running in the heat!

Options

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Trails. Get under some trees. It makes all the difference.

Since you have an irrational fear of running in the dark, I second this.

safety first, not irrational fear

Get some lights.

not fall to the ground safety, like getting mugged safety
    unless you feel like running beside me and being my body guard :)
  • kaleidoscope79
    kaleidoscope79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure any man can possibly fully understand this- even those who do try. It doesn't matter the precautions taken. Females are at a higher risk for attacks, muggins, rapes, etc than men. It is a real danger that woman face every day. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Irrational it is not. It's not paranoia when it's true.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Get some lights.

I run in Memphis at night and early morning. If I can feel safe running at night in a city with the highest crime rate in the nation then anyone can.

ETA: If you are that worried about it though, talk to one of the Miami running clubs or groups. I am sure you will probably find someone near you to meet up with that early in the morning.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure any man can possibly fully understand this- even those who do try. It doesn't matter the precautions taken. Females are at a higher risk for attacks, muggins, rapes, etc than men. It is a real danger that woman face every day. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Irrational it is not. It's not paranoia when it's true.

We are at higher risk of attack - from guys we know. The risk difference between 5:30 am and 6:30 or 7 am is non-existant.

Never ignore your gut instinct about a situation and don't be afraid to over-react - but recognize that you have more statistical risk of being a victim of a violent crime inside your home than out for a run.

There actually was a female runner raped and killed on a local trail a few years back...by an ex-boyfriend. I feel totally safe there at dawn because there are so many other people around.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I know that there have been some serious issues on certain trail areas around here (example: three early morning assaults on the same greenway trail in 2 weeks), so I won't tell you that your fear is irrational because I don't know the situation. But, if you do want to take some steps in overcoming that and feeling better about protecting yourself, there are a lot of runner self defense courses around these days. Our local running store actually hosts one and the martial arts school I work at does another. So you have options out there if you want that extra confidence that can come from learning to protect yourself while running.

But, to beat the heat:

-consider a wet hat/ arm sleeves/etc if the humidity isn't too bad
    -be easy on yourself, set smaller goals
    -set your route so that you run into the wind on the later part of the run
    - seek shade...but use a hat and sunglasses, too
    -resolve to get use to it...it will take a little while, but you will acclimate
    -prepare for next summer throughout the year by lowering body fat percentage...it can really help keep you cooler
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I ran nearly 4 miles during the hottest part of the day today. I had a visor and sunglasses, took my time, stopped to walk a few times for a minute, and I carried a bottle of water and dumped it on my head a few times (and took sips). It felt pretty good. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I know that there have been some serious issues on certain trail areas around here (example: three early morning assaults on the same greenway trail in 2 weeks), so I won't tell you that your fear is irrational because I don't know the situation. But, if you do want to take some steps in overcoming that and feeling better about protecting yourself, there are a lot of runner self defense courses around these days. Our local running store actually hosts one and the martial arts school I work at does another. So you have options out there if you want that extra confidence that can come from learning to protect yourself while running.

But, to beat the heat:

-prepare for next summer throughout the year by lowering body fat percentage...it can really help keep you cooler

I assume that we each have an awareness of our locale and that the OP has a legitimate reason to fear property crimes in her area. There are areas that are prone to carjackings in Atlanta. I lock my car doors.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. (I think my wording was a little weird...) You know your local environment and situation!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Join a running group that does early morning runs or meet up with some local running friends and form your own running posse. If you don't have running friends, make some!! It's easy to do through facebook, etc.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I ran nearly 4 miles during the hottest part of the day today. I had a visor and sunglasses, took my time, stopped to walk a few times for a minute, and I carried a bottle of water and dumped it on my head a few times (and took sips). It felt pretty good. Good luck!

great advice

Thanks!
  • ninav1980
    Options

Get some lights.

I run in Memphis at night and early morning. If I can feel safe running at night in a city with the highest crime rate in the nation then anyone can.

ETA: If you are that worried about it though, talk to one of the Miami running clubs or groups. I am sure you will probably find someone near you to meet up with that early in the morning.

Kudos to you!!! I will choose to play it safe and run in the daylight.
  • ninav1980
    Options

But, to beat the heat:

all great suggestions

Thanks!

I think I will just power through like the trooper that I am. I think I will start using a hat and also, find a route with more shade.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Like others said, your body gets used to it. Make sure you are hydrated and you will be fine.

I have run early in the morning and you will be surprised at how many cars are on the road headed to and from work at that time of the day. It may be that I'm just in a strong military town and they all head to work super super early. But, there is lots of traffic out.

I've seen runners running with large sticks and billy club like items if that would make you feel safer.

That all said, I will go back to what I said at the beginning.....you will get used to it. When I had to run in the afternoon heat after work, I would wear a hydration pack even for short runs. That way, I could drink when I wanted to and be able to spit it into my hands to douse my body and head with it. Works great.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Like others said, your body gets used to it. Make sure you are hydrated and you will be fine.

I have run early in the morning and you will be surprised at how many cars are on the road headed to and from work at that time of the day. It may be that I'm just in a strong military town and they all head to work super super early. But, there is lots of traffic out.

I've seen runners running with large sticks and billy club like items if that would make you feel safer.

That all said, I will go back to what I said at the beginning.....you will get used to it. When I had to run in the afternoon heat after work, I would wear a hydration pack even for short runs. That way, I could drink when I wanted to and be able to spit it into my hands to douse my body and head with it. Works great.

I've thought about getting a telescoping baton in case I run into the wrong dog.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I've thought about getting a telescoping baton in case I run into the wrong dog.
    I was attacked by a huge dog and successfully defended myself and came away with nothing but a pretty badly pulled core muscle that took me off running for 3 weeks.

So, if I am running that way at all, I carry a large stick that has a natural knot at the end of it. That running route is to my parent's house and I only run that way if I am meeting my Mom for a run, she meets me part way and we keep going. I ditch the stick where I know I will pass by again and then head home.

Gives me peace of mind.

But a telescoping baton would be perfect!!

FWIW, my husband is a sheriff and we are looking into a concealed to carry permit and I have been looking at running holsters. That are some really nice ones out there. And if I was carrying concealed, he would let me run at the local (kinda secluded) shaded park without him. :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,
    Based on someone's response I understand you are from Miami. I travel very often to Miami at least 7 to 8 times in a year and I can understand from where you are coming.

My honest opinion to your situation scale back. Run with an intention to add miles. It should eventually get easy for you. I have no doubts about that and if possible up your water intake a day before. If you carry water during run make sure it has electroytes jus' water will not be as efficient.

P.S. I run on Ocean Drive all the time every time I'm in Miami b'coz that's where we live.
    Good Luck and Happy summer.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it? Im talking 97 degree heat with 100% humidity on some days.....
    Im thinking of taking a hiatus from running until September. Its just so hot out there and its not worth it to have a heat stroke. I tried waiting until the sunset yesterday and I was still dripping-I think heat index was still around 90 when the sun set at around 8:20. Treadmills are a no go for me. So I might switch from running to swimming in the summer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

So yesterday I did 11 miles in full sun with a temp of 95. It wasn't the most fun but it's manageable. Sure you're going to get very very sweaty. I lost almost 4 pounds in water and that was after drinking over 60 ounces. However, I took a frozen water bottle and stashed it on my route in a flower bed. I did a set of loops and every time I went past my water bottle had some ice cold water to drink. It was a lifesaver. Because it was stashed in the shade it didn't fully melt. If I was doing a shorter run I wouldn't have needed water at all. It's doable. And I would say my pace was off by only about 20 to 30 seconds per mile due to the heat.:drinker:
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    as far as the weather goes, I suggest just running in the weather. The only weather that will stop me from running is lightning and icy conditions. I believe that running in all weather conditions makes me a better runner.

as far as the safety issue goes, I would say that your chances of being attacked by a dog are greater than being attacked by a mugger or rapists. That said, a dog attack doesn't have the emotional trauma typically associated with being assaulted by another human being.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    How do you guys do it? Im talking 97 degree heat with 100% humidity on some days.....
    Im thinking of taking a hiatus from running until September. Its just so hot out there and its not worth it to have a heat stroke. I tried waiting until the sunset yesterday and I was still dripping-I think heat index was still around 90 when the sun set at around 8:20. Treadmills are a no go for me. So I might switch from running to swimming in the summer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

So yesterday I did 11 miles in full sun with a temp of 95. It wasn't the most fun but it's manageable. Sure you're going to get very very sweaty. I lost almost 4 pounds in water and that was after drinking over 60 ounces. However, I took a frozen water bottle and stashed it on my route in a flower bed. I did a set of loops and every time I went past my water bottle had some ice cold water to drink. It was a lifesaver. Because it was stashed in the shade it didn't fully melt. If I was doing a shorter run I wouldn't have needed water at all. It's doable. And I would say my pace was off by only about 20 to 30 seconds per mile due to the heat.:drinker:

lol, stashed frozen water bottle! love this!!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The last month we've generally been slightly below normal temps (5-10 most days) but now the heat is on the way and we're expected to be back to a bit above normal next week. (At least it's a DRY heat).