running in the heat!

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
How do you guys do it? Im talking 97 degree heat with 100% humidity on some days.....
Im thinking of taking a hiatus from running until September. Its just so hot out there and its not worth it to have a heat stroke. I tried waiting until the sunset yesterday and I was still dripping-I think heat index was still around 90 when the sun set at around 8:20. Treadmills are a no go for me. So I might switch from running to swimming in the summer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning. Is that an option for you?
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The earlier the better! It's amazing how much lower the temps are - 30 degrees lower some days! I run a loop through a park that has water fountains and lots of shade.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I struggle enough in 75+ weather! I can only second the suggestion to run early if you can.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I quit running during the summer and it sucked trying to get going again. I promised myself i would not quit this year. I am already starting to get acclimated to it. I run in the evenings, about an hour before sunset. It's not much cooler, but some. I go slower if i need to and take walk breaks if I need to, but I won't quit this time. I've heard you run more by effort in the heat..so obviously slower at first, and once you get acclimated, your pace will pick back up. I say keep plugging at it. Just stay hydrated. :)

ETA: it hasn't been 97 here yet, just 95, and it's about 88-90 when i run just before sunset...but it is 100% humidity. Georgia summers, ugh!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm working on acclimating myself. I find that better hydration and a bit of gatorade go a long way. I also bought some really lightweight running tanks (actually they were in the yoga section, but it works) and capris with mesh panels at the hips and behind the knees which all help too.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 weeks to acclimate to the heat. You have to slow down, usually 30 to 60 seconds per mile slower than your everyday pace. Once acclimated, your pace will return to where it was before (or pretty close to it). You won't die. You won't dehydrate. It's not Badwater, it's just a little warm. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Trails. Get under some trees. It makes all the difference.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A few things....

If this kind of thing floats your boat, read this excellent four part series from the Science of Sport blog on heatstroke:
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/10/heat-stroke-dissected/

The cliff notes version of that is that it's very difficult to injure yourself by running in the heat. You can feel miserable and you might puke or pass out, but heat stroke is caused by misregulation of body temperature in the brain.

Then again, I don't know where you live and maybe you DO live in Death Valley. In that case, you can hurt yourself. A pretty well known endurance athlete did that a couple of years ago.
    http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/running/trail-running/Michael-Popovs-Last-Run.html

Anyhow here's what I do. When I start to feel miserable, I just stop. Stop completely, pause my watch, and sit under a tree until I feel better. I always do. Then I hit it again, and hard. I might stop three times during a six mile run if it's really miserable. Also, I bring money for a slurpee. Running with a slurpee = heaven.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I run early in the morning. Is that an option for you?

not really, I have to be in the shower by 5:15am to be ready to leave for work in time, which means I would have to run earlier and in the dark, too scary for me
  • ninav1980
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions on stopping for a break. I honestly feel like a quitter when I break during my runs. I figure, if I have done it before without a break then I can do it this time. BUT, I can see its best to change my thought process if I wanna make it through the summer. I dont want to quit cold turkey and lose what Ive gained in endurance and distance. I am gonna look into portable gatorade as well.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I run in the heat and humidity of Mississippi day in and day out. Like Carson said, it takes a few weeks to acclimate to the weather but it is very do-able. Stay with it. Take water/Gatorade with you. I am training for a 50K in weather you just described. It CAN be done. Hang in there!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Since you have an irrational fear of running in the dark, I second this.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It's been a challenge for me too here in Atlanta. Last summer (my first summer as a runner) was not very hot and it rained a lot. It got hot for only two months but those two months I was sidelined with a hip injury. So this is a new experience for me. I slow down when it's really hot and make a couple of water stops, even for a shorter run. I choose shady places to run like the local greenway or the trails, unless I'm doing a track workout where I am feeling the full force of the sun. I am hoping once I get acclimated it will get easier, and I also hope this makes me stronger for my marathon in November. I'll be used to all those hot weather long runs and the race should be in cooler weather.
  • ninav1980
    Options

safety first, not irrational fear
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I try to run in the early morning, or after dark. But really, I am transitioning to treadmill runs.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions on stopping for a break. I honestly feel like a quitter when I break during my runs. I figure, if I have done it before without a break then I can do it this time. BUT, I can see its best to change my thought process ....

Yes, this is exactly it. Changing thought processes. I stop a lot! (I'm not slow either. Faster than average.) For me, stopping and regrouping mentally, then running hard, is much better training than "perservering" through a bad run, slowly, and miserably. That's not to say that I stop and smell the roses on EVERY run. In fact, I don't on most of my runs. I just stop completely if I'm in a bad way.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My favorite solution is running early (predawn) with a headlamp. If that's not possible, try running right before sunset (with a headlamp if you won't finish before sunset). Race the sunset, try to finish before the sun sets. Run where there is shade (trails/trees). Break your runs up into maybe 1 double run per week if that works (2 short ones instead of one long one). Shorter segments are better on hot days anyway. And if you have a treadmill or elliptical to finish a run on when the heat is blazing, there's no shame in finishing there. I do that when the heat & humidity are blasting me.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions on stopping for a break. I honestly feel like a quitter when I break during my runs. I figure, if I have done it before without a break then I can do it this time. BUT, I can see its best to change my thought process ....

Yes, this is exactly it. Changing thought processes. I stop a lot! (I'm not slow either. Faster than average.) For me, stopping and regrouping mentally, then running hard, is much better training than "perservering" through a bad run, slowly, and miserably. That's not to say that I stop and smell the roses on EVERY run. In fact, I don't on most of my runs. I just stop completely if I'm in a bad way.

thanks for this! I think this will help me enjoy it so much more. Currently, it feels like torture and all I can think of is drinking a big glass of water. Come to think of it, thats one of the main reasons I dont stop. I figure if I stop and walk it will take longer to get my water, lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions on stopping for a break. I honestly feel like a quitter when I break during my runs. I figure, if I have done it before without a break then I can do it this time. BUT, I can see its best to change my thought process if I wanna make it through the summer. I dont want to quit cold turkey and lose what Ive gained in endurance and distance. I am gonna look into portable gatorade as well.

Nope. I was stopping for a water break at the end of each mile on my last four mile run. It's a battle of attrition and I WILL PREVAIL.
  • likitisplit
    Options

safety first, not irrational fear

Get some lights.