Milk thistle

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Anyone supplementing with milk thistle?

Was recommended at an appointment I had but I haven't been able to find much information about it online. The doctor mentioned it helps cleanse the liver and will in turn help convert T4 into T3.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    What kind of "doctor"?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can't find any information about milk thistle & thyroid because it's not true.

Please, get your information from reputable sources:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/thyroiddiseases.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Thyroid-under-active/Pages/Introduction.aspx

According to your ticker, you want to lose 40 lbs. Set your goal to 1 lb. per week, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • queensandria
    Options
    The only connections (and they are shallow at best) that i can find between the two is the effects of high estrogen and liver function on the thyroid hormones. Milk thistle is said to "mimic the effects of estrogen" so in theory, i would assume taking milk thistle would inhibit hormone receptors from converting thyroid hormones? I dont think thats a positive personally xD the liver however plays a role in hormone conversion so if your liver is causing an issue its posssssible that milk thistle helps the liver.

Webmd has an article on milk thistle and laurel acupuncture has an article on estrogen and thyroid function. Loose correlations at best and i cant find any science to back up the data either so id be skeptical. Bright side is that milk thistle is a safe supplement for the most part so if you want to follow the advice it may have positive effects on liver function which might help with thyroid hormone conversion? Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My thyroid issues are connected to my Salicylate Sensitivity and I can't touch it. Milk thistle brought back all my SS symptoms with a vengeance normal foods, many fruit and veg, and toothpaste among other things can do it too. SS is a problem of the modern world where we are bombarded with toxins. I would tread carefully and find a second opinion.
  • queensandria
    Options
    My thyroid issues are connected to my Salicylate Sensitivity and I can't touch it. Milk thistle brought back all my SS symptoms with a vengeance normal foods, many fruit and veg, and toothpaste among other things can do it too. SS is a problem of the modern world where we are bombarded with toxins. I would tread carefully and find a second opinion.

^^I'd listen to this one xD skepticism is healthier than supposition and experience trumps all! Ty fuzzi for adding this!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping I'll have a bit if time to dig around and find more info about milk thistle now. It has been a rough year for me as far as my thyroid goes. It has been a year now sice I have been diagnosed and my current numbers are now worse than when I started! I thnk it is very much stress related but unfortunately there is not much I can do with my current work and school situation.
    The office I visit has both an MD doctor as well as an NP. Both are very helpful and knowledgable as far as thyroid. I take Armour because I have a hard time converting T4. I've also supplemented with B12, selenium, magnesium and Vit D without my numbers improving much. The Dr's comment was more in passing while I was in getting new labs drawn. He asked if I was supplementing with Milk Thistle and I said no, had someone bring me a pamphlet (not related to thyroid) and told me I may want to look into it.
    Just digging for anything that will help improve my situation.