Calories and Carbs

Options
merlynn
merlynn Posts: 17 Member
I have been lowish carb (50-75) for a while (11 months!) at around 1200 calories (sometimes less) and lost 40lbs. I have been at a plateau +/- 3 pounds since DECEMBER. I obviously couldn't lower my calories any so I decided to lower my carbs further to 20-25. I have also increased my calories so now I'm between 1300-1700. I've been at this calorie/carb level for about 2 weeks - no change so far.

My question is should I worry about the added calories? It doesn't seem to be causing a gain (yet). I do plan to increase my exercise (not doing any right now due to work schedule). I'm 5'6", 45, female.

I'm just wondering what a good calorie level to shoot for (or stay under) is. I have about 30lbs to go!

Thanks.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Do resistance training and try eating two meals a day. You don't need to reduce the calories if it is not causing you to gain initially. But you can cycle the cals one week with 1700 and 1500 on others. Limit your cardio, I had the best fat burn on the weeks with little to no cardio.
  • angylx
    angylx Posts: 6
    Options
    You are not eating enough cals for your height/weight which means you are slowing your metabolism more and more the longer you go on that way so good on your for upping your cals and no, you shouldn't worry.

You should be eating roughly 2000 cals per day (depending on weight) to MAINTAIN. You were eating way less than that and not loosing so shows your metabolism is not in a good place right now. I recommend you calculate your cal needs (you can use mfp to calculate...the "goal" feature) and eat at maintenance cals for at least a week (no deficit). I also recommend a "refeed" day that same week (eat some carbs one day, a normal amount of carbs, at every meal). The next week go back to minus 500 cals a day (or however you want to break up the deficit...you can spread out over the week as well) and see how your body reacts. Yes you're gonna bloat up after your carb/refeed day but the water weight will pass just like it always does.
  • merlynn
    merlynn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm actually down 1/2 a pound and not hungry all the time for once. I'm going to get back to the gym this weekend for resistance training and probably just 30 minutes of intervals on the treadmill (sprint 1 min, walk 2). That's the plan anyway!
  • angylx
    angylx Posts: 6
    Options
    Good for you! You know the exercise will help as well...good luck!