Keto rash?

toez79
toez79 Posts: 63 Member
I seem to be the person who gets all the keto side effects (I got the flu sooo bad my first week!). :) I am hoping/assuming this means I really needed to get rid of the sugar and carbs and I'm having reactions because my body was so overloaded with them for years.

So for the past 5 days or so I've had a rash on my inner thighs (mid-thigh down to knee) and armpits, what I thought was a heat rash (I'm very pale/sensitive and I'm fat so I sweat :)). I put cortizone on it and wore looser/cotton clothes and it hasn't really improved. Sometimes it's itchy and sometimes it's not. I started googling (bad idea I know) but I found information about keto rash (Prurigo Pigmentosa) and also about candida die-off. I don't really match either one exactly, but I am thinking maybe the rash is a reaction to my new way of eating? I'm under 20g net carbs, so I am practically doing the candida diet.

Has anyone else experienced this? When did it go away? Did any certain treatments help it go away? I might go to the doctor but I'm worried they'd just say "well start eating carbs. Here let me show you this food pyramid..." ;)

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Not too sure if this is relevant or not, but when I am in ketosis, I sweat a LOT more. Have no idea why. Maybe it's because I'm more active because my energy levels are through the roof? Anyway, it may possibly be just a heat rash.
  • toez79
    Hmm I haven't noticed more sweat, but I have been more active. Not exercising per se, but I've got 2 small boys so we're always running around and we're outside more.
    In general, I just want it to go away! I would think a heat rash would have gone away by now.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I thought I read somewhere that keto rash is usually around your torso. I could be wrong. Personally I've had a bit of a rash around my sides,back & belly area, just a fine petechia like rash, not itchy or not so I"m not sure if its keto related or not.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    If you originally thought it was sweat rash is it possible that it might have become infected with a yeast infection? Maybe a cream with ketoconazole or similar would help (usually sold for athletes foot)? I got a really bad urticaria/hives type rash over all my arms and legs the last time I tried to go keto and it took almost 6 weeks to go away (I was so miserable with it that I couldn't follow any kind of sensible eating plan). When it cleared I tried again and was fine. It must have just been a coincidence although I did wonder at the time if it was keto related.
  • toez79
    Thanks, I will try that! I used Cortizone for a few days and took 3x my normal Omega 3 supplement, and that seems to have helped it a lot. It's still kind of there, but way calmer. So maybe it is heat-related too, or aggravated by heat.

I know the long term solution - get to a point where my damn legs don't rub together!!!!!