How often is too often for exercise?

GKSTcoach
GKSTcoach Posts: 81 Member
I have been swimming each weekday the pool is open for laps and biking each weekend day. They may open laps a second time a day a few times a week which I want to take advantage of as there may be more room in the pool and I might actually get over a mile in between the two times. With this (almost) 42-year-old body I've been wanting to get in the exercise time now as during the school year I won't have as many opportunities to exercise, and as a kid I did practice twice a day when on the swim team, so swimming twice a day feels natural to me and outdoor swimming feels very natural and relaxes me.

How much exercise a week is too much?
I keep swimming so I stay in the routine, but aren't people supposed to take at least one day off a week? I bike so I can be diverse in exercise. Any thoughts?

Replies

• iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    I'm not an expert.. but I do believe I read somewhere that they say 30 minutes a day is good for a person. I just don't see how exercise could be bad personally. So my opinion is unless you are exercising to the point of utter exhaustion then it's never too often. Listen to your body. If you feel extra tired.. or sore.. then take a day off.. but if your body is up to it then keep moving!
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    i agree....I think your body will tell you when to take a rest day. If you are feeling strong while swimming and not tired out then I'd say go for it. I usually know without a doubt when I need to take a day off.

I can't wait to start swimming! We have a lake nearby, dh has already been 2 or 3 times (he does triathlons) but the water isn't "quite" warm enough for me just yet.
  • GKSTcoach
    GKSTcoach Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks! I had heard that too much can actually damage muscles, but I love to swim and being out in the sun during summer when I have winter blues in the blustery cold months may help to build up some good vitamins!