Is it normal?

Options
CarlaMomOf4
CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
So I have been running for awhile but I should have been using the c25k schedule because I was running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 but never got over that time. Figured out that I probably need to take more of a rest period between runs in order for my body to recover enough to up the run times. I seem to run as slow as a turtle but I can get through 5k in about 37 minutes. I hope to change it up and get better. My question is that when I start my first 3 minute run, it's all I can do to complete it and that's at the very beginning! Is it normal to be that winded at the beginning? Usually the next few runs aren't quite as bad but shouldn't the first ones be the best ones?

Replies

• Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You're probably going at it too fast. You definitely shouldn't be feeling winded. If that's the case, it should be your indicator to slow down. You should be able to carry on a short conversation when you run. I typically found that my first segment was always the slowest, because I was still settling into my pace..
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    I don't think it's speed, I run at the pace of a turtle LOL SO I don't think I could slow it down any further. :)
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised... I bet you're running faster than you realize. I just started bridge to 10k and I had to slow down my run from an 11 minute mile to about a 13:30 minute mile in order to keep going.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    I run about a 11.5/12 minute mile right now, depends on the day
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    After completing C25K back in March, I'm now training for a half-marathon. On many runs, my first mile is the slowest before I start getting into my stride.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    So I have been running for awhile but I should have been using the c25k schedule because I was running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 but never got over that time. Figured out that I probably need to take more of a rest period between runs in order for my body to recover enough to up the run times. I seem to run as slow as a turtle but I can get through 5k in about 37 minutes. I hope to change it up and get better. My question is that when I start my first 3 minute run, it's all I can do to complete it and that's at the very beginning! Is it normal to be that winded at the beginning? Usually the next few runs aren't quite as bad but shouldn't the first ones be the best ones?

This is not slow. Seriously, you probably need to slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are trying to go too fast.

The first mile is always the worst!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

This is not slow for this stage of the game. You should be going a lot slower in the beginning.....like perhaps a 15-16 minute mile (or slower). It's very hard to pace yourself that slowly but the slow pace will get you through the C25K training and you'll make it to the end. Speed will come over time, all by itself.

I've been running for 1 1/2 years now and run at a 11-12 minute/mile pace now. I am a slow runner, perhaps, but this isn't a beginner pace.

Listen to Ceci.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Slow down then.

Personally I find the first couple of miles quite difficult, until I've loosened up and got into the flow of the run.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys, I should mention I have been running for about a year now, but mucked up using the couch25k, should have followed instructions LOL Then I would be running 'properly' by now. I'm glad to know it's normal to have a slow k or 2 at the beginning. I will try to slow it down a little, but I feel as though I'm crawling along as it is. It's going to be a hard habit to break. I'm looking forward to getting on the proper c25k train this week and bump up my run spans.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I've been running for a year and a half and I'm rocking a 14 minute mile. I've been faster (my 5k time is around 32 minutes), but that's my conversational pace right now.

I was running 20+ minute miles in week three. If you are going as slow as you can and aren't recovering in the rest periods, stop and stretch instead of walking.

You will get this.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Bumping this back up to let you all know about the 5k I ran this weekend past. As usual I started out and was struggling at the 1k mark. A lady came up behind me and gave me the same advice as you all did. Slow down she says, your trying to push yourself too hard. She was nice and ran beside me for the next bit and I ran successfully for close to 3k (15 minutes) before my brain took over and told me to stop for a break. It was a great feeling to have ran that far in one shot. As I have been struggling with this for awhile. It's amazing that you may feel as through you are going slow, but indeed you can slow down a tad more. I will have to practice a bunch to keep the pace where it needs to be, but I think it was a great starting point. Now to train my brain to stay with the flow. Even as I slowed my running slightly I still came out ahead and set a new pr by taking off about 30 seconds off my time. Thanks to all who gave advice, it was indeed the best advice! :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back up to let you all know about the 5k I ran this weekend past. As usual I started out and was struggling at the 1k mark. A lady came up behind me and gave me the same advice as you all did. Slow down she says, your trying to push yourself too hard. She was nice and ran beside me for the next bit and I ran successfully for close to 3k (15 minutes) before my brain took over and told me to stop for a break. It was a great feeling to have ran that far in one shot. As I have been struggling with this for awhile. It's amazing that you may feel as through you are going slow, but indeed you can slow down a tad more. I will have to practice a bunch to keep the pace where it needs to be, but I think it was a great starting point. Now to train my brain to stay with the flow. Even as I slowed my running slightly I still came out ahead and set a new pr by taking off about 30 seconds off my time. Thanks to all who gave advice, it was indeed the best advice! :smile:

When you've been around a bit more, you'll find that all distance runners describe themselves as "slow." And then they'll name a training pace that's the same as your race pace.

And you will laugh at them inside and tell them that it is, in fact, possible to run more slowly than that. I think everybody behind the first three runners in a race feels slow.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Well done! You did great.

You'll find your pacing; just keep running. Great race!