sorting through a ton of info

Options
creay2012
creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
I have been doing some research on meds, foods etc. I am currently on synthroid and have been for about 3.5 yrs after my tt. I do have some questions:

Has anyone had any success with NDT (natural dissected thyroid)?

I have been reading about adrenal fatigue -- anyone have any insight on this?

I am starting to think I am gluten intolerant but at my last endo apt he stated unless you have celiac don't go off gluten....however I feel less bloated when I don't eat gluten. Any advice is there a test to check intolerance?

has anyone had any success on losing weight. I feel like all I do is gain I might lose 2lbs in a week but the next wk Im back up again

Replies

• JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    has anyone had any success on losing weight. I feel like all I do is gain I might lose 2lbs in a week but the next wk Im back up again

I have lost about 35 lbs in the last year, most of it over 6 months last year. It took a lot of work to find what worked for me.

If not eating gluten makes you feel better I don't know why you couldn't go gluten free or cut back on it at least.

What are you concerned of with adrenal fatigue? I researched it a bit once. I know I go through boughts of extreme fatigue each month. It's caused from my thyroid TSH levels being kept lower then for a normal person and ties into other hormones. It's only a couple days and I deal with it. Working out consistently has helped tremendously.
  • bernernewf
    bernernewf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I lost my thyroid last April due to cancer. I take a combo of synthroid, 75 mg, plus 95 mg of NDT (westhroid p, made by naturethroid. We work to keep my free t3 and free t4 optimal. Optimal for me is not having heart rate issues while exercising. For a while I was way overmedicated and had a high heart rate while working out.

I do have the saliva cortisol test but have yet to do it. Every time I look at the symptoms I really don't have any so at this time don't want to worry about it.

As far as meds, my combo works for me. I wake up fine, I crossfit, walk my dogs, clean house, manage kids, etc, plus I fall asleep fine. My weight stays stable, I lose occasionally. After surgery I lost 15 lbs quickly, I think that was from finally being on the thyroid hormones that my body needed for years. My mood is fine and I don't lose hair. I really have no issues.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Gluten is so prevalent that I imagine just reducing would be enough. If you feel better by reducing the amount of gluten in your diet then I think you've found your dietary sweet spot. And no, I haven't research anything since my TT two years ago because, like JayMri said, my meds are regulated to reduce the reoccurance of cancer. Since we found the right dose and I started taking my Levo properly (I wasn't for a while), I've felt great. I understand the frustration with slow weight loss, but please keep in mind that the scale isn't even half the picture. It's the scale, your measurements, and how you feel. I've also learned that a two pound swing in either direction actually doesn't mean anything. I think people would just call that maintaining. And if a reduced gluten diet helps reduce bloating, then the water-weight swings should also lessen.
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some research on meds, foods etc. I am currently on synthroid and have been for about 3.5 yrs after my tt. I do have some questions:

I am starting to think I am gluten intolerant but at my last endo apt he stated unless you have celiac don't go off gluten....however I feel less bloated when I don't eat gluten. Any advice is there a test to check intolerance?

I'm with you, I feel so much better without it. I'm having a TON of fluid retention since the surgery, which has yet to be figured out. The oncologist who runs the Thyroid Cancer Awareness page on FaceBook is also a thyroid cancer survivor and she said a "lower carb-based higher protein diet works better for people who have had a TT. I feel better when I stay away from the processed foods. I don't like fad diets like "clean eating, Paleo, Atkins, etc" but I do feel less sluggish and more functional but eliminating some of the crap.
  • creay2012
    Options
    thank you everyone for responding. I just came back from a new primary dr visit. I have been searching for one that will work with me and my other dr's I have to say I like her so far at least she is willing to run labs and tests. She is going to check for celiac and a full blood workup. She did state that my weight is now a huge issue since I have been gaining steadily over the last yr. (I almost died when I saw the scale today -- I am at my heaviest I have ever been -- its scary) I am now borderline diabetic which is not good at all and am hoping that I can get this weight under control. So starting right now I am tracking my food and weighing measuring and plan on walking everyday a little more each day. Baby steps as my friend stated. I am just beyond frustrated. I have read so much info and each dr tells you something different. I asked about inflammatory foods and she said moderation is key along with caloric intake/output.

Here is hoping this starts to take a turn in the right direction
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Thyroid Cancer Awareness on FB is run by an oncologist who also had thyroid cancer. She doesnt post a lot, but does answer private messages. Also Thyca.org has a log of info as well.
  • creay2012
    Options
    Thanks everyone I did join the thyroid awareness page on fb. I just had my labs done for my apt next week so hoping to see some more improvement.