More on "Great Job" - in the real world!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
After inciting a blistering flame war in the general forums on whether it's sometimes insensitive to say "great job" about a workout, I've returned to the relative safety of the Long Distance Runners forum to ask a real world question:

If you are running along in a race or workout and someone comes blazing past you at a much faster pace, is it cool or rude if they tell you "great job!"

I tend to think it is cool, like "wow, that fast guy thought enough to say something to a fellow runner."

But maybe it's meant more as a subtle dis, as in "well, obviously you'll never be as good as me, but good for you for trying."

What do you think, Long Distance Runners?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't usually say "Great Job", my comment is usually "You are doing great, keep going."

ETA:

I think this really depends on the skill level and goals of the runner. Obviously if the runner was out to Master the race and they only finish 3rd in AG it really isn't a "Great job" but more of a "Nicely ran, better luck next time." IMO
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd rather hear "great job" rather than "keep it up" or "almost there." I don't think the runners are trying to be *kitten* on purpose, but innocuous comments like that could be taken as condescension, like "yeah no **** I'm slower than you."

Mind you, I have a fellow runner throwing shade at me in my profile pic.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have never considered it anything but encouraging. Especially being relatively new to the game of running, I too feel like "Wow. I'm a real runner because that other runner noticed me." LOL.

I also am one to always say a thank you for your support to the rows of spectators and ALWAYS to the volunteers at water stations etc.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Depends on the circumstance.

If you are running your heart out and they just barely get ahead at the end I would take it as an insult. If they are sarcastic-->insult.

If they are running the 5K, and my son is running the 10K and they pass him at the end but say great job to him as they pass->not an insult (this happened).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm slow. People say things like that to me a lot. I never take it offensively. I have also had people say positive stuff to me like "you are running well" when I am so I feel pretty confident their atta boy is genuine. I prefer to think of people as generally being positive.
    I also tend to cheer other runners on at local races. Sometimes its the faster people who are passing me on the return part of the out and back, sometimes, its to the people I am passing.

As for your original thread, I understood exactly where you were going with it. I think that the problem is that genpop tend to have a very wide variety of goals and abilities.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I have never considered it anything but encouraging. Especially being relatively new to the game of running, I too feel like "Wow. I'm a real runner because that other runner noticed me." LOL.

I also am one to always say a thank you for your support to the rows of spectators and ALWAYS to the volunteers at water stations etc.

I worked at an aid station once and you'd be surprised how many people don't even acknowledge them. Atfer that, I made it a point to say thank you or no thanks to them (my inner Canadian, eh?). Other than that, I speak to nobody. Unless there's a cute girl. I might tell her good job, or cool socks.

ETA: I may compliment someone, but first I will verify their performance against their expectations ;)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So i get people calling out encouraging comments to me a lot both in training and during races, because I'm that mom out there pushing a stroller. At first I was kind of offended, because I took "great job" to mean "at least you're up off your couch and trying even though you clearly aren't suited for running. " Once I realized they are just complimenting me on doing something they think is harder than what they are doing, I started to like it. I usually call back "you too!" because running takes hard work and determination no matter how far you are going or how long it takes you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are running along in a race or workout and someone comes blazing past you at a much faster pace, is it cool or rude if they tell you "great job!"

In my experience if someone goes blazing past you during a workout the correct response is to speed up and either stay with them or pass them back. If that person is a female you must past them.

The group I run with on Monday nights has a lot of former/current track runners and this seems to be their attitude to being passed while we are running.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do not mind others saying "great job" - but then I am a new runner and older than most other runners. With my silver hair I often get a comment. Ha.! Perhaps because I remind the younger ones of their grandmothers.
  • kaleidoscope79
    kaleidoscope79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unique to any other community I've been a part of, one of the reasons I absolutely *love* running is because of how positive and supportive so many runners are. It is heartwarming that advanced runners are encouraging other runners.

There are many other sports out there where people discourage others because they are in fear of being beat by them one day. It's terrible to feel so threatened that they must put someone down in an effort to stay ahead. Not most runners though. They try to inspire others to reach their potential, even if that means they will "beat" them some day. How awesome is that?!

I think it's very positive and I hope no one ever thinks twice about trying to life someone up and give them encouragement. Sometimes people may take it wrong, but that's on them-- they are likely negative people anyway. The overwhelming amount of positive people will be uplifted, and that's what it's all about.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My aunt (former cross country and track super star coached by the legendary Joe Vigil) gave me some interesting insight about this. She says that her opinion on this has changed through the years. Saying that when you're a HS and college athlete and you're on top of the world it's insulting if someone passes you and comments something like "great job" because you think you're invincible so how dare they pass you and offer some flip comment over their shoulder. However as you get older you take all the encouragement you can get and just assume it's sincere. If it's not who cares because you are doing a "great job" getting out there off the sofa. I'm trying to take her advice or at least take it with a grain of salt because I'll never be the lead runner and I'm okay with that. I also like to think of when I see someone struggling or I'm able to pass someone if I say something to them I know I'm trying to be encouraging not a smart pants. #mytwocents
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If someone in the same races as me tells me good job as they pass me, uh no!! I know you're kicking my as$ don't need to run it in. Clearly not doing a good job. Haha.. But I don't really care. I always say "you too" if I can breathe.. I never tell people good job anymore after reading this runners world article.. Some old dude was bashing people who say "good job" while in a race. So I stopped saying it lol
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Unique to any other community I've been a part of, one of the reasons I absolutely *love* running is because of how positive and supportive so many runners are. It is heartwarming that advanced runners are encouraging other runners.

There are many other sports out there where people discourage others because they are in fear of being beat by them one day. It's terrible to feel so threatened that they must put someone down in an effort to stay ahead. Not most runners though. They try to inspire others to reach their potential, even if that means they will "beat" them some day. How awesome is that?!

I think it's very positive and I hope no one ever thinks twice about trying to life someone up and give them encouragement. Sometimes people may take it wrong, but that's on them-- they are likely negative people anyway. The overwhelming amount of positive people will be uplifted, and that's what it's all about.

QFT.

Runners are all kinds of awesome, and not one whom I've had a chance to run beside whether training or in a race, have ever struck me as someone who would say "good job" to another runner with anything other than the intention of motivating them.

We all started somewhere, and I feel like runners stick together and help each other out a lot.

With so much negativity and general butt hurt in the world I choose to take compliments as that, compliments, and let the bad energy (if any was intended) stay with the person who delivered it.

Hell, last half, I was the only person in a long line of runners who applauded and cheered for the male leaders who were already on their way to the finish line. I yelled to them "Great run guys!". I don't care how they took it, I'm sure they knew that they were doing great, but I did it for me too, because seeing them moving along also gave me a little boost to my energy in the race.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I worked at an aid station once and you'd be surprised how many people don't even acknowledge them. Atfer that, I made it a point to say thank you or no thanks to them (my inner Canadian, eh?). Other than that, I speak to nobody. Unless there's a cute girl. I might tell her good job, or cool socks.

ETA: I may compliment someone, but first I will verify their performance against their expectations ;)

I also say thanks to the aid station people whether I take something or not.

I don't say something to people at every race, I'm talking our small races where I know 3/4 of the people running. I'll acknowledge the people I know.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I worked at an aid station once and you'd be surprised how many people don't even acknowledge them. Atfer that, I made it a point to say thank you or no thanks to them (my inner Canadian, eh?).

I've been on the other side of that table too and it's mind boggling how some people will barely acknowledge your existence. I've been at races where the aid stations are so remote the volunteers have been camping out there overnight. I always, always thank them for being out there.

Back on topic, I think how one receives and reacts to such words has more to do with you than with them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I also say thanks to the aid station people whether I take something or not.

I don't say something to people at every race, I'm talking our small races where I know 3/4 of the people running. I'll acknowledge the people I know.

This is why I'll take my small club races over the big ones anyday. I'm starting to see familiar faces, and they recognize me too. There's always that one guy/girl who they and I pass each other back and forth, or someone who was *just* ahead of me for a long way. I try to tell them after the finish something like "you killed it" or "you held a solid pace." At my 5K last week, I had a guy who was just ahead of me for the first two miles, then started to move his arms in an "I'm getting tired" kind of way (you kinda just know), and I slowly overtook him. He finished about 20secs behind me and at the finish he thanked me and said I helped him get his sub-20 PR, and I told him he helped me too. It's really cool how stuff like that brings out the good in people. Or maybe it's that near-death experience and gratitude of surviving the race :laugh:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances during a race. If it's in the early half of a race and someone blows by me, I just figure they started near the back. If it's it in the later stages and I feel like I'm running well and I get passed, I'll pay a compliment. I think it's appropriate then.

During workouts, I try to always give words of encouragement to other runners. The route I run regularly will have a couple hundred runners on Saturday mornings, many of whom are with beginning running groups. There are some wicked *kitten* hills on the route and they are hell on some of the beginners. I ALWAYS tell them how great they are going going up the hills. I know it would help me if someone did that for me.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I tend to think it is cool, like "wow, that fast guy thought enough to say something to a fellow runner."

i think this as well. ^^^
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have learned to consider all comments, waves and random shouts to be encouraging unless I can clearly hear/see them.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You must thank all the volunteers because without them there would be NO event. I see so many people who don't say anything to them. Augh! #raceemployeepetpeeve