low carb and exercise

Options
Most people I have read about seem to have no issue with working out while on a low carb diet.
I eat anywhere from 15-30 grams of carbs per day and have been in ketosis for about a month now.
Any other times I have eaten this way,I have had boundless energy after a 2 week adjustment period.
I am feeling the opposite this time.
I have enough energy to get through my day,do my usual routine but trying to add in any fitness is impossible beyond walking.
I was listing and running fasted the last time and this time it would probably kill me.
What I am looking for is people's experiences with eating low carb and on workout days eating at a more moderate level.
My fear is increasing my sugar cravings.I refuse to go back there and I am still wondering if I am in an adjustment phase.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I do realise that the solution may be upping my carbs to around 50 grams per day but I am not quite ready to do that just yet.

Replies

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi spoonful! I did strict clean keto for 6 months really paying attention to electrolytes and micronutrients. And I never felt great. That time did break the sugar habit for me though. I now eat 20/40/40 and have a normal energy level again and no sugar monster or carb cravings. Keto just didn't work for me. Sorry I know your looking for tips to make it work I felt like I tried everything and my health issues were all much worse on keto and the energy level was totally unacceptable for my lifestyle (active job, cross fit, three young kids).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have extremely good energy levels while fasted and ketogenic. But I also eat more than 20 carbs per day. I TOTALLY understand how important it is to keep the sugar addiction under control. I'm still struggling with wanting to over-consume carbs and I haven't completed a 30 day period of strict re-adjustment to keto yet. However, having those carbs too high, even just a day here and there, keeps me struggling.

BUT.

I have always felt AWESOME when I am ketogenic. If you do not feel awesome then I think it's urgent to address that. Perhaps higher carbs, if all from vegetables, keeping sugar low, might be worth trying? How do you do with sweet potatoes and squashes?

If you aren't feeling good, there's something missing.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi spoonful! I did strict clean keto for 6 months really paying attention to electrolytes and micronutrients. And I never felt great. That time did break the sugar habit for me though. I now eat 20/40/40 and have a normal energy level again and no sugar monster or carb cravings. Keto just didn't work for me. Sorry I know your looking for tips to make it work I felt like I tried everything and my health issues were all much worse on keto and the energy level was totally unacceptable for my lifestyle (active job, cross fit, three young kids).
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I am going to play around with more carbs during workouts and see if it helps.
    I know that I will probably have to up my carbs but I don't want to do much of that until I am out of the woods where cravings are concerned.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have extremely good energy levels while fasted and ketogenic. But I also eat more than 20 carbs per day. I TOTALLY understand how important it is to keep the sugar addiction under control. I'm still struggling with wanting to over-consume carbs and I haven't completed a 30 day period of strict re-adjustment to keto yet. However, having those carbs too high, even just a day here and there, keeps me struggling.

BUT.

I have always felt AWESOME when I am ketogenic. If you do not feel awesome then I think it's urgent to address that. Perhaps higher carbs, if all from vegetables, keeping sugar low, might be worth trying? How do you do with sweet potatoes and squashes?

If you aren't feeling good, there's something missing.

There is something missing for sure.
    I am going to add in some sweet potato tomorrow and see if I can manage to workout after the fact.
    I am sure if I feel better,I will have my answer