July Chat

Options
Wooken3
Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
canada_day_2014-3.jpgyioxnkyiE.jpeg

Since I'm being a night owl, I'll kick off the July Chat page. football.gif

The Phoenix area is heating up, no surprise there as it is July and we are in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. smiley-happy032.gif I was please to be able to continue biking outside during the very early morning hours in June. But it just ain't a'gonna happen in July. So what to do about exercise? I know…let's sell the house and move!

CAgirl asked where we were moving to, well the short answer is: don't know yet. I would like to rent a few years in different parts of the country but Hubby isn't too crazy about that idea. He is thinking more along the lines of buying a small condo and a larger RV. Where this condo would be located is still under discussion. :wink:

So taking the one step at a time approach, we will be spending the next six months getting the house ready to sell. And after living here for 18-years, there is a lot of fixin' up and tossing' out needing' to be done. smiley-chores039.gif

So how is everyone else planning to spend their July?

fiets805.gif Exceeded June's 250 mile biking goal by .4 miles this morning - Yeah Me!!

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have some exciting options and new adventures ahead. What fun!

On our vacation to the Smoky Mountains this spring I ran into a woman who said she was a "half back." She said she was originally from Minnesota or Wisconsin, but when they retired they decided to move to Florida to get away from the cold. But they didn't like the heat and humidity so they moved to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee which was "half way back!" :laugh:

My lunchtime walks have been curtailed over the past week or so. Just too hot and humid at lunchtime. I'm lucky though because I do have the option to walk the indoor track at the gym.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people leave the desert in the summer, but we always loved it then. For us the best time of year. Traffic and crowds were less and we enjoyed the heat.

As far as July, it's going to be a continuation of June. Trying to keep my stress under control, caring for my mother, and also canning, freezing and preserving what we reap from our garden.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother with the RV idea... I just moved and rented places. It appears my house in Silver City is in the process of selling this month... I love Silver City and have lots of friends there... so if I am so inclined I will return and rent a little cabin or something.

My parents did the exploring with an RV and that is how they ended up in NM, finding the community they liked best and moving,.

Good luck with your plans. Exciting!!!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Your lives all sound very exciting to me....we have lived here for 40 years and have never moved house...I don't see it happening! In England the weather is always changing - and I like that...I love the different seasons and the variety that brings to our lives...I would love to live near the sea but as I say I don't think we will ever move now.

Started the month off with good walks and a swim :bigsmile:

Jean
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    I think we should all send Wooken a paragraph on why we live were we do and what we like and don't like about the area. Then she can come around and visit all of us. It has been 20 years since we built our house in the county of NC. I don't see ever selling this place unless we just couldn't take care of it anymore. Besides, the kids and the grandkids are also here. But i too would love to live near the ocean. Happy 4th to everyone and please be safe. God Bless.

Pam
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my 60 yrs. and over buddies!! I really need to get a handle on my excercise!! I do really well, then back slide and not lose. Here is my GREAT BIG LOSS ~ 1 lb ~ I know I will get a handle on it and make progress. I am doing better on my intake. I think the Florida vacation was a BIG setback. However I do not regret it ( I had a blast with my girls ).

I agree the heat and humidity is a real BLOW to ones stamina during excercise, but I also can not forget how Yukky it was to try and walk in snow. Let's all enjoy the summer and not indulge TOO much, for these days will pass all to quickly.

Happy Fourth Losers!! :drinker:
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For we Canucks
    wish-you-a-happy-canada-day.jpg

It is Territory Day here too but they had the holiday yesterday so everyone had a long weekend. My DH is taking of the 4th as most of his clients are in the US.

I LOVE living on a small island where, despite all the frustrations of not getting things and the poor service, I wake up every morning and look at the ocean. That makes up for everything. So Wooken, if you want to be very adventurous, check out an island near us...St John USVI. It must be one of the most beautiful spots on earth. The cycling would be serious with all the hills though. The weather is more temperate here thanks to the trade winds blowing almost constantly. And no snow!!!!

Right now we are looking after 2 dogs while friends are away for a few weeks. These dogs have known our 2 for their whole lives so they do well together. One of my fur babies .....10 yrs old.....is not doing very well right now with chronic bronchitis ...I told her to quit smoking! I am giving her inhalers twice a day and spoon feeding her. But please....don't think I spoil my animals or anything! :laugh:

I am now working on my last 5 pounds of my weight loss. What a difference having support makes. And this group has been positive and non judgmental unlike some other groups on MFP. Thank you all for your support even when you did not know you were giving any.

Wanda......no longer lurking
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Happy Canada Day and almost 4th of July.....sounds exciting about the move...lots to do and consider but will be fun and wherever it is I am sure you will make the best of it even though it may not be perfect. Can't wait to hear all about it...
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wooken - Good luck with preparing for the big move , regardless of where you end up it will always be an adventure. :wink:

I am looking forward to a staying focused throughout the month of July to really get me back on track. I am not fond of the hot weather coming in lately, especially since I do not like to get my exercise in the early morning. Of course, I complain about the cold in the winter too. :smile:

I am truly looking forward to visiting our grand daughter over the long weekend. She stole my heart the day she was born. It is hard to believe she will be turning 4 in a couple of months.

- JB
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Happy Canada right back to you - and congratulations I can not yet imagine only having 5 lbs to go.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi People!
    Really hot here today, which I do not like. Fortunately, I have an air conditioner in my apartment so I stay comfortable.

I was born in New York City, lived there until I was 6.We then moved to the suburbs....New Rochelle and later Rye. I went to college in Connecticut (New London) and lived there with my husband who was in the Navy and stationed there. We moved to Rochester, NY when he got out of the Navy. We got divorced after 7 years (he had an affair with my best friend...classy, no?) and I just stayed here......

I've had a beastly headache all day. I've had a LOT of these headaches lately....almost every day. It's exhausting.

Eating is difficult, in that I don't WANT to eat, and I eat very little. And no, my intake...and lack thereof...has nothing to do with the headaches. They are a chronic medical problem. I'm just not hungry, nothing appeals to me. I do try, and what I do eat is always healthy.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am really glad my weight loss is staying off because that is the best thing I can say for today. I have a flu/cold/sinus infection or something and my DH decided our fur baby had to see the vet NOW so he took her.....a first! She had a biopsy and we will get the results next week. I now have a bed companion for the afternoon as she sleeps off the anesthetic.

What a downer post! Sorry......:embarassed:

For all of you heading into the long weekend........enjoy:drinker:

Wanda
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Happy 4th of July Everyone!!

Link is a view of the season's first Haboob (dust storm) as it moved into Phoenix last night. Now off to burn some calories hosing the off dirt that is covering everything outside :)

==> http://www.aerialsphere.com/spheres/arizona/haboob07032014/

Sorry, I couldn't get the image to load so you will have to copy and paste the link :grumble:

haboob07032014
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Bit off it here too...got an infection/abcess on a tooth....taking painkillers and anti-biotics...not feeling like doing much at all really....... :ohwell:

Jean
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    On our vacation to the Smoky Mountains this spring I ran into a woman who said she was a "half back." She said she was originally from Minnesota or Wisconsin, but when they retired they decided to move to Florida to get away from the cold. But they didn't like the heat and humidity so they moved to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee which was "half way back!" :laugh:

Charlie, our oldest son & family live in Pinehurst, NC (I think it must be the golfing capital of the USA LOL)
    They have the same there - people that retired to Florida and then moved to Pinehurst - they also call themselves "half way back" thought that was interesting!!
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Wooken3

Would you please tell me how you post the pictures on the message boards? I have tried and tried but have not succeeded!
    Thanks
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Hello to all! :love:

I have missed posting with all of you - my MFP friends.

OK - I have lived in Kansas all of my life - and basically do not like it :frown:
    Our son that lives in NC says: they have 30 bad weather days a year - as we have 30 good weather days a year!

It certainly does have its advantages, but

I was going to be a world traveler then I met my dear hubby - We were married while in college, started our teaching careers in SE Kansas, then moved to the family farm. We have been here since the summer of 1970. I think the only reason we would ever move from here is if our son needs to move to the farm and we move into town. But, I really do not see that happening.

When we moved back to the farm it is only 20 miles from where I grew up - that was my world traveling LOL :drinker:

I would love to travel the USA, Canada, & etc. I have had the fortune to be in a few states but there are many I have not had the pleasure of investigating. I would love to be in a RV and travel - but I would always come back home LOL Besides, Larry will never do that, but that is OK.

Well I have rambled enough for today - thanks for always being here!! :love:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    @Rebamae: Sent you a message :flowerforyou:
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I live in Columbus, Ohio. Was born and raised in Erie, Pa (lots and lots of snow). Moved to Pittsburgh after I got married (love the Burgh if you don't have to get around) and we lived there for 10 years. Got transferred to Columbus.

After we got divorced, I had my job and the kids needed to stay near their dad, so this became home. My kids are still here and the grandkids, so, I don't see me leaving.

I could never live where it is hot! I love the seasons when we have them. (Columbus tends to have winter and summer). Actually, if it has to be extreme cold or heat, I'll take the cold! Columbus weather isn't the greatest, but it is a really nice city. Actually, I live in Westerville, which is a northern suburb and really a nice little town. A friend in France saw pictures of it and said it reminded her of "Back to the Future!" Extremely family friendly.

Columbus has lots to do. Summers are packed with festivals and other events. Has a world class zoo (Jack Hanna made it what it is) and Science center. A pro hockey team and pro soccer team. Of course, OSU football (I'm not a OSU fan though). Great theater (important to me) and a wonderful symphony (also important to me).

I never travelled as a kid or when I was married much. We always seemed to take our vacations back to PA to visit family. After I got divorced, I did go a little more. Some on business, and some with boyfriends. Realized it was fun to see new things!

I really got the traveling bug after the kids were grown and have been to Europe many times, Mexico, Canada (Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, all over Ontario, and Montreal) and 31 States + D.C. After my heart problems, I slowed down my traveling for a few years, but if it weren't for saving for retirement, I would be going more again now. Also, I prefer to travel alone and, except of going with my family, I will not travel with others.

If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be France (a village in Burgundy). I also love New Mexico (high desert), Maine, and Washington.

Oops, this turned long, didn't it?
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That is a great story Charlie. It sounds like you really like Columbus. I love to travel too, but have been doing so less over the last couple of years. My work environment has not allowed for traveling , unless it is going to another city for the job. Planning on going to San Diego in October for a friends wedding, so am really looking forward to that.

I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday with your family and friends!

So my following the program was not great over the long weekend. Much good times with friends and family, but way too much food :ohwell: It is time to get back in the right direction. I still have a long was to go on this journey, and will not let this little bump get in the way of making progress.

- JB