How far out did you buy your dress?

Options
Showgirlbody
Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
I'm currently about 8 1/2 months out from the wedding. I don't want to dress shop until I drop more weight but I don't want to cut it too close either. I think they can only take a dress in for about 40lbs? I was hoping to have lost 30 before buying the dress and then another 30 ish by the wedding day. But I haven't done so as I fell off track at the beginning of the year. I don't want the dress shops to mock me or warn me if I order my dress a couple sizes small, but that may be the motivation I need. I know I will do it as I get more under the gun but I'm just so not ready to do the dress thing. Some wedding sites say to order the dress 9-12 months in advance. Some say 6-9. A dress shop said to order by July which is probably when I will buckle down and do it. Just wondering how soon you ordered? Those already married, how soon did it come in? I know some come as soon as 4 months.

Replies

• Kkangel21
    Kkangel21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am having my dress made. It is a medieval style dress, so baggy, not tight. thank god!!! but... I will get to give her my final measurements before she ships it.

I have 15 to 20 lbs. to lose in 62 days!!!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I got mine at the end of November for a May 2nd wedding. It was altered 7 days before the wedding. Hope that helps?
    If you have a particular dress in mind just call and check the lead times on it. X
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You might want to start shopping now, and talking to the people at the dress shops. They can advise you better. Also, maybe look for dresses with the corset backing - as I understand those can be taken in or let out more.

Best of luck!
  • byoun16
    byoun16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought mine last week! But for a May 2015 wedding. I just happened to find a dress that I LOVED for the right price. The woman at the dress shop told me that dresses can take 4-6 months to come once ordered, and then another 3 months to alter.
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got mine in March, and my wedding is in October. It cut a little close, though -- I wasn't allowed to book alterations at my bridal store because it wouldn't be finished in time. I have to pay extra for a great tailor nearby that does rush orders.

I was pressured to get it in one weekend since my mom flew in from another coast to shop for it with me... but (especially if you're picky, like me) I think the shopping would be better spaced out over a few weeks.

Definitely start looking online and in magazines for things you're looking for. I would also try on a few different silhouettes now to see what you feel best in. Then I would probably try to buy it 7-8 months ahead of time (AKA in the next few weeks).

Good luck and have fun! :) Wear spanx!!!
  • Showgirlbody
    Options
    Yeah, I am definitely going shopping in the next few weeks. I have pictures all set. I'm not really a shopper. I hate trying on clothes. I'm usually pretty good about knowing what looks good and getting in and out fast. lol I will let them try things that they may like as sometimes the dress you like in pictures isn't the same on you. I don't reckon I will be too indecisive and need to go every weekend. I'm sure there is a dress at any of the big stores I go to. I'm just not feeling it so early before the wedding but I know it has to be done. I'm sure that getting dresses in and altered now takes more time because it is wedding season. I'm a Feb bride so the demand won't be so high but I have to take into account if time is lost over the Christmas holidays. Most people I know got theirs in 4 months so buying a year in advance when my tastes and body could change dramatically would be too much for me. I'm afraid I will like something better. Dresses can only be altered up to 40 lbs from what I've heard without totally ruining the structure of the dress. I want to lose at least 50. I might just get order one size smaller, I wouldn't chance it and go two or more just in case it doesn't happen even though I'm pretty confident I will at least lose 30 before Feb.
  • Carross1018
    Options
    I bought mine the last week of Feb and my wedding is Oct 18.
    The dress came in about 2 weeks ago... My first fitting is in August.
    I ordered one size smaller so that I had to lose some weight... When I go to my fitting I also want to have a corset back put in so that I can keep losing weight - I just need to see about the cost.

I'd suggest ordering your size or just a size done... Just since it's easier to take a dress in then let it out right?
  • CriticLite
    CriticLite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My wedding is in August 2015 and I went dress "looking" the other weekend and found one so will be going back to put a deposit on it this week. One friend of mine had to wait 10 months for her dress to come in, another one 8 months. My dress is very classic, so I'm not worried about the stye changing. Mine will have a corset back, so it will have some flexibility in size on the top depending on my size when the dress comes in.
  • natski_83
    natski_83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this also. My wedding is April 25th, 2015 and I'm going to a few bridal appointments at the end of the month - mainly to see what style I even like. I'm hoping to have it purchased (along with losing 20lbs) by the end of October. Will be interesting to see what the bridal shops say about my timeline...
  • FutureMrs0515
    FutureMrs0515 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I got my dress in January and I'm not getting married until May 2015!

A few reasons - I don't like dresses and I thought I would have a hard time find one; there was a dress I knew I had to try on before I could decide.

There was this one dress I loved online and I knew I needed to try it on before I could pick a dress. So I tried it on and loved it (I also tried on 3 other dresses). So I bought it that first day in January. I was worried that if I waited a style I liked would get discontinued. Bridal seasons change so rapidly. People were worried I would change my mind. I haven't and in all the time since then, nothing has compared to my dress.

Keep in mind it also sometimes takes 6 months for dresses to come in, plus you need time for alternations!

Go when you want! No timeline necessary!
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    im getting married august 2015 havent got my dress yet waiting till i lost most of the weight i give myself till may 2015
  • Showgirlbody
    Options
    That may not be enough time. Bridal salons suggest at least 7-9 months out. 6 months they can do it but on a rush, otherwise you can only buy off the rack or sample sizes. I had to break down and get mine at the end of July which was exactly 7 months out. I hadn't lost weight but I still found a dress that looks good at my current size and hopefully will look even better if I can get some weight off!
  • trijojo_84
    Options
    Have mine since March for a May 2015 wedding. Possibly a bit too early, but my dress wasn't very expensive (not really a traditional dress either, it's an ivory lace tea-length 50s reproduction dress) so it won't kill me if I end up having to just buy another one in a smaller size.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress a little over a year before my wedding date (September 2013 for November 2014 wedding).
  • killertofu22
    killertofu22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought my wedding dress and my wedding isn't until July 2015. Honestly, what I did was I bought it where it was a little tight so that I have some wiggle room to lose some weight. It fits fine now, but it would fit even better if I lost maybe 20lbs. I need to lose about 50lbs all together, but honestly, don't put yourself in a situation where you're starving yourself before the wedding just to drop weight. It'll add more stress. And when I went to David's Bridal, they put you in a corset type undergarment, which is super flattering. ;]
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought my wedding dress and my wedding isn't until July 2015. Honestly, what I did was I bought it where it was a little tight so that I have some wiggle room to lose some weight. It fits fine now, but it would fit even better if I lost maybe 20lbs. I need to lose about 50lbs all together, but honestly, don't put yourself in a situation where you're starving yourself before the wedding just to drop weight. It'll add more stress. And when I went to David's Bridal, they put you in a corset type undergarment, which is super flattering. ;]

I'm going to be going to David's Bridal in Jan/Feb (wedding in Oct 2015) and I'm so hoping/looking for a corset type dress. :smiley:

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I just bought my dress. 6 months till the wedding :)
  • bethsapphire
    bethsapphire Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive already got my dress (was an early wedding present from my aunt and uncle) just need to get it adjusted and shortened :)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Reviving this!

My wedding is next October (2016). I was going to wait until the fall to buy, but I've found a few dresses I like and will likely make the decision to get one of those. I can totally get into an 8 now, but will probably be able to fit into a 6 in a few months.

Do I wait and be sure I can get into the 6 (knowing there wil still be 15-20 vanity pounds after the 10 "healthy" ones) or get the 8 knowing it's going to have to be taken in?

I also want to have straps added (the top two are both strapless sweethearts), and may want to have some ruffled added so the sweetheart isn't all OH HI BOOBIES! so there will be some "extra" time needed for alterations, besides just making it fit.

I just don't want to get stuck with things coming close to the wire and/or the dresses I like being out of stock. I know there will ALWAYS be strapless sweethearts, but these both have patterns on the outer lace layers that I think are very "me" or something. Ha! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm considering a straight renfaire dress. I know it can be done in a few weeks.
    I've ordered a few bodices for the renaissance faire to see if I like them and if the styles work for my body type