can someone explain

Options
creay2012
creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
Can someone explain in simple terms the reason to have not only your t4 and tsh run but why the free t4 and free t3? my endo does not run the free t4 or t3 and I am trying to figure out is this something I should ask for?

trying to learn as much as possible

Replies

• bernernewf
    bernernewf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Free t 4 and free t3 are what you shoukd have run and they shoukd be in optimal range. T3 is very important. If you're dr is only running TSH, time for a new doc.

Let's see if I can explain it simply. I'll give you links, too, to really help you, the thyroid produces several hormones including t4 and t3. T3 is considered the workhorse of the thyroid. T4 is a storage hormone that's supposed to convert to t3, but a lot of people don't convert. T3 is our metabolism, our energy. Synthroid only provides t4. Soooo, if you don't convert, you're missing the important t3.

I take a combo of synthroid ( or else my free t4 drops) and Westhroid (a natural dessicated thyroid med that contains ALL thyroid hormones). We aim to keep my free t3 at top of range, free t4 mid range to a little lower.

I'd start by going to the thyroid group called Thyroid Sexy. Look at the notes.
    Mary Shomon has excellent info.
    Stop the Thyroid Madness website, not Facebook.

I don't have a thyroid.
  • creay2012
    Options
    thank you I also do not have a thyroid. I just made my apt with my endo and asked to have labs added before I go in to see him.

Hopefully the numbers can shed some light on why I am so tired all the time with no energy
  • bernernewf
    bernernewf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have one either. Make you ask for free t3 and free t 4. If he only checks TSH, find new dr.
  • creay2012
    Options
    My apt is coming up and I am happy to say my dr did write me a new script for all the labs. now I just have to wait and get results
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Free t 4 and free t3 are what you shoukd have run and they shoukd be in optimal range. T3 is very important. If you're dr is only running TSH, time for a new doc.

Let's see if I can explain it simply. I'll give you links, too, to really help you, the thyroid produces several hormones including t4 and t3. T3 is considered the workhorse of the thyroid. T4 is a storage hormone that's supposed to convert to t3, but a lot of people don't convert. T3 is our metabolism, our energy. Synthroid only provides t4. Soooo, if you don't convert, you're missing the important t3.

I take a combo of synthroid ( or else my free t4 drops) and Westhroid (a natural dessicated thyroid med that contains ALL thyroid hormones). We aim to keep my free t3 at top of range, free t4 mid range to a little lower.

I'd start by going to the thyroid group called Thyroid Sexy. Look at the notes.
    Mary Shomon has excellent info.
    Stop the Thyroid Madness website, not Facebook.

I don't have a thyroid.
    Did you have your thyroid removed due to cancer?
    Dessicated hormones aka Armour are not recommended for those who have had thyroid cancer and that is why we all get stuck on Synthroid. We need suppression in order to keep the thyroid cancer from coming back. My doctor does not check ALL thyroid hormones either because ALL thyroid hormones aren't being replaced.
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My apt is coming up and I am happy to say my dr did write me a new script for all the labs. now I just have to wait and get results
    because you had cancer they won't check all the hormones. it isnt about getting us back to normal, it's about suppressing the cancer.
  • creay2012
    Options
    I am starting to realize the only thing the dr cares about is the suppression. but I need a way to battle all the symptoms. I am starting to think most of my symptoms are from the carbs I reduced my carb intake (per my primary for another reason) and I haven't felt tired in 2 weeks (no nap needed) and starting to feel a little better. We shall see I have only been doing this 2 weeks.