Week 5/6

Options
sayray16
sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
These past two weeks have been so great for me. My knee pain is almost completely gone, and guess what that means.... I am back to running again! It is amazing how I was so frustrated when my body wasn't capable of running, even for just those couple of weeks. So I have learned that it was completely irresponsible of me to just go from nothing to running 5K's every day. I do about two hours of cardio everyday (Elliptical, Stair Master, Treadmill, Weights). I started this journey at 182 pounds and am now at 173.6 pounds. I am averaging a little over a pound per week. I also have stared walking the treadmill for 3 minutes, running for 2 minutes, and repeating that process for twenty minutes. Today was actually the first day I was able to do the entire 5K again with no knee pain at all, and I rain 15 minutes of the 50 minutes it took me to finish. So that is my progress so far. I just wanted to send a quick thank you to all of you who are following this group and checking in with us. Now my question to all of my Couch to 5K-ers out there is, what is the best way to go about doing this time-wise? Do you think my 3min walk, 2 min run is a good way to work up to running the whole thing?

Replies

• chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes it is! I still run in intervals and have been at this for a long time. Just increase your running time gradually and it will feel easier as you go. If I need a little boost I go back to the week 1 just to do one of those runs and see how I do. My favorite thing in the couch to 5k program rundouble has is their zero to 10k. I just started week 5 on it, and do the distance one. You should try it, I like going outside better than inside as I feel like hills are helpful. My weight loss has been lackluster but I have a thyroid issue so that happens from time to time despite activity.
  • sayray16
    sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks a bunch! I really need to look up how people go about the couch to 5k. I know there is an actual plan week to week but I've never seen it so I don't know the exact plans.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks a bunch! I really need to look up how people go about the couch to 5k. I know there is an actual plan week to week but I've never seen it so I don't know the exact plans.

If you have an android or an iphone you should definitely check it out. I run with headphones and phone attached for music. I like going outside and I start the program and my music player and a robot lady prompts me to run or walk. I have found though on the distance runs its sometimes kinda inaccurate. Like today it was super duper hot out and I went jogging with program and it told me I went 4.2 miles, I rechecked my route with mapmyrun.com and it was more like 3.4 there was no breeze and at the time it was about 90-95, its usually in the 70s so I was dying and slooow.