New to the group and exploring!

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
Hello there!

I've recently become interested in keto. I've been paleo/a little primal since last August and my health has improved and I've lost a few pounds. I do strength training and sprints and am looking for a plan to help shed a little bit more fat. I would consider myself in maintenance with the exception of wanting to lose that last little layer of fat. I'll be turning 50 in a few months and I can't believe that I feel like I am in the best shape and health of my life!

I have had my macros set at 50f/25p/25c for quite a while and have pretty much stabilized there. I thought my first step would be to adjust that down to 70f/20p/10c and make some tweaks to my diet to see if I can hit that. Does this sound like a good plan? I feel like I may need to go fully primal to achieve this and add dairy back in on a regular basis.

I intend to up my water intake and buy some Ketostix. I need to find out more about this. Do you test everyday?

I have found what appear to be some good resources online, but does anyone have recommendations? I didn't see a "sticky" post for this sort of info. I'm currently reading Wheat Belly and plan to check out Grain Brain after. Any other books/authors?

One more question - do you have sources for meal plans? I don't have a problem tweaking my current diet, but love to get new ideas and recipes.

Thank you all! I look forward to learning and sharing with the group.

Replies

• AmyMS86
    AmyMS86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Have you been on Reddit's Keto page? There is a link to a calculator on the right hand side of the page with the other links. I found it to be very helpful. Per it's suggestion, I use the 65f/30p/5c (works out to 20g of carbs a day, but I don't mind if I go up to 25). It's working pretty well for me. You may try that and see what macros it gives you.

As for meal plans, I usually browse pinterest for "keto", "primal", or "paleo". My favorite sites are Mark's Daily Apple, Against All Grain, Primal Palate, and The Domestic Man.

Good luck!

ETA - Feel free to add me!
  • rotnkat77
    rotnkat77 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hello there!

I've recently become interested in keto. I've been paleo/a little primal since last August and my health has improved and I've lost a few pounds. I do strength training and sprints and am looking for a plan to help shed a little bit more fat. I would consider myself in maintenance with the exception of wanting to lose that last little layer of fat. I'll be turning 50 in a few months and I can't believe that I feel like I am in the best shape and health of my life!

I have had my macros set at 50f/25p/25c for quite a while and have pretty much stabilized there. I thought my first step would be to adjust that down to 70f/20p/10c and make some tweaks to my diet to see if I can hit that. Does this sound like a good plan? I feel like I may need to go fully primal to achieve this and add dairy back in on a regular basis.

I intend to up my water intake and buy some Ketostix. I need to find out more about this. Do you test everyday?

I have found what appear to be some good resources online, but does anyone have recommendations? I didn't see a "sticky" post for this sort of info. I'm currently reading Wheat Belly and plan to check out Grain Brain after. Any other books/authors?

One more question - do you have sources for meal plans? I don't have a problem tweaking my current diet, but love to get new ideas and recipes.

Thank you all! I look forward to learning and sharing with the group.

Hi there,

I don't use the ketostix as I find I that they were not that accurate for me. I got a free Ketone/Glucose meter mailed to me and I test about 1-2 times a week.

If you have a Kindle type thing there are a lot of great books out there (many can be had for next to nothing). My fave right now is "Keto Adapted" by Maria Emmerich. Here's her website: mariamindbodyhealth.com/

If you are on Pinterest there are ton of recipes to get. Here's my Pinterest boards if you're interested: http://www.pinterest.com/rotnkat/

I really am loving this way of eating!!!! I just turned 49 in May and have some hormonal & health issues. So far Keto has been the best for me and my adult acne is almost gone :)

Anita