How do you know if you are fat adapted?

kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Ok so I've been eating Keto since March 1st, I've lost 21 lbs since then which is great. I've just started at the gym so I've been doing a lot more exercise lately and finally my ketones are going up (still low, highest was 1.7) My question is how do you know when your body is burning fat?

Replies

• SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    So your question is asking how do we know when we're burning fat, but that could be interpreted as when we're actually keto-adapted.

Keto adapted is pretty clear as the point at which you no longer experience any keto flu symptoms AND you're consistently maintaining a fasting ketone level of greater than 0.5 (I shoot for 1.0 or higher).

Over time we know if we're burning fat by changes in body composition, but if you're asking if we can tell in real-time I can only offer that a couple evenings ago I went to bed and as I was laying there trying to fall asleep I could feel fat just melting away. I know that sounds weird, but I had felt this before and I just knew I was going to see a good loss in the morning. The next morning, lo and behold, I did have a 2 lbs. loss. I don't know how to explain it, but there's this feeling of satiety without feeling full in the stomach that I sometimes have in the evening that seems to coincide with better fat loss that shows up in the next morning's weigh in. I know what you must be thinking - this guy is nuts!
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    I just remembered a web page I had read a while back that actually explains fat-adapted versus being keto-adapted. Maybe this is what you're after.

http://primalnorth.blogspot.ca/p/keto-adaptation-vs-low-carb-limbo.html
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    "Keto adapted is pretty clear as the point at which you no longer experience any keto flu symptoms AND you're consistently maintaining a fasting ketone level of greater than 0.5 (I shoot for 1.0 or higher)."

I haven't had keto flu since week one and although my ketones aren't high they have been consistantly over 0.5 since the first week as well. I guess I'm doing ok.

I'll check out that article. thanks!