How far out did you buy your dress?

Options
2»

Replies

• ketowerdefense
    ketowerdefense Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My wedding is in September 2016, and I've made my Kleinfeld and other boutique appointments for early December. By then I hope to have lost the remaining 15 healthy pounds I need to lose, and can tell them I plan to lose another 10 vanity pounds before the wedding, and let them order a size accordingly.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    My MOH and I are doing another round of dress shopping on Saturday with the expectation that I'll be making a purchase! We've already narrowed it down to a Top 5 (or so). Wedding is the end of October 2016, but I have a VERY busy fall with a lot of work travel and grad school wrapping up, so I'm trying to get this done before all that stress. :)
  • ketowerdefense
    Options
    @CountessKitteh Woo! What are your top 5 / who are your top designers?

My mom's itching to get started, so I made some first round appointments at the end of the month.
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    @CountessKitteh Woo! What are your top 5 / who are your top designers?

My mom's itching to get started, so I made some first round appointments at the end of the month.

I'm way too cheap to think actual designer, so they're all just from DB. Two are empire waist (currently strapless sweetheart, but I'd definitely need to add straps) one of which I've tried on, so it's the current dress to beat, and the other three are A-line with a more "natural" waist. Two of those are also strapless (one straight, one sweetheart), but one is a halter. The sweetheart one has POLKA DOTS so I'm very excited to try that on.

The last time I went the woman insisted on putting me in a trumpet (I said no mermaid-y stuff) and it was THE WORST. I looked absolutely miserable in all the pictures my mom took. Ha!
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    Update: Polka dot dress was way too awesome to pass up! I have purchased my wedding dress!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_strapless-polka-dot-mesh-ball-gown-wg3764

It's almost 14 months out, but the 8 fit beautifully (fully zipped and clasped without having to suck anything in), so I ordered that. The consultant said they can size down up to 2 sizes so even if I lose some more weight, no real cause for concern. Especially since I'm pretty sure my ribs wouldn't allow for more than another size down. Ha.
  • ketowerdefense
    Options
    That looks amazing! And holy crap - size 8!

Congrats on finding your dress!
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    That looks amazing! And holy crap - size 8!

Congrats on finding your dress!

Thank you! I was very excited about the 8 already fitting, since the one review was up TWO sizes from her every day. That means I'm probably closer to a 4 than I realize! Which is a silly thing to focus on, but it made me feel good about all my hard work. :)
  • ketowerdefense
    Options
    That's amazing. And bridal sizing is so cruel. I wear a street size 10 right now, and I anticipated need to order a 14 for a MOH dress a few months ago. The stupid sales associate recommended an 18 (!!!!!!!) and I said, no way, order the 16. I had to sign a form saying I was ordering a non-recommended size or some other such nonsense. It came in a few weeks ago, and even though I had lost probably only 5-7 pounds since the initial appointment, I had like, bunches and bunches of loose fabric everywhere. I could have put it on without undoing the zipper! Not pleased that I had to pay to have it taken in at least another two sizes.
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    That's amazing. And bridal sizing is so cruel. I wear a street size 10 right now, and I anticipated need to order a 14 for a MOH dress a few months ago. The stupid sales associate recommended an 18 (!!!!!!!) and I said, no way, order the 16. I had to sign a form saying I was ordering a non-recommended size or some other such nonsense. It came in a few weeks ago, and even though I had lost probably only 5-7 pounds since the initial appointment, I had like, bunches and bunches of loose fabric everywhere. I could have put it on without undoing the zipper! Not pleased that I had to pay to have it taken in at least another two sizes.

This is exactly why bridal sizing needs to line up more closely with street sizes. Not that every pair of size 10 jeans is the same size, but at least you know you'd only have to go to an 8 or a 12, depending. Not 2+ sizes up (always up)!

I'm in a wedding in April so I can't WAIT to see how that sizing works out. :|
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i believe the sizes are based off the old sizes, at least that's what i've noticed from when i used to sew. what we wear now are vanity sizes.
  • ketowerdefense
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i believe the sizes are based off the old sizes, at least that's what i've noticed from when i used to sew. what we wear now are vanity sizes.

I've heard that as well - and I really would have been fine with their ordering a 14 (even though that number pains me!) It's that they were trying to push an 18, and we settled on a 16, and I needed to pay a huge amount to get alterations done. If I had ordered the 14 that I anticipated in the first place, I'd have saved some cash!
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

I'm all for adopting the men's method and using measurements. That would make pants shopping so much easier! At least in the waist. Everything is still 4 inches too long on me. ;)
  • erin1148
    erin1148 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wedding is the end of May 2016 and I just purchased mine this past weekend, so about 8 months out. The bridal shop said I was cutting it REAL close!
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    Just for general knowledge, I ordered my dress on September 5th. It came in on the 19th. (This is for David' Bridal).

They also set my first alterations appointment for 7 weeks before my wedding. I'm hoping to only need two (one to make adjustments and one to verify them!), but I think an emergency third could be squished in that time frame, so I'm comfortable with it.

Exactly 400 days until my wedding!
  • ketowerdefense
    Options
    Will be getting measured and placing my deposit on November 7, which is just over 10 months from the day. For my custom dress, they recommended 8 months for production, and then 2 months for alterations. I also don't live in the same city as the boutique I'll be purchasing from, so it's accounting for Saturday-only appointments.