all mentioned, and get a huge co-sign from me.

But also...

Campbell Fitness
    Chelsea Lifts (swooooooooon btw)
    Daniel John
    Lobliner (obv he sells plenty of things LOL)

There are even a few more lesser known channels with great content.