Shoulder- ouch!

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
So my shoulder has been bothering me and I took two weeks off from kettlebell. It felt better today so I gave my workout
a try. Lower weights and felt fine during, but an hour later I can barely blow dry my hair without crying in
pain! Its summer and I need to workout. Is it silly to only work with one arm?

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    not at all - there have been studies done that show that working one side helps stop atrophy in the non working side - but if you have taken 2 weeks off and the first day back has cause so much discomfort I would suggest a visit to a doctor.

Can I ask what you did with what weight ?
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone who can analyze your form for whatever the exercise was?

I've had to take time off too from kettlebells & it's no fun not being able to do what you want.
  • kikih64
    Options
    I use Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Dvd. I've been using kettlebells for about two years off and on. I think I hurt my shoulder doing something else. I remember thinking I slept on it funny or something. I have been using 25# for about three months. I dropped back to 15 for my workout yesterday. I think I'll continue and just work my right side so my left can rest. I will the see the doc if it doesn't improve soon. Such a bummer.
  • spicegeek
    Options
    I was more wondering what exercises you did that involved your shoulders e.g - clean and press ?, snatches ??
  • kikih64
    Options
    Sorry Spice! Yes, the routines definitely include the overhead moves - snatches, presses, windmills. I took a look at a youtube vid for snatch form and I think I need to tweak that a bit. I don't think I was doing it quite right. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have much luck finding KB instruction - there are a few trainers that do it privately, but no classes. It might be worth spending the $$ for a few sessions, but I can't really swing that right now.

It's just odd. I haven't had any issues up til now and I've been doing the same routines. Could be when I upped the weight I lost my form and it just aggravated the shoulder over time.

I'll try some modifications and some rest and go from there.
  • spicegeek
    Options
    it doesn't take much to yank your shoulder out of your form is not right - always keep you eye on the bell when it`s above your head - think about pointing your elbow forward and your thumb back - it creates a more stable over head lock then fist forward - your arm should be braced up against your head almost

A lot of overhead moves work your lats a great deal - if you have any tightness in that area or down between your shoulder blades that could be affecting you - try taking a trigger point ball and seeing you have any bad spots - I`m so lucky my massage therapist also works as a trainer at my gym so he is very well aware of the volume and weight of kettle bell work I do and knows exactly what needs working out - I would never know until he starts digging !!
  • kikih64
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I always have issues on my right side between shoulder blade and spine - when I have massages and when I use my foam roller I try to get it worked out. Could be some sort of compensation deal that it's my left shoulder that's injured.
  • kikih64
    Options
    Update - I seem to be doing a bit better. Still not doing any overhead moves on the left and no one-arm swings. When possible, I've been using 15# on the left and 25# on the right (except the alternating clean move, using 25 for both). I'm going to give this a few weeks more, then experiment with the overhead moves.

Thanks for your input!