Protecting Ears

Options
Hi,

I am curious if any of you swim with plugs to prevent water getting where it shouldn't, and how you treat your ears if water does get in. Thanks!

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I haven't used ear plugs so far, but may do so once I research them more. I just pull my bathing cap down over ears. I got a bathing cap that says it's for long hair so it isn't tight fitting. If my ears feel uncomfortable after swimming I put ear drops in them which helps.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Shaking my head usually gets water out of my ears, or I just wait and eventually the water drains.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I shake my head too, tilt it to the side, or if all else fails, hop on one foot with my head to the side - it works every time!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I use swimming plugs!
    Was tired of not being able to hear because my ears have water in them!
    That said the ones I use are not full proof, and water still does get in there on occasion!
    Guess it comes with the territory!
  • mcruzin91
    mcruzin91 Posts: 7
    Options
    I hate getting water in my ears for the whole day and during the winter months I'm prone to getting ear infections when I go below 10' without ear plugs. These are the ones I use

http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Nose-Clip-Ear-Plug/dp/B003VS4SSS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402678519&sr=8-4&keywords=swimming+speedo+ear+plugs

but I've heard they don't work well with those with small ears
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I used some swimmers ear plugs and it was great!!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I hate getting water in my ears for the whole day and during the winter months I'm prone to getting ear infections when I go below 10' without ear plugs. These are the ones I use

http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Nose-Clip-Ear-Plug/dp/B003VS4SSS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402678519&sr=8-4&keywords=swimming+speedo+ear+plugs

It's likely that you're causing barotrauma and that what you have isn't an actual infection. Practice beginning to clear your ears on the surface, and continually all the way down.
    There are a lot of doctors unable to differentiate an ear with barotrauma and infection.
    I'm a scuba diver (Divemaster and tech diver) and have taken additional diving medicine courses,too.
  • mcruzin91
    mcruzin91 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hmm I'm somewhat familiar with barotrauma because I've dived before, I acutally have my advanced... but i'm pretty certain they are ear infections. When diving we always use a variety of techinques to equalize the pressure which im sure you are well familiar with. When I go underwater for a prolonged amount of time the water for some reason stays in my ear for while and turns into an ear/sinus infetion.
  • tracydr
    Options
    I have a lightweight scuba "beanie" cap which is about 1-2mm of neoprene that I wear if water is even slightly cool. It really seems to help my ears.
    On dive trips I take a prescription drop called pramotic, although I think it's been discontinued. Aural gain works well or an acetic acid solution. ( diluted vinegar).
    Look up "sea drops" for a recipe.
  • tracydr
    Options
    Hmm I'm somewhat familiar with barotrauma because I've dived before, I acutally have my advanced... but i'm pretty certain they are ear infections. When diving we always use a variety of techinques to equalize the pressure which im sure you are well familiar with. When I go underwater for a prolonged amount of time the water for some reason stays in my ear for while and turns into an ear/sinus infetion.
    Have you ever tried a drying agent like swimmers ear or diluted vinegar?
    If I dive to the bottom of the pool or while on scuba without fully clearing my ears they tend to seem muffled and a bit tender for days. Especially if I develop a reverse ear block, which occurs on ascent. Maybe this is what's happening? It's actually caused by gas being trapped behind the ear drum and inability to release the gas through thee Eustachian tubes, usually due to allergies or sinus issues.
  • tracydr
    Options

I have teeny,tiny ear canals. I have to wear custom ear plugs for shooting. I suspect it would be the same for swimming ear plugs. I can't get ear buds to stay in my ears. Even foam ear plugs are too big and don't stay put.
  • smm773
    smm773 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I swim with headphones in, so that helps. but i also carry a bottle around with me that had a mix of peroxide and vinegar and i put a drop or two in each ear after my shower. been much better since i started to do that.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have to use swimming ear plugs, even in the shower. I overproduce wax and water gets trapped behind it and without the earplugs I would be deaf with water blockage for a good part of the day. Unfortunately (so my doc told me) that can also contribute to infections and after perforating my eardrums 3 times following infections swimming plugs are an absolute necessity for me.