Off Days...

Options
ChasingMyBliss
ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
I am just starting the lifting program outlined in the book, but I have been working out 5 days a week for years. I do not want to only work out 3 times a week. The protocol in the book says that on the days I am not lifting, I can do other things, as long as they are still allowing for muscle recovery. What kind of workouts do you ladies do on the "off days"?

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    When I was in stage 1 I would do HIIT cardio on the treadmill or elliptical on non lifting days. Once I hit stages 2 and 3 I felt much more tired and sore so I either took the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday off (I lift M, W and F) and just did some cardio on Saturdays, or did some light cardio on the non lift days (like some brisk walking or elliptical without too much resistance).
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    agree with pudding - the further you get into the program the harder it becomes to do additional workouts. in stage 1 i continued with some running an additional 2-3 days a week. for stage 2 i had a running injury halfway through so i pared down to one additional day of cardio HITT. now i'm in stage 3 and it's tough. i try to take brisk walks on non workout days.

welcome btw - you're gonna love this program!

HTH
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am just finishing stage one next week. Its my first time lifting and I am in love with it. I currently do HIIT type cardio workouts at my gym for 30 minutes on the same days I lift. It has become part of my warmup. On my "off" days, I walk a couple of miles.
    Now I am not sure what to do with stage 2, where HIIT workouts are done after your lifting workout. I'm wondering if it really matters if I do it before or after lifting. I will be posing that question soon here and on the FB page.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am just finishing stage one next week. Its my first time lifting and I am in love with it. I currently do HIIT type cardio workouts at my gym for 30 minutes on the same days I lift. It has become part of my warmup. On my "off" days, I walk a couple of miles.
    Now I am not sure what to do with stage 2, where HIIT workouts are done after your lifting workout. I'm wondering if it really matters if I do it before or after lifting. I will be posing that question soon here and on the FB page.

I'm not an expert in these topics, but as far as I've talked to bodybuilders who are my friends, and done hours of researched online (yes, I'm that free), it is better to do weight lifting first before any cardio or HIIT, aside from warm up. The reason is because weight lifting requires tremendous amount of energy and calories, so you wouldn't want to use it up in HIIT, which also USES A LOT of energy, as it is anaerobic exercise that will tap glycogen like weight lifting.
    So, when you do HIIT for 15-20 minutes at the end, it is just using the rest of your energyleft and that won't interfere with your lifting progress.
    Try it out and see how it goes!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I agree with queenierz.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I walk on my off days. Burns a few calories, but isn't particularly taxing on the muscles. And it helps clear my head, always a plus!

I injured myself last week at the end of stage 6, so I'll be walking for a while, it seems :( bah!