I signed up for my first 5k in September

Options
Hi All,

I am NOT a runner or even a walker. I usually do the elliptical for my cardio portion. But I have gone and done it - signed myself up to run my first 5K in September. My dear husband looked at me like I was out of my freaking mind. I started my C25K program on Monday - stuck to the whole program for this first week. Did my W1D3 this morning and boy, my thighs hurt!

Just wanted to say Hi!

Replies

• RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's very exciting. Good job on signing up, and starting the C25K program! Now the key will be sticking to it, being forgiving during your setbacks, and getting your butt to the run on race day. :wink:

I did the exact same thing for my first 5K. Stay focused and you will have an awesome experience. It was one of the best things I've ever done! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Typo.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. I complete the program last winter and have now ran a 5K and later a 10K and now am training for a half marathon later this summer. To think I couldn't run more than about 200 yards at a time at this time last year.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I too signed up for a 5K during my first week of C25K. It was the best thing I could've done because it motivated me to stick with the program. No matter your time at the race, you will LOVE the experience :)
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you'll do great. I also started off with C25k in late December last yr. I didn't sit up for a race right away because I couldn't even run 1/10th of a mile completely( that was the size of the track I trained on). I completed the program, dragged my feet and then joined a running group. Signed up for a 5k in May. The race went well. Completed a 10k couple of weeks ago with my buddy from the group. We motivate each other to keep running. Both the races I did, I was nervous because I just felt I was not well trained but I did really well. I think it's a great idea to have signed up for the race. You will feel great doing it and you have ample time to finish the program and get there.
    Good Luck!
  • archuvs
    archuvs Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I figured I was going to be kind to myself and my goal in my first 5K is to complete the run! I can think about the time later!! Apparently they give you 3 hrs to complete the 5K so even the slowest runner can complete it. I am actually looking forward to it and the 5K is what is keeping me motivated to complete the C25K program. W2D1 here I come!