How Accurate Is Your Activity Monitor?

Options
Morgaath
Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html

Study of 30 males and 30 females wearing all 8 devices while completing a 69minute program.

From the article:

Here's how they fared (ranked by error rating):
BodyMedia FIT: 9.3 percent
Fitbit Zip: 10.1 percent
Fitbit One: 10.4 percent
Jawbone Up: 12.2 percent
ActiGraph: 12.6 percent
Directlife: 12.8 percent
Nike FuelBand: 13 percent
Basis Band: 23.5 percent

From the study summary:
Results: For overall group comparisons, MAPE values (computed as the average absolute value of the group level errors) were 9.3, 10.1, 10.4, 12.2, 12.6, 12.8, 13.0, and 23.5% for the BodyMedia FIT, Fitbit Zip, Fitbit One, Jawbone Up, ActiGraph, DirectLife, NikeFuel Band, and Basis B1 band, respectively. The results from the equivalence testing showed the estimates from the BodyMedia FIT, Fitbit Zip, and NikeFuel Band (90% CI: 341.1, 359.4) were each within the 10% equivalence zone around the indirect calorimetry estimate.

Conclusions: The indicators of the agreement clearly favored the BodyMedia FIT armband but promising preliminary findings were also observed with the Fibit Zip.

Replies

• 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to question mine spent 3 hours painting climbing up and down a latter and it says I've done nothing since my workout at 8 this morning! even deducted 100 calorie burn.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mine has been accurate for the year I have been using it, no problems... best thing I ever bought. :)
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I still use the BodyBugg V3 (a model I purchased several years ago) and my device seems to yield a very accurate total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) even after all this time. If you think your device may be off, check your MET settings--- 3-6 METs for moderate and 6+ for vigorous. Overall, the devices offered by BodyMedia are the most accurate on the market currently in comparison to others, such as the jawbone, fitbit, fuelband.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I still use the BodyBugg V3 (a model I purchased several years ago) and my device seems to yield a very accurate total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) even after all this time. If you think your device may be off, check your MET settings--- 3-6 METs for moderate and 6+ for vigorous. Overall, the devices offered by BodyMedia are the most accurate on the market currently in comparison to others, such as the jawbone, fitbit, fuelband.

I've had the BodyMedia Fit Link for a year and found it pretty reliable.
    Yes - definately check the MET settings... I had to adjust mine to as when I was just walking around at work it was showing as Moderate Activity. I am generally a fast walker but I wanted to be sure it only tracked when I was more active.

Also, be sure to clean the back of it occassionally! Over time the sensors become dirty and don't conduct as well. I have alchol wipes that are packed individually - I open one, squeeze out the excess alcohol while it's still in the packet, and do a quick wipe down and let it air dry for about 10 min.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you have a very sedentary job--sitting in front of computer ALL day. Would you recommend keeping the METS as they are? I have not adjusted my METS b/c of this, but can understand why those with a job that requires them to walk around alot would.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you have a very sedentary job--sitting in front of computer ALL day. Would you recommend keeping the METS as they are? I have not adjusted my METS b/c of this, but can understand why those with a job that requires them to walk around alot would.

No need to adjust them unless you want to. They are merely a way for you to get notice when you get your activity level up to a certain level.
    A friend is recovering from a heart attack, and is obese. She is pushing it to walk at 1.2mph for 20 minutes on a treadmill...so she has her METs set really low (I think her moderate level is set at 1.75-2.5) so that she can tell when she hits, what for her, is higher numbers.
    Now someone who is moving fast/hard all day...if you are showing 6-10 hrs of moderate activity a day...then bounce it up so you can tell when you really do start hitting higher than your normal activity levels.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options

No need to adjust them unless you want to. They are merely a way for you to get notice when you get your activity level up to a certain level.
    A friend is recovering from a heart attack, and is obese. She is pushing it to walk at 1.2mph for 20 minutes on a treadmill...so she has her METs set really low (I think her moderate level is set at 1.75-2.5) so that she can tell when she hits, what for her, is higher numbers.
    Now someone who is moving fast/hard all day...if you are showing 6-10 hrs of moderate activity a day...then bounce it up so you can tell when you really do start hitting higher than your normal activity levels.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. I will leave my mets as set by BMF.