Vaginal Delivery after C Section

Options
mommyrunning
mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
Has anyone had a successful vaginal delivery after having a C-section? Our first child was delivered vaginally. Our second was delivered via c section after I made it to 8cm and then baby's heart rate dropped. Of the 2 experiences I much prefer the vaginal delivery. My doctor is willing to try a vaginal delivery but warned me some local hospitals won't allow vaginal delivery after c section and especially if it hasn't been at least 2 years and a doctor from my doctor's office will have to be there so if they are busy it could be an issue. For me it will be 23 months. Any one have experiences they are willing to share?

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have had one child, a Csection that should not have been a Csection. I very much wish I was more educated back then but I was 18 and naive and I allowed them to pressure me into a Csection and there was no medical need for it.
    I am now fighting with the same doctor's office and same hospital with the same thing. Last time their tactics worked and I gave in. Now, they are trying to tell me I have to have a Csection because I had one before and are using every scare tactic in the book - "what if your baby gets too big?" "What about the risk of uterine rupture?" and stupid comments like "oh, pregnancy is so hard. Trust us when you go over due date you are going to want to just be done - we can accomdate that!"
    I told them I want to go into labor on my own and will only be doing a Csection if there is an absolute medical reason and they freaked out. "Oh, we can't let you do that. If you go over due we are going to have to get that baby out!" Again, I told them "No. Unless there is a medical reason, I have every right to refuse!"
    They weren't thrilled but had to agree with me. You have absolutely every right - as a parent, as a person and as a patient to refuse! Please do not let them scare you. Do not let them pressure you into a Csection because of 'risks' or 'big baby' or 'over due' or whatever else they try pulling. Unless that baby's heart rate drops, you develop a fever or become unconscious - there is no reason to let them.
    Women go over due, by several weeks even, all the time with no complications and go on to deliver healthy perfect babies.
    I have faith in my body and I know I can do this on my own. I am still hurt and feel sad I was deprived of that before and I will not let them do it again. I can do this!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have no experience. I have a few girlfriends, however, who have done VBAC's successfully (at least one had 2 of her kids within 2 years or each other). It's great that your OB says they're willing to try. That's half the battle, from what I understand. I live in Chicago so there are probably 10 top-notch hospitals within an hour of me so it's not uncommon around here. It's also pretty rare for a hospital-staff doctor to deliver, as most OB practices around here are large so the odds are really high that one can get there in time when we're in labor. At least one friend that had a VBAC used a doula and I think that helped her stand firm with her choice. Her doula was her voice.

I had a C-section in December. My OB said he absolutely would let me try for a vaginal delivery next time around if it's what I want. He said he often encourages women to consider a C if they've had one in the past primarily because scheduled C's tend to go better and have quicker recovery rates than emergency C's. Around here a scheduled C means you get the top notch medical staff... Let's just say the senior people with tons of experiences aren't working nights and weekends (my MD cousin kinda clued me in on this one. The more accolades and recognition he earned...the better his shifts got.) But my OB also respects that a lot of women want the experience of a vaginal delivery, and it sounds like yours does as well.

I hope you have a beautiful delivery the way you want it to be!! If you end up with a C I hope it's because it's what YOU chose, not what was chosen for you.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience, but I am glad you asked as I am very interested in reading the responses. I had an emergency c-section with my daughter, and it was actually medically necessary. I am trying for a VBAC with this pregnancy. I am seeing a different group of doctors this time around, and I am so thankful that they have been incredibly supportive of my decision.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. I feel I can stay firm but I am curious about the physical aspect and things to be aware of. I've done some research but got a lot of general info such as a bigger baby makes that harder. My first was 7lbs 11 oz and second was 8lbs 10 oz. They also said higher weight gain might make it difficult. I am 7 1/2 weeks and so far have gained and lost the same 1 lb so I am doing okay there. Just want to maximize my chances of a VBAC.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience - I had all 3 of mine vaginally - but here in England they encourage VBACs. In fact, they want more women to have homebirths or give birth in midwife-led units.

A friend of mine wanted a VBAC after an emergency c-sec with her first, and they were fine with that, but she went overdue, and they wouldn't induce for fear of rupturing her scar. She went 10 days over, and had an elective c-sec.
    I know of others who've had successful VBACs though.

We have very little input from doctors in pregnancy, although they may send you to see a consultant if you're going for a VBAC. I didn't see a doctor in any of my pregnancies, and I had my third in a midwife-led unit - no doctors, no epidurals.

Definitely push ( no pun intended) for what you want.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I don't have personal experience - I had all 3 of mine vaginally - but here in England they encourage VBACs. In fact, they want more women to have homebirths or give birth in midwife-led units.

A friend of mine wanted a VBAC after an emergency c-sec with her first, and they were fine with that, but she went overdue, and they wouldn't induce for fear of rupturing her scar. She went 10 days over, and had an elective c-sec.

We have very little input from doctors in pregnancy, although they may send you to see a consultant if you're going for a VBAC. I didn't see a doctor in any of my pregnancies, and I had my third in a midwife-led unit - no doctors, no epidurals.

It's funny how different things can be from one country to the next and what docs in one country avoid is perfectly normal in another country. Maybe I should move to England :>
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

It's funny how different things can be from one country to the next and what docs in one country avoid is perfectly normal in another country. Maybe I should move to England :>

Yeah, come over :smile: Maybe your baby would get dual nationality then!

Don't forget there's no money involved here, we have free healthcare. I'm sure that is partly why they put women off having c-secs!

Our maternity wards are staffed with midwives and health care assistants. You'd only see a doctor if you got into difficulty. The only doctors I've ever seen have been paediatricians to check my baby after. In fact, after my 2nd we were sent home without even seeing a paediatrician, just had to get her checked by our GP the next day. I didn't even stay overnight with my 2nd and 3rd, and only stayed in with my first as he wouldn't feed.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Check out the cesareanrates.com website to see which local hospitals have the best rates and see if you can find an ICAN group to recommend a provider. A doula is practically a necessity for a vbac.

I've done it twice and though I had to travel to obtain care, it was so worth it :)
  • dandelyon
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. I feel I can stay firm but I am curious about the physical aspect and things to be aware of. I've done some research but got a lot of general info such as a bigger baby makes that harder. My first was 7lbs 11 oz and second was 8lbs 10 oz. They also said higher weight gain might make it difficult. I am 7 1/2 weeks and so far have gained and lost the same 1 lb so I am doing okay there. Just want to maximize my chances of a VBAC.
    Eh since so few women get to vbac don't you kind of question the "facts"? But as far as size and weight gain are concerned, I gained 55 lbs with my second and he was 10 14... And he was a pretty easy birth.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Dandelyon that's a healthy size baby :> hearing that is reassuring. With our first two I was in the military so we had few choices. So this time I have more options and am trying to figure it all out.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections. First was because baby was in distress-heart rate kept increasing. Turns out he was a 10 pounder! Second baby I opted for a repeat c-section because I HATED having to labor for over a day only to end up with a c-section. That was the ONE thing I didn't want to happen, and of course, it did. But to answer your question, my doctor is very pro-VBAC. After I had my second c-section, he said if I do want to have a third child, he would be comfortable with me attempting a VBAC, if that is what I wanted to do. Is there another hospital in your area? It seems to me like hospitals that are anti-VBAC tend to be dated in their practices and methods for other aspects of delivery as well.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Don't worry too much about baby's weight,they could be long and thin! My third was 9lbs1 and I didn't even need stitches. Having just gas and air helps as you can feel to push. Not sure if that's an option in the US.
  • dandelyon
    Options
    Don't worry too much about baby's weight,they could be long and thin! My third was 9lbs1 and I didn't even need stitches. Having just gas and air helps as you can feel to push. Not sure if that's an option in the US.

I've never heard of it, unless it goes by another name here, although there are other meds besides the famous epidural - however they don't wear off quickly like gas and air :( Most hospitals also have some sort of tub option now, too, but you usually have to ask for it. Being in water made it more bearable for me (when things really started rocking).

Additionally, I was hands and knees position for my third who was 9 1/2 lbs and there was also no tearing - your position can really mitigate the difficulty of pushing out a bigger baby. I'm not sure how long I pushed, but I know my midwife ran in and delivered him in her Columbia fleece (weird detail I remember) because there was no time for scrubs.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Gas and air is called entonox. You can either have that, pethidine or an epidural here. Some hospitals offer diamorphine.

I also used a TENS machine, which basically electrocutes you lol. I found it helped, especially with my third who was back to back.
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have experience per say other than I am also trying a VBAC this time. My first was a c section after "failure to progress". I pushed but never felt the urge, it was coached pushing and I think the baby was not far enough down yet. I also had several interventions I didn't want the first time (like pitocin to augment labor and wasn't allowed to move around like I wanted during labor, stayed flat on my back the whole time and I didn't know enough to argue with anything they told me at that time).

This time, I have switched to a different practice in another town that I feel is more supportive of vbacs. I feel it will be worth the 1 hour drive to know I have done everything I can do to have a successful vbac. I also feel the hospital I will use this time is more natural childbirth friendly than the one where I had my first baby. They even have a program there where there are doulas on staff and you can get one if you request one for no extra charge.
  • dandelyon
    Options
    Gas and air is called entonox. You can either have that, pethidine or an epidural here. Some hospitals offer diamorphine.

I also used a TENS machine, which basically electrocutes you lol. I found it helped, especially with my third who was back to back.

I googled and it looks like it may be coming back into use here, but very slowly and without the approval of ACOG, which it will need if it is to be offered routinely.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

I googled and it looks like it may be coming back into use here, but very slowly and without the approval of ACOG, which it will need if it is to be offered routinely.

It's used loads here, I've used it in all 3 labours. I like it because it wears off quickly and has no effect on the baby, and although it doesn't stop the pain, it takes the edge off. It makes you feel a bit drunk. I used the pool in my third labour, so that with the gas and air made me feel quite chilled out!

I had my third in a midwife led unit, so all you can have is gas and air or pethidine. There are no doctors, apart from a paediatrician who checks your baby before they discharge you.

They want more women to use midwife led units, or have home births here.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I am learning about things I didn't even know existed. I had never heard of entonox before I saw it here. You are all giving me lots of questions for my hospital tours :>
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't get my VBAC. But, this experience was so much better than the last. The doctor was great and I didn't have any major problems. I am still healing and still hurting but it isn't as bad as last time.
    I am still feeling sad that a natural delivery is something I will never experience but am grateful for technology and see having a Csection in a whole different light now. If it weren't for that medical intervention being a possibility, my baby may not have survived.
    I do so hope you achieve your VBAC still but hope you don't let it stop you if it is medically neccesary.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Well, I didn't get my VBAC. But, this experience was so much better than the last. The doctor was great and I didn't have any major problems. I am still healing and still hurting but it isn't as bad as last time.
    I am still feeling sad that a natural delivery is something I will never experience but am grateful for technology and see having a Csection in a whole different light now. If it weren't for that medical intervention being a possibility, my baby may not have survived.
    I do so hope you achieve your VBAC still but hope you don't let it stop you if it is medically neccesary.

I am sorry about your experience. I know how stressful and traumatic my emergency c section was and your situation was more serious so I can only imagine. I will have a c section if medically necessary of course. I didn't feel all the interventions were necessary last time around. I am just hoping for a say so and options this time around. I was getting the answer that basically since I had a c section before I'd most likely have to have one again and only for the reason that I had a previous one which is non-sense.