Wrist wraps for bench

Options
mustgetmuscles1
mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
Whats your opinion on using wrist wraps for heavy bench press.

I have been lifting for almost three years now and never had any issue with wrist pain or soreness until the last couple of heavy lifting days. Started to feel a little pain around where my thumb meets my wrist on my left side.

I really dont want to develop any issues so was thinking about using some wraps from now on.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like them. I can't say with certainty that they make a significant difference but even if it's a placebo I'll take it in this case =)

I wear Inzer wrist wraps. Sara likes them too.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I have wrist pain from injury outside of lifting, and I will say that they most definitely help me to avoid pain.

I've been using an old set of Harbringer gloves that have wrist wraps sewn on. Not advocating for the brand per se, just allowing for ideas.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Check where the bar is sitting in your hand too to ensure your wrist is actually straight. I see SOOO many people with cocked wrists wondering why it hurts.

I don't even bench very heavy but I use them mainly to make sure that I keep my wrists straight.

Also, bone structure plays a part in it. Some people have smaller bones and tend to require wraps at lower weights than others.

These are my fav http://www.liftinglarge.com/THP-Powerlifting-Wrist-Wraps And I used to use Inzer Z's.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wear them for my heaviest sets, and I think they help make me feel mow stable. Mine are from elitefts
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will recheck wrist position also but glad to know there is not a bunch of people saying NOT to use them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Target muscle group for bench press is chest, shoulders,triceps. Not forearm flexors :tongue:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Thumb over the bar or under? Thumb under the bar might take the stress off the shoulders maybe off the wrist? Hard to bench thumb under the bar and **** your wrists. You'll end up what a face full of bar.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thumb over the bar or under? Thumb under the bar might take the stress off the shoulders maybe off the wrist? Hard to bench thumb under the bar and **** your wrists. You'll end up what a face full of bar.

I have several friends who lift thumb under because that's how their football coaches taught them.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Its been a couple weeks now since I started using a set of wraps. No soreness or pain at all. I think I will just keep using them from now on.

Thanks for the help.