Need quick and easy dinner ideas?

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Hi, I am on keto for my diabetes, my daughter is not and she doesn't need to be. Anyone have any favorite quick go to dinner ideas?

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Crockpot buffalo chicken: 3 lb bag of skinless, boneless chicken breasts and 1 large bottle of Frank's Buffalo Sauce. Thats all you need. Put the chicken in the crockpot and pour half the bottle of sauce over the chicken. Cook on high for about 6 hrs or low for 8+. I drain most of the juices, shred the chicken and pour the rest of the bottle of sauce on the chicken, stir up and cook on low a couple more hours (it's already ready to eat though but gets better as it cooks together).

You can serve it on a low carb wrap with shredded cheese and jalopeno slices for some extra kick. Or I just like it on a plate with shredded cheese melted over it too.

Low carb Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Quesadillas
    I use leftover grilled chicken breast cut into small chunks or strips and leftover bacon for these and drained canned mushrooms. Just layer the chicken, bacon and mushrooms on a low carb tortilla and cover with shredded cheese and another low carb tortilla. Then you either heat in a skillet or in the microwave. Both ways work fine but the microwave leaves them a little mushy. I serve with a side of salsa and some sour cream.

Just make your daughter's wraps or quesadillas on regular tortillas if you don't want her eating low carb ones.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of things I rotate:

-burgers (no buns for me, if I feel really hungry I put an egg on top or bacon)

-Tacos (browned meat (you may want to take a portion out before seasoning out because the carbs in those packets are surprising as well as the sodium content...but I don't as long as I ate decent throughout the day) and the fixings on top of romaine lettuce for me, in shells for others (I then use some sour cream and hot sauce for dressing)

-cauliflower crust pizza (if others in your family don't like it, use regular crust and save a portion of the pan for you with cauliflower crust dough for you)

-Bacon wrapped chicken (I use to bake the remaining package of bacon with the chicken and use it to make everyone else BLTs)

-Fajitas (same concept as tacos)

I also try to just add carbs as sides to things I'm making. If I make a roast, I'll season it myself and then add mashed potatos or whatever has a side. If I'm making a casserole, if I have to brown meat I'll reserve a portion to eat plain and then use the rest for the casserole or Hamburger helper. If I make chili, I do a more low carb recipe and cook the noodles seperately for every one else. If I have beans on hand I'll add those after I take out portions for me.

So really, everything starts out the same so I don't have to make seperate meals or have extra dirty pots and pans. Just add carbs to it, or take out my portion before the carbs go in.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thank you!!! These ideas are great!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Flat Chicken Thighs or even breasts as pizza base. You can get a pasta sauce ( usually around 5 carbs if tomato based), add cream butter, meat and spaghetti squash to make some thing under 10 min. You can always have a heavy cream drink if you are behind fats.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I usually just cook what I'd normally cook and then low carb from there. Like another poster said I will take out meat before taco seasoning or i'll bake 2 chicken thighs with no bbq sauce and then add cheese or whatever to mine. I usually have a quick salad available at all times!!! It definantly helps when I have a hubby who loves Italian food. :) Good luck and also when I get a chance i'll message you some good websites!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I usually just cook what I'd normally cook and then low carb from there. Like another poster said I will take out meat before taco seasoning or i'll bake 2 chicken thighs with no bbq sauce and then add cheese or whatever to mine. I usually have a quick salad available at all times!!! It definantly helps when I have a hubby who loves Italian food. :) Good luck and also when I get a chance i'll message you some good websites!
    h thank you!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ahead of time: 5 lb bag boneless chicken breasts in an oven proof pan, spritz heavily with peanut oil, top with favorite poultry spices. Remove, cool. Chop.

Mix: about 1 cup Duke's mayo, 1 cup sour cream, dash sweetener, 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar, ~2 Tbs celery seed (NOT celery salt, did that once and it's NOT the same). (I THINK this came from Linda Genaw's cole slaw recipe)

Mix chicken with dressing....add chopped avocado, black olives, chopped onion, bread and butter pickles, pecans, slivered almonds---whatever you like. Keep in fridge for quickie meals.

ETA: you can eat alone or with salad (the dressing is fabulous on salad by itself) and your non-low carb family can eat with bread or crackers
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ahead of time: 5 lb bag boneless chicken breasts in an oven proof pan, spritz heavily with peanut oil, top with favorite poultry spices. Remove, cool. Chop.

Mix: about 1 cup Duke's mayo, 1 cup sour cream, dash sweetener, 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar, ~2 Tbs celery seed (NOT celery salt, did that once and it's NOT the same). (I THINK this came from Linda Genaw's cole slaw recipe)

Mix chicken with dressing....add chopped avocado, black olives, chopped onion, bread and butter pickles, pecans, slivered almonds---whatever you like. Keep in fridge for quickie meals.

ETA: you can eat alone or with salad (the dressing is fabulous on salad by itself) and your non-low carb family can eat with bread or crackers

Haha...forgot to say you bake it til done.
  • kamaperry
    Options

Haha...forgot to say you bake it til done.
    Ohhhhh this sounds goo,d thanks!
  • Shanita0357
    Shanita0357 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! The Bacon wrapped chicken sounds delish! I'll have to try this at home this weekend! =)