Not gaining weight

Options
mommyrunning
mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
Good morning ladies. Want opinions on pregnancy weight. I am 9 weeks and started off about 13 lbs. overweight. I have stayed essentially the same weight for over a month now. At one point I went up 1lb but am back to my original starting weight. With my first 2 pregnancies I gained 40-50lbs so not gaining is a little new to me. I am logging every day and trying to be more careful because I want to be as healthy and fit as possible but I am not dieting and allow myself to eat whatever sounds good sometimes. I have my goals set to gain 1/2lb per week and have been adjusting another 200 calories for pregnancy and nursing (only at night). Despite that there are days when I go over my calories yet I am not gaining. My food diary is open. The last week I have been more nauseous so I have been eating whatever I can stomach and not exercising (not actual throwing up though). Should I be concerned? My last checkup was 2 weeks ago and baby was good.

May 16 149.2 lbs.
June 1 150 lbs.
June 19 149.2 lbs.

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    This happened with me as well... middle of the second trimester, bam! It started packing on (without any major diet changes) but it stayed pretty steady after that and I netted around a 20lb gain. I had a 9 1/2 lb baby, so he was definitely getting enough.

I was nursing a toddler at night and running 3-4x week through the first trimester, and I've heard that your BMR goes up in pregnancy as well... so there are certainly reasons that I couldn't find the sweet spot and gain exactly what the chart said. But you know, Thanksgiving and Christmas came along and I managed to put on a few lbs ...
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm a second trimester gainer too. I gained maybe 5lbs in the first trimester and 5-7lbs in my third trimester, the rest of my 50lb weight gain was in the second trimester. At 9 weeks I don't think you're expected to gain a ton of weight.
  • newmama_lols
    Options
    I was about 10 lbs overweight before I got pregnant. I did not gain anything my entire first trimester, so you should not be worried!

Although my doctor only wanted me to gain 25 lbs, I ended up gaining about 35 by the end of the pregnancy. That is still the "normal" pregnancy weight gain, but I wanted to be under that because I started off overweight. That said, I'm glad I didn't gain more!

Don't forget that the baby gains most of her/his weight in the last trimester, so you will go up the most in that one.
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worr too much about it, the normal weight gain in the first trimester is 1 - 5 lbs so you sound like you are actually on track .
    Remember the first trimester you are not really "Eating for two"the fetus is only about the size of a grape so your calorie consumption should be around the same as your pre-pregnancy maintenance calories and bump up only about 200- 300 calores more when you hit the second trimester.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I started off by adjusting my calories to add 200 over maintenance but was not gaining and even saw a loss one week so I figured my body was burning that off. (I was also eating back exercise calories). I am also nursing at night still so I figured I need to adjust a little more for that which is what led me to change to gain 1/2 lb instead of maintenance. I expected after that change 2 weeks ago I would see at least a small gain but haven't. I know some women lose weight in the first trimester but most of the cases I've heard were due to morning sickness. I have been quite nauseous but haven't thrown up at all.

I am slightly relieved to not gain weight but I am also a worrier so I started wondering how I could not be gaining after adding 400-600 calories a day? I have an appointment in 1 week so I will definitely bring it up. Just wanted to hear from other ladies. So I am relieved that others think it's not a big deal.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    First baby I lost 6 lbs in the first tri and only ended up gaining that back by 20 weeks. They told me they weren't worried and that I'd start gaining around week 20. Week 20-25 I gained 8 lbs! They were right. I gained 23 lbs above my prepregnancy weight (so 23 from weeks 20-41). If you're worried always bring it up, but I don't see it as a big deal.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like this post...it hits close to home! Pre-pregnancy I was 150lbs, technically overweight for 5'5" and I was actively trying to get down to 135lbs. Pregnancy hit and I went down to 145lbs. Today is my first day of 2nd trimester and I am 146lbs. I have been a little concerned because my pregnancy weight tracker app shows me under for goal weight, but since I was not a skinny Minnie to began with I think it's ok. Really surprised though because I went from working out 5-6x a week to just 1-3x a week now (mostly walking anyways) and I have been eating foods I normally wouldn't ever eat! Never in my life did I think I'd be worried about GAINING weight but I'm also happy I'm not packing on a ridiculous amount of pounds! I have not been going to town on junk food though just because I'm pregnant, also persistent and still existing nausea have left me with a small appetite...
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    I like this post...it hits close to home! Pre-pregnancy I was 150lbs, technically overweight for 5'5" and I was actively trying to get down to 135lbs. Pregnancy hit and I went down to 145lbs. Today is my first day of 2nd trimester and I am 146lbs. I have been a little concerned because my pregnancy weight tracker app shows me under for goal weight, but since I was not a skinny Minnie to began with I think it's ok. Really surprised though because I went from working out 5-6x a week to just 1-3x a week now (mostly walking anyways) and I have been eating foods I normally wouldn't ever eat! Never in my life did I think I'd be worried about GAINING weight but I'm also happy I'm not packing on a ridiculous amount of pounds! I have not been going to town on junk food though just because I'm pregnant, also persistent and still existing nausea have left me with a small appetite...

I too never thought I'd have to worry about gaining weight. My tracker also says I am below the ideal weight range. I have an appt on Thursday and plan to bring it up then. From my research it seems ok but not gaining is just so new to me.
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Saw my Nurse Midwife today and she said it's okay to not gain weight in the first trimester and that I should not "try" to gain weight but of course that it is okay to gain a little in the first trimester. She said a good goal is 10 in second trimester and 15 in the 3rd but know that a lot of women go over that.