back where I started

Options
mtdang
mtdang Posts: 35 Member
So discouraged after weighing in--gained the 4 pounds I lost! Does everyone weigh their food? All I can think of is that I must really be underestimating my portions. If anything I underestimate exercise (usually don't include short walks during work breaks, doing stairs at the train station while waiting for the train, etc). Must be doing something wrong or nearing mid-forties is wreaking havoc on my metabolism. Any thoughts?

Replies

• kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. I can't imagine having to do so. Could it be water weight? I'm 45 and its sooo easy to gain now and I fluctuate more. Getting weight off practically takes an act of god! Give it some time and it might level out!
  • Sivangj
    Sivangj Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Weight goes up and down all the time. And I often find my self back were I started after had lost around the same as you. During a day our weight can change around 2 pounds, so I try to get on my scale the same days at the same time. (monday moring before breakfast)
    In start I weigh all my food just to get an ida on how much is right. I know I would have underestimate if I havent. Still I strugle on getting enough kcal. And that can make the body stop up and even gain. So now I try to get around my 1200 a day.
    Getting in the 40s dont make it easyer either metabolism known to make it harder.
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    First, don't get discouraged. Remember the scale is only PART of this journey. It is how we feel, how our clothes feel, the new found energy we have, etc. How long have you been at this and was this 4 lb gain a weekly gain, a gain in a month? Our scales can up and down like a freaking yo-yo just in a day! It could be water retention, too much sodium, TOM, food hasn't digested yet in the body.

Everyone is different in terms of how they choose to change their eating habits, how much they eat and how they record it. No matter what, you do what is best for you and what works for you. The following things are what work for me:

1. When I weigh myself I do it on the same day, same time. Best for me is first thing in the morning after I have been to the little girl's room and in the buff. I record weekly but I do weigh everyday and track the trend...as long as the line is going down (and sometimes stays the same) then I am doing something right. That being said, do not weigh yourself everyday if it will stress you out...not a good thing :)
    2. I do weigh everything, the food scale is my best friend and it has become second nature to me. It has really helped my portion control. I find there is a lot of "junk" on the food database with totally wrong NI values, but if you look you will find the right ones, etc. If I can't find it then I add it to make sure I am recording correctly. When I go out, I guesstimate my calories. I also drink at least 8 cups a water a day.
    3. I do take a day off from recording (usually Saturdays) and while I don't go nuts with food/drink, I just enjoy myself without worrying about recording (and yes, the scale is always higher on Sundays..ha ha). It has worked for me. Like I said, what works for one person, doesn't always work for someone else. It is trial and error for all of us.
    4. Don't cut out any food group, don't deny yourself. Just portion control it. I am a firm believer in the 80/20 rule for eating. 80% all healthy and 20% my treats.

Hope these tidbits help. Feel free to add me as a friend and see my diary etc. Like I said at the beginning, don't let this gain get you down as it could be so many things. Just try to find out what it was and change things up a little. Good luck and have a great day!
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It's gotten that much harder to lose weight now that I'm 44. I'm fairly active and a foodie so need to balance the two some how. I've now how to incorporate a weight training plan just to boost my metabolism because cardio alone wasn't working. I'm managing to lose weight verrrrrry slowly but don't want to give. Good luck with you weight loss.
  • bartcal
    bartcal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do have a scale, but I don't use it for everything. I just started using it again to help me confirm portion sizes while logging. I had a long layoff from my healthy habits and recently started paying attention to this type of thing again. Once I get comfortable "eye-balling" things again, I'll use the scale for spot checks or when I want to be sure of how much I'm eating. I refused to get a scale for years, but when I last got serious about eating better, I found it was just easier to get a scale for a reasonable price than to try and guess all the time.

Regarding weighing myself, I try to avoid doing it everyday, but usually can't help myself. But, I only weight myself in the morning, before I eat anything. Find a consistent time of day and/or week to weigh yourself. I am now at the back end of my 40's and am finding my body is way more confused (thanks menopause) than before. Water weight can play a big difference when you look at the scale, so don't stress over the alleged weight gain. Just log it and move on. My weight fluctuates quite a bit and I just log it an move on. I've found that it is more important to pay attention to how my clothes fit and/or how my body actually looks, than the physical number.
  • fitfancyfree3
    Options
    Hi. It could possibly be due to the physiological changes as the human body ages, decreased metabolism, etc. Although, you also have to remember that humans can carry on average 5 pounds of waste in the body daily. It could also be water weight, and or the time of the day that you weigh yourself. Don't give up, stay encouraged. Stay disciplined and the desired results will surely come.
    I hope this helps.
  • mtdang
    Options
    Thanks all! I do have an unused food scale I may give a try for some stuff and need to be better about weighing--will probably stick to once a week, same scale, same time of day. Hadn't weighed myself regularly since I lost the baby weight 3 years ago so forgot the rules! My clothes definitely don't feel as tight as they did so maybe something is going right. Well, off to take a "telework" break and head to the Y for a workout.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think weighing food is very important. I got a digital scale from amazon. I find it easy and is just part of my routine now.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    ugh me to , now I have cut out all carbs and poof I start dropping right away, its always been that way for me, and increased my water intake , I despise the rat bast&&$*&$ scale :drinker:
  • marrisu
    marrisu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things. As an example, last night a chicken breast that i thought was 6 oz was actually 4 ounces, a 40ish calorie difference but it can add up in a day especially if its something more calorie laden than chicken. I don't eat my extra calories from exercise and I have taken carb allowance down to the 40's instead of 50 and raised my proteins.
  • mtdang
    Options
    Thanks. I have been relying too much on those exercise calories I think. I have heard you really can't use them to "cancel out" what you ate in exactly the way the system does it.
    That being said I am not optimistic about progress over the next few weeks--home to Chicago and my fave pizza place is right near where I am staying!