Doing induction as you get older

Options
VaporDeb
VaporDeb Posts: 12 Member
I have done Atkins Induction 4 times over the past 18 years (not including this time). I've always had great success!

I was stalled for the past 4 days and am on day 9 now. So I finally lost another pound this morning. YAY!!!

I'm telling all of you the following for your future reference...when you get older if you do Atkins again you will know that these things seem to matter or at least have for me. As I get older I have to tweak Atkins Induction. Last time I did it at age 38 (age is I believe the real factor) I had to replace mayo with sour cream (major calorie reduction) for tuna/egg/chicken salads & stopped eating cruciferous vegetables (which includes from what I like: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage & radishes of any sort) because they can mess with liver enzymes which can trick your body out of ketosis. I learned this last go-round on Atkins Forum and the people who helped me pointed this out. I did the sour cream this time but ate broccoli (because I love it). So...I stopped the broccoli over the past 2 days and cut more carbs than usual. So here I am...1 lb lighter. Artificial sweetener also seemed to mess with my brain/body on induction last time so I cut that out last time and this time also, other than the protein shake I was doing. I cut the shake out for the past 2 days. All is good now, I hope!

If you have difficulty loosing or stalling and can't figure out why, I do recommend the Atkins Forum. I have not gotten on this go-round so far but there are people on there constantly (responding quickly) who are so very knowledgeable about Atkins and ketosis including nurses and other health care professionals, who helped me tremendously last time.

Happy weekend and best wishes on getting closer to your goals!!!

Replies

• timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, I am 51 years old now, and when I do induction, I have to have under 20 grams per day and this is actual grams, not net carbs, and I have to cut out all vegies, and go almost straight meats, and go lower on the cheeses to get it to move, when my son who is age 16 does atkins weight flys off of him, and he can have all the fun low carb foods,
    age can really bite,, but at least you have figured out what works
  • VaporDeb
    Options
    So good to know I'm not the only one who experienced this!!!! On the Atkins forum no one would tell me it was age. I just knew it was because of how different it was doing it when I was older.

Do you find that calories matter for you? Do you do a lot of fat or do you watch it? Congrats on all of your weight loss!!! That's awesome!!

Thanks so much for your input!!! I'd love to know what else you focus on that works for you, if not stated in the post before. It says I'm 41 but very close to 42. I would assume female hormones at this age doesn't help me either.

Have a fabulous weekend!!!
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have had a look at the Atkins Forum:

These are the hits:

community.atkins.com

www.atkins.com/Community.aspx

www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com

au.atkins.com/community/forums

www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/forum.php

www.everythingatkins.net/phpBB3/index.php

www.atkinsforum.info/forum

and that's just the first page of search results.

The one I finally came to which seems to be the most help is:

Is this the Atkins Forum you refer too?
  • VaporDeb
    Options
    I have had a look at the Atkins Forum:

The one I finally came to which seems to be the most help is:

Is this the Atkins Forum you refer too?

Yes. That is the one. Sorry for not being more specific. This is the link directly to the forum home: http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/forum.php

Great job on the weight loss!!! Congrats!!!
  • tami6543
    tami6543 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for telling me this. I'm over 50 & all the usual induction rules are not working for me anymore.

I'm constantly in ketosis but only lost 2 lbs in 6 weeks.

Meanwhile my 28 yr old daughter lost 30 lbs in a month & a half.
  • VaporDeb
    Options
    I'm constantly in ketosis also but other things seem to matter when you age.

I'm finding that all that I wrote at the start of this thread is working and now I really have to watch my calories (this time around). Not like when I'm not doing Atkins...but 1400-1500 seems to be a good number for me to keep moving the scale a little bit. If I go higher the scale stops moving or even goes up. I've also cut my carbs hoping that will help. I think it has. It's all good! I can do this!!! WE can do this!!!

Everyone, keep up the good work!!!
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been in ketosis for about four months solid. My net carbs are VERY low, like 15 to 17 a day. I do think this is key for those of us who are older. I also am only eating 1200 calories a day and the weight has just melted off.