Starting TOM after childbirth

tiggerhammon
tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
Curious to see how this worked out for different women. I know some women don't start until after they have stopped breastfeeding and others start again right away.
With my daughter, I started again about 3 months post partum. Hoping with this little guy I get luckier.

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    After my first, I went back on the pill at 4 months and hadn't yet had TOM. I partially breastfed for 10 weeks as he'd lost 30% of his birth weight and never took to breastfeeding.

With my second I partially fed again due to similar issues. I stopped that at 11 weeks when she point blank refused to latch on, and TOM started about 4 weeks later.

I'm now 8.5 weeks post partum with no.3 and again partially feeding, and I haven't had TOM yet. I thought it was starting a week or so ago, and I had some light bleeding for 2 days, then it stopped.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    With exclusively BFing.....started back at 4 months with my first 3, 7 with my 4th, and 5 with my 5th and 6th...
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    With my first it was 8 mos. I went back to work at 8 weeks and mostly pumped/nursed, but he had a few cans of formula when I couldn't keep up with his growth spurts. With my second, it was a full year, so we hadn't been exclusively bf for about 6 months, plus I pump since I work full time. I was surprised!

Four months in with this little guy and I have no idea what to expect.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Mine came back at 11.5 months PP (almost made it to my "goal" of 12 months! Not like I could really control it...) I was still breastfeeding about 5 times most days at that point. My first period was fine, second and third were back to the God awful ones I had pre-pregnancy. We were planning to get going on #2 anyway, but the return of horrible periods certainly helped the decision! Got pregnant before having a 4th period and really enjoying being period-free for quite a while again!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    I started two months PP but was not breastfeeding. Then I had like two or three cycles that were seriously two weeks long so not sure if that was ovulation bleeding or just messed up cycles. I am not almost six months PP and they are pretty normal.
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Exclusively pumped with both kids until they were 1yr old. With my daughter I started 4.5months and with my son 7months booo
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    8 months with my first baby (and was my only period as I got pregnant the next cycle). Second I didn't get one, I got pregnant again at 6.5 months, so I figure my first period would have been 7 months. Hoping for longer this time! I'm not looking to get pregnant again right away. Would love as long of a break as I can get!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    With my first, we majorly supplemented him, and I quit BFing/pumping entirely at 3 months pp because of the frustration. My period came back literally the same day I decided to quit!

With my second, we EBFed for 5.5 months, then we started solids but still BFed a lot. (I weaned him at a year.) My period came back at 10 months.