Get Support (Nice or Firm) Served Up Both Ways!

Options
Abobo08
Abobo08 Posts: 55 Member
Some people like encouragement to be given nicely, I like to be told firmly. Does that make sense? I tell my husband, don't tell me I've been doing so good when I tell you I feel like snacking (cause it makes me feel like I can reward myself); instead, just tell me "don't do it, you'll regret it tomorrow" or something along that line.

Anyhow, if you need encouragement nice or firm, you can get it here. :)

Replies

• Monique3677
    Options
    I hear you. I don't do hand waving well, either. Encouragement needs to be sincere and meaningful, and the reward earned. Then it means more at that point and in the future.
  • XanthePersephone
    XanthePersephone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Abob, maybe instead of rewarding yourself with a snack you can treat yourself to something fun. Change the definition of reward for yourself so that you can use all forms of encouragement to your benefit. Sometimes it can be hard for people to accommodate your preference when it is perhaps in their nature to have a more positive perspective.

I will agree it is in our best interest to understand which kind of support we respond to as an individual. That understanding can only lead to a better chance of getting what we need - externally or internally - to succeed.