New Shoes!

Options
nicca_jb
nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
I got an actual fitting for a new pair of running shoes today, and I tell you, there's an immense difference even just walking around. I'm highly impressed. I got a half size larger than usual, much more cushioning than the last pair I bought, and a good amount of space for my toes which had formerly been pinching a bit.

Just thought I'd share that if you haven't gotten fitted, you really ought to try it!

Replies

• pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Great! Which one did you end up buying?
  • nicca_jb
    Options
    They're the Brooks Ghost 7:
    http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-ghost-7-womens-running-shoes/1201612A953.105.html#q=ghost+7

120161_953_a_ZM.jpg?sw=400

I tried on a dozen pair before settling on these. It was a fight at the end between this and a Saucony pair, but these gave more room in the toe.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! A well-fitting pair of shoes will make a big difference on your run. Nice shoes!
  • pmur
    Options
    I just got refitted for these as well. Yet to get mine but I'm excited to try!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How do you find a running store in your area? Can you go to a place like Foot Locker? I know of a place that sells specialty shoes for diabetics and such, would that be a place to start?
  • pmur
    Options
    AutumnFilly20,
    I would google for a local running shoe store. Chains like Academy etc do have running shoes but apparently the local non chain stores have more knowledgeable staff. Btw, do look into the return policy. I had to get refitted recently because the new shoes that were recommended for me didn't work. I had it for three weeks and got a full store credit and got refitted for new ones. I'm just waiting on those to get here.
  • nicca_jb
    Options
    I went to Fleet Feet, which is a local establishment:
    http://www.fleetfeetrochester.com/

However, you can usually do a Google search for "running shoe fitting" or "running gait assessment" in your area.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of the ghost 7's, they are a great shoe!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nicca_jb wrote: »
    They're the Brooks Ghost 7:
    I tried on a dozen pair before settling on these. It was a fight at the end between this and a Saucony pair, but these gave more room in the toe.

And that is why I bought 2 pairs of shoes. Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 and Saucony Guide 7. I prefer the Saucony for the Treadmill and the Mizuno for the great outdoors. Can't really explain why except that's what feels better.
    One piece of advice I received was to get a Gait Analysis every time you go to get shoes as your Running Form / technique improves your shoe requirements may change.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How do you find a running store in your area? Can you go to a place like Foot Locker? I know of a place that sells specialty shoes for diabetics and such, would that be a place to start?

No that's probably not a good choice. Pmur and nicca nailed it with a google search. Search the Internet in your local community for a running speciality store and also a Running Club. Post a question to their Web Site about local speciality shoe stores. Nothing like a Local runner to point you in the right direction and they probably have a long list of tips for local trails, training sessions and Races.

Don't forget to get some running socks. Here's a link to another thread where there is quite a list of socks.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/956611/tools-of-the-trade/p1
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just got my first pair yesterday! I ended up getting Saucony Guide 8. Walking around in the store felt pretty good, but haven't really used them yet. Getting ready to do w2d2 run in a little bit. I'm so excited! :smiley:
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome! It makes such a difference, doesn't it? I used to wear Nike Frees and when I went to my fitting and we talked, it turns out that they were giving me shin splints!

I ended up with a half size bigger than I thought I needed and also bought the Brooks Ghost 7s. I am in love with them! Haven't had an ounce of shin pain since I invested. I also went to a Fleet Feet here in Jackson, MS.