When you only have 5 Lbs. to lose & Paleo

Options
2»

Replies

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and do cardio and LIGHT weights a few times a week.. but i stopped for the past month because it was making me sooooo hungry.. I am going to get back to it soon once i am at goal weight .. my best friend lost a TON of weight by lifting weights.. it took like 2 months but it kicked in ... i just hate that feeling of being so hungry and i am so close to my goal .... i mean today i was 130.2 and everything in my closet fit me perfectly.. so like i dont want to ruin it by having carb cravings from to much gym...
    Girl...do you know what forum you are in here?!? LOL! I hope that doesn't sound mean. You stopped working out because it made you hungry? Listen to Yakima and dragon, and please please please go read stacis story I read it every.time.I.gain.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    but like i agree with everything you are saying.. i am just stating the truth as to my situation and why i stopped.. since its a forum . no point in lying about it right? totally stupid.. i know..

i left for a month only to think and was tired of being so hungry (in my head) so i had to regroup and figure it out.. with paleo i can eat MORE calories so i think i will get back now . i take spin 3 times a week,then do light weights and sometimes me and my friends take pilates (none of it is very hardcore).. just like 2 hours at gym but like light..

last year i tried to spin with a belt for 1.5 hours a day.. so i was burning like 750 calories a day according to the MY ZONE BELT- so i ate an extra 750 calories.. and after 3 months i gained 15 lbs.. TOTALLY freaked out and stopped using the belt................. at my age i dont think those calorie counters work and definantly not with cardio? i also stopped the daily 1 hour spin.. that was all crazy.. and i was probobly going to hurt my knees and feet. so i stopped insane workouts...went back to normal and calorie restriction and lost the 15 lbs. right away...

My normal weight is 150/60 since highschool.. unless i eat VLCD so i would still say i have done a great job maintaining the 135 zone.. i have just wanted to break it for years.. and eat like a normal person.

my goal is to be able to eat 1500 calories in healthy food, with no stomah issues and not GAIN weight.. at this point and age, i cant be to thin you know.. or i just look old..

PALEO has changed my life..
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I go to the gym and do cardio and LIGHT weights a few times a week.. but i stopped for the past month because it was making me sooooo hungry.. I am going to get back to it soon once i am at goal weight .. my best friend lost a TON of weight by lifting weights.. it took like 2 months but it kicked in ... i just hate that feeling of being so hungry and i am so close to my goal .... i mean today i was 130.2 and everything in my closet fit me perfectly.. so like i dont want to ruin it by having carb cravings from to much gym...

Omg. Please OP, research the Paleo lifestyle a bit more. It is about HEALTH. A strong person is a healthier person. Avoiding doing something that is healthy because it makes you hungrier is WRONG. So, if all of your current weight loss is muscle, do you think that's a good thing? Just because the number on the scale is smaller?

You will NOT bulk up from heavy weights. You will get a SMALLER body, but the scale won't give you a smaller number. However you will be able to eat more, feel better, maintain a healthy metabolism (cuz what you are doing now will do the opposite).

OK, I'm shutting up now. :sad:

PS: I thought I was talking to someone 18, and I was thinking my experience might be helpful. Nope. According to your profile you are around my age. I'm starting to think that you can't possibly be for real. 130 pounds is just so huge... not. Are you trolling? If so, please stop. If not, please forgive me- but please go to Recommended Reading and check out some of those publications; they will help you greatly.

74 LBS. Lost... wow... seriously wow HATS off you to..... how long have you been maintaining this loss.. because i know thats the hard part...
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    18.. i wish. i am 45 :) and i have been able to maintain my weight for a very long time.. the gym makes me super hungry so since i have been on this trip of trying to lose the last 5 lbs. for like 1 million years, i thought i would just stop for a minute and regroup.

i heard about paleo from my cousins who crossfit and so i tried it.. ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!! i cant belive i broke through the 133/135 thing... last year i spun for 2 hours a day and gained 10 lbs.. lol... the gym 1000% makes me too hungry..

anyway.. 18 huh.. i have 2 teenager and my 22 year wedding anniversary comeing up.. and i am making everyone gluten and organic here.. so its been an amazing 10 days i must say..

will continue...

You remind me of some of the testimonials I've read on Robb Wolf's and Mark Sisson's sites. People working out like crazy, and dieting (high carb, low fat), and either gaining weight or barely able to maintain. Mark Sisson was a long-distance runner, I think, but he totally changed his approach to exercise and it sounds like he's much happier and healthier now.

If your body is carb-adapted (i.e. burning carbs for energy) then of course the gym is going to make you super hungry! (When I was carb-adapted, even though I wasn't working out at a gym, I had to eat every couple of hours or my blood sugar would crash and I'd get woozy.) If your body is fat-adapted (which I think happens within a couple weeks to a month of low-carb, high fat eating) then the gym is not going to make you as hungry. At least I think it works that way. I don't have a gym membership so have been trying to do "body gym" exercises or whatever you call them. I have to be careful because of arthritis. (For example, my 2.5 mile walk today was about a mile too far, at this point in my journey.) I would love to do squats but my knees are still a little too stiff to do them comfortably.

But I got distracted. What I meant to say is that I don't get hungry after a long walk or swim like I used to.

The "starvation mode" for metabolism is so real! I lost 20 lbs eating about 1300 calories a day, and then MFP cut me down to 1200 calories, and I stopped losing. I had to jury-rig my macros to set my calories at 1500 a day, and then I started losing again. One of my teens has a lot of food allergies and problems with eating (she's not anorexic; she wants to eat but her appetite is broken and has trouble eating without feeling nauseated), and probably averages 800 calories on a good day, and yet she stays at around 100 lbs at 5'4".
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I cant wait to REDO my cholesterol in 3 months.. since i have been on the PALEO/LOW carb thing for only a month now..
    Cholesterol is at 237 ( LDL 151) (HDL 74) (TRI 60).. I hope the DOC does not put me on meds because i want a chance to PROVE the low carb/paleo is the way to go.... its just not fair because I JUST STARTED..

anyway.. even without PALEO.. i cant get why i have anything HIGH. i am not overweight, i dont overeat and i dont eat junk.. i just have switched in the past month from LOW CALORIE high CARB to LOW CARB higher fat and not even 1 ounce of BARS or anything.....
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to REDO my cholesterol in 3 months.. since i have been on the PALEO/LOW carb thing for only a month now..
    Cholesterol is at 237 ( LDL 151) (HDL 74) (TRI 60).. I hope the DOC does not put me on meds because i want a chance to PROVE the low carb/paleo is the way to go.... its just not fair because I JUST STARTED..

anyway.. even without PALEO.. i cant get why i have anything HIGH. i am not overweight, i dont overeat and i dont eat junk.. i just have switched in the past month from LOW CALORIE high CARB to LOW CARB higher fat and not even 1 ounce of BARS or anything.....

You don't have to "hope" the doctor doesn't put you on meds. YOU have the right to say "no". Also, there is no need to lower your cholesterol and this lifestyle may not lower your total cholesterol. It doesn't need to because that is no determinant of ideal health at all.

PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH ON CHOLESTEROL. One good resource is The Great Cholesterol Myth by Dr. Bowden and Dr. Sinatra. I don't agree with all of their food recommendations but they offer great information on how the cholesterol thing got so WRONG and why it persists.

You do not have to prove anything to your doctor. You do not have to please your doctor. You do not have to obey your doctor. You have every right to refuse a treatment. You have every right to get a new doctor.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You don't have to "hope" the doctor doesn't put you on meds. YOU have the right to say "no". Also, there is no need to lower your cholesterol and this lifestyle may not lower your total cholesterol. It doesn't need to because that is no determinant of ideal health at all.

PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH ON CHOLESTEROL. One good resource is The Great Cholesterol Myth by Dr. Bowden and Dr. Sinatra. I don't agree with all of their food recommendations but they offer great information on how the cholesterol thing got so WRONG and why it persists.

You do not have to prove anything to your doctor. You do not have to please your doctor. You do not have to obey your doctor. You have every right to refuse a treatment. You have every right to get a new doctor.

This.

Also:

- The LDL number is almost always a calculation, not your actual number. The formula is known to be way off for people with triglycerides under 100. This means that number may not even be accurate.

- Total cholesterol and LDL on their own don't mean anything. The single numbers that matter for disease risk are HDL and triglycerides. Both of yours are good. The other big indicator number is HDL/Trig ratio, and since the "optimal" is anything less than 2 and you're is nearly 1, you're fine.

- The amount of carbs (particularly those that break down to sugar) in your diet affects your LDL particle size. This is hugely important, because carbs decrease their size, while fats increase them. Here's the thing, though -- bigger particles are a good thing. The effect, though, is that is can drive up the LDL number. It really doesn't matter in this context, but under the CW ideas of a high-carb diet, it is seen as a bad thing. If your doctor is showing any kind of concern, then demand an LDL-P test. This directly measures your LDL and determines the particle size. If s/he won't, or s/he still wants to put you on meds, then fire your doctor and get a new one.

I recommend reading Dr. Peter Attia's series on cholesterol and its purpose in the body (and the whole blog, really, it's a great read in general) -- http://eatingacademy.com/category/cholesterol-2
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    Totally Agree... !!! no way am i just taking DRUGS for no reason.. i am so against that..