48 from upstate NY and starting Stage 1 this summer

Options
alpine_dog
alpine_dog Posts: 34 Member
Hi - I've been doing cardio most if my life (triathlete in my 20's, 30's) and now at age 48, hitting menopause, I really need to preserve muscle and bone mass. I now do a lot of fast walking, gardening, and cycling here in upstate NY.

I read NROLFW in 2011 and started the first 4 workouts then, but it was too soon after a knee injury and I promptly re-injured my knee, so stopped. Since joining MFP a few months ago and seeing so many good results from ladies who lift, it has renewed my interest as I need to lose about 30 lbs.

I'm reading a lot more about form and warm-ups so I don't get injured. I've also been doing some very basic kettlebell workouts at home with a friend who is a certified RKC instructor, but I want to limit that to 1 time per week while I get into this program. My plan is as follows:

Lifting: Tues and Thurs.
Kettlebells: Saturday
Days in between: low intensity hill walking or cycling

I'm doing workout 1B1 later today. Did 1A1 on Tuesday, it went well. I joined a new gym where the weight room is a little less crowded and it was nice. Although I felt self-concious loading up the bar at the squat rack, one of the young guys brought me a missing weight, gave me a thumbs up and and told me to have a great workout as he left, that made me feel much better and broke the ice!

So, just wanted to say hello. Already read some great tips here in this discussion group, thanks.

Replies

• sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Nice to see someone here from NYS. I'm in stage 3 of the program, 50 yo, post menopausal, love the program. There's a few of us here looking at similar goals. Feel free to add ^me. :)
  • alpine_dog
    alpine_dog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great to know there are others in my age group doing well with this, thank you!